Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High RAM usage - Windows 7

• 16-07-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm running a Compaq Presario CQ56 notebook on Windows 7 SP1. Athlon II P320 Dual Core 2.1GHz processor and 2Gb of RAM. It's a 64 bit OS.

Problem is that the machine is incredibly slow. I've installed all applicable updates and ran MSE and Malwarebytes. I've also ran CCleaner too.

However, when monitoring the performance, the RAM utilisation is sitting at a steady 1.4Gb used. I believe this is causing the slow response.

I've looked at the running processes, Firefox is consuming 275,000K, next up is explorer at 20,000K. There are 63 processes reported as running by the task manager.

CPU usage is quite low (>10%) with some noise.

What could be causing the high RAM usage and how do I speed up the System safely?

In the past I used a program (Whose name I can't remember) and posted the log online to be deciphered. However, I can't remember what it was or where to post.

This slowness is not only slow on login but continues for a long period of time afterwards. I've now had the machine powered for approx 45 minutes and the RAM usage as dropped (step change) to 0.98Gb.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just finished running FixIt from Windows Support. It reported no issues. Usage now sitting at 1.22GB.

Just spent ages trying to get Flash 18.0.0.209 to install, but it turns out that Firebox might have blocked it on purpose due to security issues!

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Just spent ages trying to get Flash 18.0.0.209 to install, but it turns out that Firebox might have blocked it on purpose due to security issues!

:(

That's the latest version, not blocked by FF.

If you're having installation issues, there's a direct link on the flash page.

2GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS is asking for trouble. Rather than looking at the memory usage graph (which only shows your physical memory usage), look at the "Commit (MB)" value on that same tab. This will show you the total amount of memory used - physical and virtual. If this is higher than 2GB then you need more RAM.

Also, since you have an AMD CPU, it's quite possible that your integrated video is using 256MB or 512MB of RAM to operate, so you may have as little as 1.5GB usable to Windows.

Karsini wrote: »
    2GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS is asking for trouble.
    That is what was installed out of the shop - machine has not been modded in any way.
    Rather than looking at the memory usage graph (which only shows your physical memory usage), look at the "Commit (MB)" value on that same tab. This will show you the total amount of memory used - physical and virtual. If this is higher than 2GB then you need more RAM.

2054/3573
    Also, since you have an AMD CPU, it's quite possible that your integrated video is using 256MB or 512MB of RAM to operate, so you may have as little as 1.5GB usable to Windows.
    It's 1.74Gb usable.

• Advertisement

Hoagy wrote: »
    That's the latest version, not blocked by FF.

If you're having installation issues, there's a direct link on the flash page.

Checked to see if I was runing the latest version - it said that I was. However, the Firefox Add-Ons is telling me I'm running 203.
    I'm aware that 209 is not meant to be blocked, but there is somethign dodgy going on here.

That is what was installed out of the shop - machine has not been modded in any way.

2054/3573

It's 1.74Gb usable.

There you go. You have 1.74GB of usable RAM and you're currently using 2054MB, a little over 2GB. You definitely need more RAM. I'd be looking at getting 4GB in there.

Just because a machine came with a certain amount of RAM, it doesn't mean that it's sufficient to run the system it was installed with, sure I remember seeing some laptops with 512MB of RAM running Vista! :eek:

I've ran a memory scanner and it shows:
    Slot "BANK0", 2 GB, Speed "1066 MHz SODIMM", Type "DDR3", Manufacturer "A-DATA Technology"

Is adding a single 2Gb matching RAM module all that is required. Am I correct in saying that the modeuls have to be matched - i.e. I can't add a 4Gb module?

Would there be any benefit in upgrading to 8Gb or would the step change to 4Gb be sufficient?

I've ran a memory scanner and it shows:
    Slot "BANK0", 2 GB, Speed "1066 MHz SODIMM", Type "DDR3", Manufacturer "A-DATA Technology"

Is adding a single 2Gb matching RAM module all that is required. Am I correct in saying that the modeuls have to be matched - i.e. I can't add a 4Gb module?

Would there be any benefit in upgrading to 8Gb or would the step change to 4Gb be sufficient?
    Looks like it's just a single 2GB in there, so yeah you could put a second one in. 4GB DDR2 modules can be quite expensive so it may not be affordable to put 8GB in, but Crucial say it can take 8GB alright. You probably wouldn't need 8GB though.

You can mix modules, such as putting in a 2GB and 4GB, but the memory controller is more efficient when there's a matched pair installed.

You can mix modules, such as putting in a 2GB and 4GB, but the memory controller is more efficient when there's a matched pair installed.

Would the advantage of a mixed pair (2Gb & 4Gb) be superior to a matched 2Gb pair? There doesn't seem to be a big difference in price between the 2Gb and the 4Gb modules.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Was looking on Crucial to see what is available. 4Gb module is £19. Whereas a 2Gb module is £11. Also 8Gb (2x4Gb) is £38 - which I believe is the maximum RAM that the system can cope with.

Where is the best place to purchase the moule and my above quesiont still stands - would the advantage of a mixed pair (2Gb & 4Gb) be superior to a matched 2Gb pair? My understanding is the mixed pairs will only affect dual channelling and the advantage is minimal - although reports on some forums I viewed state performance increases of 10% - 15%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can mix modules, such as putting in a 2GB and 4GB, but the memory controller is slightly more efficient when there's a matched pair installed.
    The difference is only about 10% of the speed of main memory. But that only comes into effect when the CPU has a cache miss so most of the time there's no difference.

If you have a pair of matched 2GB's they'll be 10% faster 10% of the time at best. Provided you are using less than 4GB of RAM.

But if you are using between 4 and 6GB of memory than 2+4 would be way faster than 2+2

If you are using more than 6GB of memory then you'll have to swap out to the pagefile on the disk regardless, though more RAM means not as often.

Other options are a USB stick for ready boost. But only while you have 2GB of RAM , if you have more it's not as useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're gonna keep her going Id give the disk a health check, at its age its at the point in the curve when failures start ramping up.

Use MSCONFIG to remove any startup item you can, that'll decrease boot times and shave a bit or RAM usage. Also ensure FF is on a modern version, older builds had memory whoring issues(that's now chromes job).

If you have a pair of matched 2GB's they'll be 10% faster 10% of the time at best. Provided you are using less than 4GB of RAM.

But if you are using between 4 and 6GB of memory than 2+4 would be way faster than 2+2

So, as my commit usage level is not above 4,000 then 2+2 will be 10% quicker than 4+2 for 10% of the time. I assume that this infers that for the remainder of the time that both have equal performance, correct?

But if the usage rises to between 4,000 and 6,000 then 2+4 will always be quicker than 2+2, correct?

It would seem, if I have understood things correctly, that the wise option is to go for a 4Gb module...

That's correct. If you need it, more RAM running at a slower speed will perform better than having less RAM running at a higher speed, because you won't be constantly paging to disk.

As an aside, do you know why the Windows 10 upgrade is not compatible with this laptop and would it be a wise upgrade if it turned out to be compatible?
    I ran the checker and it told me that the processor was not compatible.

Product Name Details
    Processor AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processors for Notebook PCs
    Model P320
    OPN Tray AMP320SGR22GM
    OPN PIB N/A
    Operating Mode 32 Bit Yes
    Operating Mode 64 Bit Yes
    Frequency (MHz) 2100
    System Bus Speed (MHz) 3200
    Wattage 25 W
    L2 Cache Size 512
    Process Technology 45nm SOI
    Package/Infrastructure Socket S1
    AMD Virtualization Technology Yes

VS
    Minimum system requirements for Windows 10 include a 1GHz processor or faster (single-core). 1GB of RAM will be necessary for the 32-bit version, while you’ll need to bump your computer up to 2GB if you plan on picking up the 64-bit build.

So it should be capable. But its a very old platform, getting all drivers to work might be a bit of a pain.

I've ran MSConfig and on the startup tab the following apps are checked:

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    Realtek HD Audio Manager
    Microsoft Security Client
    LightScribe
    Catalyst Control Center
    Default Manager
    Easybits Recovery
    hpwuSchd Application
    Java Platform SE Auto Updater

On the general tab, Selective Startup is checked and both Load system services and Load startup services subitems are selected.

On the Services tab, there is approx 150 services checked, with about 65 of them running.
    I have looked down that list, but I've no idea if anything can be dropped there to speed things up.

ED E wrote: »
    So it should be capable. But its a very old platform, getting all drivers to work might be a bit of a pain.

Okay, I'll stick with Win7 then - thanks.

I've run ran error checking and disk defrag on the drive. Defrag was scheduled so there was minimal updates needed here. Can I remvoe any of the start up operations, or is there a way of deciphering what other of the 150 services can be turned off?

I'm looking to buy the RAM from Crucial - are there any other suppliers that are recommended - I'm based in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you're brave there's adverts.ie and even uk.webuy.com
    shop4memory.com is based down in Dublin I usually use a starting point for pricing.

Ask around in case any one is getting rid of a better spec laptop, especially if you know anyone who's got one recently.

Bought a 4Gb module from Crucial for £17.99 with Free P+P.

Hopefully will see a performance upgrade when it gets installed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Definitely recommend adding 2Gb stick to up RAM to 4GB.

Check out ebay, I usually use DrMemory on there. - http://www.ebay.ie/usr/dr.memory
    Maybe pop off RAM backplate on laptop to verify the type of RAM you have first.

Additional 4Gb module now installed. Was a bit fiddly to insert until I figured out the technique. Hopefully things will improve now.

I'd still like soem other advice on how to speed it up. I've defragmented the drives (scheduled) and now upgraded the RAM to 2+4.

One question - does it matter what slot the 4Gb module is in? Should I have swapped it into the lower slot where the 2Gb module has always resided? I just stuck the 4Gb module in the available slot, but I was wondering if one was a primary slot and the other a secondary slot.

Thanks.

Additional 4Gb module now installed. Was a bit fiddly to insert until I figured out the technique. Hopefully things will improve now.

I'd still like soem other advice on how to speed it up. I've defragmented the drives (scheduled) and now upgraded the RAM to 2+4.

One question - does it matter what slot the 4Gb module is in? Should I have swapped it into the lower slot where the 2Gb module has always resided? I just stuck the 4Gb module in the available slot, but I was wondering if one was a primary slot and the other a secondary slot.

Thanks.
    No, it doesn't matter in most laptops. :)

ED E wrote: »
    VS

Is there any way to get rid of the upgrade message that appears everytime I log on? If the machine is not stable enough to run on Win10 then I'd like to get rid of that splash screen as I need to return this machine to my elderly aunt whom I borrowed it from. The message will only confuse her.

Thanks.

Is there any way to get rid of the upgrade message that appears everytime I log on? If the machine is not stable enough to run on Win10 then I'd like to get rid of that splash screen as I need to return this machine to my elderly aunt whom I borrowed it from. The message will only confuse her.

Thanks.

Uninstall the update that puts it there, then reboot and hide that update. Google for the KB number.

thanks - I'll try that. Google is pointing the finger at KB 3035583.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

thanks - I'll try that. Google is pointing the finger at KB 3035583.

That's the one, but remember to then go into update, ask for another run of updates, and then hide it, otherwise it will find it's way back into the system the next time update is run.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Yeah, I done that. We'll see how it works over the next few days.

Thanks.

Advertisement