Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Crashed into Wall

Options
  • 16-07-2015 8:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My neighbour managed to mistake the accelerator for the brake and crashed into the wall between our 2 houses. She has knocked a pillar and there's a crack running the whole way down the wall, I wan to get it fixed properly and she has said that as she's going to be claiming on her car insurance I should get onto them to get it done, does anyone know if I can claim on her insurance for the wall??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Clareman wrote: »
    My neighbour managed to mistake the accelerator for the brake and crashed into the wall between our 2 houses. She has knocked a pillar and there's a crack running the whole way down the wall, I wan to get it fixed properly and she has said that as she's going to be claiming on her car insurance I should get onto them to get it done, does anyone know if I can claim on her insurance for the wall??

Who owns the wall? You're only responsible for the dividing wall on one side if your property. It may be entirely her problem/responsibility. Which of course could go either way from your point of view...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

her insurance should cover it, shouldn't be any need for you to get in touch with them if she is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think she menioned it to them, she told me to ring them with her policy number tomorrow, I don't mind doing it.

The wall would be both of ours (she's a tenant), to be honest I just want it sorted so I'm happy to do whatever needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Apart from mixing up pedals she's clearly bonkers to considering going through insurance to fix this unless it was a very very very nice wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Apart from mixing up pedals she's clearly bonkers to considering going through insurance to fix this unless it was a very very very nice wall. This is surely a local bob the builder cash in hand job?

She did a proper job on it to be honest and she reckons cause she's going through the insurance anyway she might as well see if she can get the wall paid for as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

a wall usually belongs to one party or the other. Check out your deeds to find out if it's yours or "hers"

Normally the piers would be on the side of the owner

It's right in the middle by the looks of things and the pillar was very central as well, it's a dividing wall between the 2 properties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

a wall usually belongs to one party or the other. Check out your deeds to find out if it's yours or "hers"

Normally the piers would be on the side of the owner

It doesn't really matter who owns it, she still has to fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just my opinion but if she broke it then she should arrange to have it fixed using her car or house insurance or whatnot, and not offload on a neighbor to arrange it.

m2c

biko wrote: »
    Just my opinion but if she broke it then she should arrange to have it fixed using her car or house insurance or whatnot, and not offload on a neighbor to arrange it.

m2c

To be honest I'm more interested in making sure it's fixed properly rather than getting her to do it, having a broken pillar looks fair sh1te as well so I want to get it fixed ASAP, I'd say I'll be lucky to get it done this year if I leave it to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

I don't think she menioned it to them, she told me to ring them with her policy number tomorrow, I don't mind doing it.

The wall would be both of ours (she's a tenant), to be honest I just want it sorted so I'm happy to do whatever needs to be done.

OP, when you say that she is a tenant, I presume you mean she is renting the house next door to you? If this is the case then she would have no ownership of the wall whatsoever. I'm not what you mean by the wall being 'both of ours', if ownership is shared with yourself and next door, then yourself and the car driver's landlord should jointly claim off her Motor policy, which does cover this type of event.

Good point actually, I don't know who the owner of the house next door is, the woman that's there has been there a few years now, keeps to herself.

When I said both of ours, I meant in between the houses. I've logged a claim with Axa now anyway with her policy details, I'll see what they say when they call me tomorrow.

Oh FFS, look at you all. The OP is happy to arrange with insurance and neighbour's happy to cover it.

OP if you have her details call them tomorrow, they'll send an assessor and will probably nominate a builder (but you may also choose your own), job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

If she owns the house, she cannot claim under her motor insurance for her share of the repair. i.e. you cannot claim for negligence against yourself.

You can claim as a 3rd party and so can the landlord if it is a rented property.

Thanks for that, I'm due a call from Axa between 1 and 3, I'll let ye know what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I feel this is more appropriate here, rather than in motors.

Advertisement