Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Build Advice

Options
  • 16-07-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi, never built my own machine before but I need a new one and thought I would give it a go rather than going down the usual mainstream PC shop route, just looking for some advice really as there is a lot of information out there but I wouldn't mind a bit of discussion/personal opinion before I make a stab at it.

If anyone requires any further information from me just give me a shout.

1. What is your budget?
    • €1000 max, preferably under €750 (I will spend the money if the difference can be justified)
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    The main purpose of the computer will be content storage, internet browsing, programming, watching HD movies and generally running many processes at once
    • Content Storage: PDFs, MP4, MP3
    • Video editing
    • 3D Modelling - MatLab
    • Internet
    • Programming - Computer Vision etc...

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    • No, I would like to use a user friendly Linux distro (e.g. Mint)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    • No

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    • No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    • Resolution of current TV (TV will be used as display) = Full HD 1080p
    • No future upgrades planned.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    • Wireless Keyboard
    • Wireless Mouse
    • Wireless Card
    • USB ports
    • HDMI port
    • Headphone capability
    • Webcam capability

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    • No, I don't necessary understand the whole overclocking thing so I guess I should give it a wide berth until such a time as I am better informed on the topic.
    8. How can you pay?
    • Bank Transfer/Visa Debit/Cash

9. When are you purchasing?
    • Whenever I have decided on the parts I will be using, in the very near future (approx 1-2 weeks)

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    • Limerick City

Comments

Advertisement