Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Laptop same issue again now guarantee out of date

Options
  • 16-07-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I purchased a HP laptop with 1 year guarantee from PC World in March 2014, within 3 weeks there was issue with hard drive which they fixed, Roll on July 2015 same issue has arisen but due to fact that the guarantee of 1 year is over PC world said I will have to pay for it to be fixed, do I have any comeback due to fact that it is same issue,
    Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Under consumer law any redress for a problem should be permanent so if the previous problem was a hardware issue with the HDD and the current HDD problem is also a hardware one then you usually would be entitled to a repair, replacement or even a refund. If the problem is software related then that's a different kettle of fish unless the root cause is due to a hardware defect. If the hardware defect can be traced to something beyond intended use (eg dropped the laptop, ran disc intensive tasks for significantly long periods) then you have no comeback whatsoever. Likewise, no comeback if you bought the laptop for business use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Your consumer rights override any in-store/manufacturers guarantee period.

They should be paying for the repair, not you. In fact, any repair should be permanent, so you should now be entitled to a refund or replacement (although it has been some time since it was first repaired, so don't hold me to that)

Currys/PCW have a poor history for not sticking to Irish consumer law.

Read all about it here: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods#2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

a hard drive cant really be fixed permanently. They are so sensitive. Also so many factors effect them e.g overheating, magnetic influences, moving the laptop, using it on a bed, even lifting the laptop wrong.

What does it say on your screen and have you ran HP's inbuilt diagnostics. Plus have you a receipt from the first repair

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

take them to the small claims court you will win your case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    a hard drive cant really be fixed permanently.
    But a computer with a dodgy hard drive can be fixed permanently by the simple expedient of replacing the drive.
    They are so sensitive. Also so many factors effect them e.g overheating, magnetic influences, moving the laptop, using it on a bed, even lifting the laptop wrong.
    This is like a 1960s view, when mainframe computers were kept in air-conditioned rooms because a speck of dust might cause a malfunction. Modern hard drives are precision instruments, but are also fairly robust. If a portable PC failed because I used it in bed, or picked it up in the wrong way, it would be unfit for purpose: they are supposed to be portable, even when switched on.

OP, your rights are not derived from any guarantee that a vendor or manufacturer might offer. Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act as interpreted by the courts, you are entitled to a product that is fit for purpose for a reasonable time (with a maximum of 6 years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

But a computer with a dodgy hard drive can be fixed permanently by the simple expedient of replacing the drive.

This is like a 1960s view, when mainframe computers were kept in air-conditioned rooms because a speck of dust might cause a malfunction. Modern hard drives are precision instruments, but are also fairly robust. If a portable PC failed because I used it in bed, or picked it up in the wrong way, it would be unfit for purpose: they are supposed to be portable, even when switched on.

OP, your rights are not derived from any guarantee that a vendor or manufacturer might offer. Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act as interpreted by the courts, you are entitled to a product that is fit for purpose for a reasonable time (with a maximum of 6 years).

When you use a laptop on your bed you will generally block the air vents on the machine. The hard drive being pretty much the only mechanical part in constant use needs airflow. When you pick up a laptop with the screen open by the besel (keyboard area) you put preassure on the hard drive. very easily done. which can stop it spinning or dislodge the disc. As for being robust, yes they are when theyre not spinning. When theyre spinning theyre very fragile.

Hard drive is a mechanical part. Can last a day or 10 years. Educated guess but hard drive isssues are 50% human 50% mechanical. It's very grey, Hence most retailers don't ask that many questions when there's a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    a hard drive cant really be fixed permanently. They are so sensitive. Also so many factors effect them e.g overheating, magnetic influences, moving the laptop, using it on a bed, even lifting the laptop wrong.

What does it say on your screen and have you ran HP's inbuilt diagnostics. Plus have you a receipt from the first repair

It is on their system about first repair and they ran a test which said issue with hard drive, I have gone back to them and they will let me know the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Got positive outcome ,PC world replaced the hard drive with 90 day guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

castle wrote: »
    Got positive outcome ,PC world replaced the hard drive with 90 day guarantee
    And if the drive fails after 90 days, you might still have a case.

I hope you don't need to test what I say!

Advertisement