Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling my products?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys I make shadow boxes,( Google them if you're not sure what they are ) at the moment I'm thinking of selling them on Facebook but not sure how much to charge it costs me about 7 euro to make them . So I was thinking of also selling them with abit of clay for people if they want to do kids handprint but not sure what to charge?

I know where I live shadow boxes are expensive enough so was thinking of 12 euro?

But am afraid incase others try and haggle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I've actually been looking for these for ages where I live (limerick) and I finally spotted them in homestore and more recently. They were plain enough and not very deep and I think they were around €10, can't remember exactly. What are your ones like?

I suppose how much you charge is down to how long they take to make and how much you value your work etc. I know another few crafty people besides myself have been looking for these so there definitely is a market for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It depends in whether you want to make any money or just think it was be nice to do it as a hobby and have people buy your stuff.

Are they empty boxes to be filled or have you filled them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

The ones I make are 5"by 7", 6"by 8"and 10" by 8" they're black frame wood and about 25mm deep , they're deep enough to fit baby shoes or clay hand print.

I was hoping to sell the small ones at 6 euro , medium at 8 and large at 10

I hope to sell frames with the clay for people to do themselves with their babies/pets or just the frames .

I'm just afraid of starting out I guess I only really wanna do this as a hobby and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

jimmii wrote:
    Are they empty boxes to be filled or have you filled them yourself?

They're empty boxes to be filled sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The ones I make are 5"by 7", 6"by 8"and 10" by 8" they're black frame wood and about 25mm deep , they're deep enough to fit baby shoes or clay hand print.

I was hoping to sell the small ones at 6 euro , medium at 8 and large at 10

I hope to sell frames with the clay for people to do themselves with their babies/pets or just the frames .

I'm just afraid of starting out I guess I only really wanna do this as a hobby and see how it goes

Then just list them on etsy & facebook see what happens. Its always nice when people like what you created! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Hi guys I make shadow boxes,( Google them if you're not sure what they are ) at the moment I'm thinking of selling them on Facebook but not sure how much to charge it costs me about 7 euro to make them . So I was thinking of also selling them with abit of clay for people if they want to do kids handprint but not sure what to charge?

I know where I live shadow boxes are expensive enough so was thinking of 12 euro?

But am afraid incase others try and haggle
    A few years ago, ok make that 7 or 8 .... when scrapbooking and memory boxes where all the rage it was nearly impossible to get shadow boxes for any reasonable price. I taught classes and bought them in from a UK manufacturer for 5.50stg plus vat (and risk of breakages which did happen). Which was cheaper than any Irish supplier.
    Now IKEA does 8 by 8 frames for 4.50 and 16 by 16 for 9.50. Most crafters and artists I know use them now. Although, a 12 by 12 frame might be something I would consider to buy in bulk.
    Also you need a soft, high paper bulk, air drying clay (which is more than double the price or more of regular modelling clay) for hand and foot castings that will air dry, there have been people taking press casts in clay that have managed to damage bones in a baby's hands due to excess pressure. So don't cut corners with cheap clay, or clearly state your kit is for over a certain age.
    All of that said, a kit packaged in the right way could be a hands down winner, excuse the pun. You would just need to deliver more than a frame and a bit of clay though, as you can buy that in tesco. What's your USP?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What will postage and packaging cost you?

What about public liability insurance - have you got a quote for that? (All it takes is one lawyer-mammy on a career break to take a case: if you cannot afford decent legal representation yourself to fight back, you can lose your house etc even though the litigant has a weak or non-existent claim.)

What's your contingency plan if you get far more orders than you can supply?

Advertisement