Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting user posts on request?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering what is the policy on deleting user posts on request? Not la mass deletion, just a few?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Mods discretion afaik. Its not an automatic right, as threads would have gaps then, and stop making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's possible. Usually for specific circumstances. Personal info, pics of you, etc would be deleted usually.
    But if you said something you regret, it's pretty rare.
    Do you have an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

Tombi! wrote: »
    It's possible. Usually for specific circumstances. Personal info, pics of you, etc would be deleted usually.
    But if you said something you regret, it's pretty rare.
    Do you have an example?

Not something said that is regretted, more so personal info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If it contains personal info, we'll delete it. Worst case scenario, edit your post to remove the personal info, if the rest of the post might destroy the context of the discussion/thread.

Gordon wrote: »
    If it contains personal info, we'll delete it. Worst case scenario, edit your post to remove the personal info, if the rest of the post might destroy the context of the discussion/thread.

Cool.
    I'd prefer not to say too much on thread so have pm-d you. If I should pm someone else, please say. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

YurOK2 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering what is the policy on deleting user posts on request? Not la mass deletion, just a few?
    We all make mistakes, including Swannie. It should be noted that most forums on the site have unique characteristics, atmospheres, charters, moderation, and communities of members. If you find that you have made a post that, upon later reflection, might compromise your anonymity, real world job, etc., PM the mods of the respective forum. They can be very helpful.

Black Swan wrote: »
    We all make mistakes, including Swannie. It should be noted that most forums on the site have unique characteristics, atmospheres, charters, moderation, and communities of members. If you find that you have made a post that, upon later reflection, might compromise your anonymity, real world job, etc., PM the mods of the respective forum. They can be very helpful.

Gordon looked after me, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Black Swan wrote: »

Not always, I asked for some posts to be deleted but I got brushed off, only after I asked who else I could ask this cat mod said he'd edit one of my posts rather than delete it.
    begrudgingly is how I'd describe their willingness to do even that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Comes up often enough in W&J and very rarely would I ever consider deleting the post as much as editing out the sensitive parts (i.e. position name, starting date & location etc.) instead. I'd guess around 75/25 on the will action/will not action ratio. The once rejected usually don't contain anything sensitive but they simply don't want to have it listed in their history that they asked for interview advise with company X etc. The biggest one to date involved going through a 16 page thread and about 30 removals relating to a fall out between the employee and employer.

I will add if you want to increase your chances of me looking at it favorable do include link(s) to the posts in question (I'm not going to search your full posting history to try to find what post you want edited for the fun of it) and explain why it matters (plenty of requests coming in going "Remove my posts" or "Delete this post please" without any reason listed which is pretty much a default no).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My default would be No unless the poster had a very good reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement