Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brick wall or post and rail fence? Cost differences?

Options
  • 16-07-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone advise on the average pricer per metre squared to build a wall using building blocks? Wall would be about 15 metres long and 2 metres high.

Also looking at the cost per metre (average) for post and rail fencing (3 rails)?

I'd be interested to know how much we should be paying for the materials too (blocks and post and rail)

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ring Any builders merchant and price the fences. They come as a kit. Or you can check adverts as there are loads of companies selling them on there now. No idea of the costs at hand but some panels can be €25 each for the basic raising to €75 each for a decent looking ones.

With regards to a block boundary wall, I priced it for my rented house recently. Roughly 11m length priced by my builder at approx €1000-€1100.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for that! How high was that wall and was that a price for bare block and capping stones or did that include render?

I've been told by someone round here that the post and rail should be around €17 per metre. Not sure how accurate that is.

I'm looking for prices here because I live in a fairly big house so I suspect that the prices quoted per metre will be a lot more than would be quoted to someone living in a smaller property. I'm not flush with cash but I'm sure the house will give the appearance that I am...

Just looking for ballpark figures really so I'll know when I'm being ripped off and can counter that if needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Thanks for that! How high was that wall and was that a price for bare block and capping stones or did that include render?

I've been told by someone round here that the post and rail should be around €17 per metre. Not sure how accurate that is.

I'm looking for prices here because I live in a fairly big house so I suspect that the prices quoted per metre will be a lot more than would be quoted to someone living in a smaller property. I'm not flush with cash but I'm sure the house will give the appearance that I am...

Just looking for ballpark figures really so I'll know when I'm being ripped off and can counter that if needed.

My price was for a bare faces wall with capping on top. Render/dash would have been extra. The wall would be 2000mm high.

The only reason I mentioned to check on adverts was because you already know the distance you had to run so the suppliers on there could have quoting by that in their sale thread. Just to give you an idea.
    The timber panel system would be cheaper initially but then you have ongoing costs of painting and treating and in my opinion they are ugly as fook! I will be getting red of mine the first chance I get tbh.

Advertisement