Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Brewer Question!

Options
  • 16-07-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've just started brewing beer for the first time. I went the easy root and bought a 1 gallon beer kit (Brooklyn Brew Shop's Chocolate Maple Porter) to be exact. It's an all grain kit and I had a blast making it.

Got the kit pretty cheap off ebay but was a little disappointed as the yeast expired a month previous and I was missing a piece of tubing used for the first three days before being swapped out for an airlock.

I gave it a go anyway and, despite my fear, it was fermenting away within the first 24 hrs. Unfortunately, due to my lack of tubing I had to go straight to Airlock which got a little gunked up with the vigorous fermenting.

It will have been fermenting 10 days tomorrow and the recipe calls for it to be left for two weeks before bottling. I can't wait to get it bottled so I couldn't help but take a sample.

My first impression was that it smelled like a porter which is good but the taste... quite alcoholy?...

In my haste and under pressure I didn't take a gravity reading (a mistake not to be repeated) but my current reading is 1.022

So, should it taste much different in a few days before bottling or after a couple of weeks in the bottles? What's your thoughts on the predominant alcohol flavor?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's always going to be a bit green at this stage. It'll mellow with time. A beer like that will likely age well over the next year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't bother taking samples, especially from a 1 gallon batch! Patience is key and let it do it's thing. I'd give it another week before bottling and get onto the next brew.

Buy a few of these https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/1-gallon-glass-demijohn-one-handle-p-1954.html and do some more brews. Better yet look out for some second hand.

You can also buy grains and hops there and start cloning beers you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

Thanks guys, I came an amazing site called www.geterbrewed.ie. Brilliant for supplies and delivery is very reasonable. I bought a 2nd demijohn and some grains. I was going to double the quantity and brew 2 gallons of IPA but now I'm thinking of just doing 1 gallon of IPA and siphon my porter into the 2nd jar to continue conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Just be certain to take a reading before bottling. 1022 is still high and you shouldn't bottle until is a fair but lower for risk of secondary fermentation in the bottle causing bombs!

Advertisement