Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nothing

Options
  • 16-07-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

just put my build together and pressed on button. A brief led light then nothing. I'm stumped. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What loose cables have you got from the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

What loose cables have you got from the PSU?
    8 pin cpu (nowhere to connect)
    pci 6 pin with a 2 pin attatched to it. Ihaven't put the graphics card in yet. theres a chassis fan which I have disconnected because I'm not sur about it.

8 pin CPU is the problem. Should be very close to the top of the motherboard, can be hard to see. Towards the i/o boards side

8 pin CPU is the problem. Should be very close to the top of the motherboard, can be hard to see. Towards the i/o boards side
    only input I can se wit1h nothing attached is atx 12v power connector and I have no 4 pin on power supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Can you post models of things, might help.

Motherboard model number for a start...

• Advertisement

Take a pic of the loose PSU ends and the motherboard, as bright as possible, without shine.

Can you post models of things, might help.

Motherboard model number for a start...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-DGS%20R2.0/index.us.asp

Thats got a 4 pin, is that connected?

One of the 8 pins should 'break' in two - no breaking required but maybe they're stuck together.

Apologies, misunderstood when you said you'd no four pin. As Mark says, the 8 pin connector should break, if not, it may fit with 4 of the pins fitted, with the other four hanging, just ensure the loose four aren't touching anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

UrbanFret wrote: »
    just put my build together and pressed on button. A brief led light then nothing. I'm stumped. Anyone?

With such a detailed description of the problem, a full diagnosis will surely be posted before long.

• Advertisement

elcxev.jpg

14e56v8.jpg

PCIE connector is for the GPU. Your problem is the 8 pin. Will in not plug in as suggested?

Nothing is going to work without power going to that 4 pin socket so thats the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

elcxev.jpg

14e56v8.jpg

As you look at that first pic the 4pin sockets is just to the left of the cpu heat sink. The cables your showing appear to be for the GPU, as said above, the ones you are looking for could be 8 pin which split into two fours. The plastic connectors are keyed anyways, so you can only fit in the correct one

well I've split the 8 pin as suggested into 2 4s and now I'm getting nothing at all not even a brief fan spin!:confused:

well I've split the 8 pin as suggested into 2 4s and now I'm getting nothing at all not even a brief fan spin!:confused:

How did you split it?

How did you split it?
    It separated in the centre. into 2 separate 4 pins.

Try reseating all the cables. Pull everything off the power button/LED header expect the power button.

Try reseating all the cables. Pull everything off the power button/LED header expect the power button.
    Not a kick mate. Jesus I don't remember it being this difficult before.

Not a kick mate. Jesus I don't remember it being this difficult before.

You'll have to pull out the main board and set in on the box to make sure it's not a short.

Stupid question but everything is on and plugged in? Did you pull the kettle lead out of the PSU with the power on? That can blow a PSU - rarely but it does happen.

Did you try the other half of the 8 pin connector?

You'll have to pull out the main board and set in on the box to make sure it's not a short.

Stupid question but everything is on and plugged in? Did you pull the kettle lead out of the PSU with the power on? That can blow a PSU - rarely but it does happen.

Did you try the other half of the 8 pin connector?

Just tried a different psu . No joy. You mean take the motherboard out and just connect the 24 pin and the 4 pin?

• Advertisement

Just tried a different psu . No joy. You mean take the motherboard out and just connect the 24 pin and the 4 pin?

Yes, use the box as a stand.

Yes, use the box as a stand.
    Right it's running on the box. What's my next move. Thanks.

Right it's running on the box. What's my next move. Thanks.

Figure out where the short is :D

Are you using rubber washers on the screws holding in the main board?

Is there anything sticking up (like a main board mounting riser) that's shorting the back of the board?

Ah! The fun of building PCs.

Afraid I'm leaving you too this one just wanted to hear it was running - beddy byes time for me. Thanks for updating!

Figure out where the short is :D

Are you using rubber washers on the screws holding in the main board?

Is there anything sticking up (like a main board mounting riser) that's shorting the back of the board?

Ah! The fun of building PCs.

Afraid I'm leaving you too this one just wanted to hear it was running - beddy byes time for me. Thanks for updating!
    Thanks for all your help. I'm using washers yes. I'll have to see what the hell is shorting it. I have all the power, reset and leds back on and it's stiill going. One step at a time i guess.

Well I have it running. there's one particular cable that's shorting it, for the case fan. Turns out it's running without it being connected to the motherboard( connected directly to power suppply). have installed my windows 7 from reddit and for f##k sake no internet connection now. I've had enough for one day anyway. Young mans game this!:D

rtjmnn.jpg

I took CHA FAN 1 to mean chassis fan I must be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I took CHA FAN 1 to mean chassis fan I must be wrong on that.
    No, you're right on that. It does mean "Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN1)". Consider replacing the fan, tbh.

I got that fan sorted. I had already power going to it direct from the power supply, so when I connected it to the motherboard as well it kept shorting. You do strange things when you are tired and frustrated. Anyway I'm posting from that PC now even though after installing windows (Reddit for $20 ,works fine and key validated) Windows update downloaded 200+ updates and kept freezing at ."failure configuring windows updates reverting changes". Luckily I created a restore point when I had installed all the drivers and utilities off the motherboard CD. Just the graphics card to go now but I'm going to let the system run for a day or two before I install it to make sure it's all nice and stable. (and to stop me from going insane)
    Thanks to all who offered assistance , a special mention to MarkAnthony and Digital solitude for their patience and understanding.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I got that fan sorted. I had already power going to it direct from the power supply, so when I connected it to the motherboard as well it kept shorting. You do strange things when you are tired and frustrated. Anyway I'm posting from that PC now even though after installing windows (Reddit for $20 ,works fine and key validated) Windows update downloaded 200+ updates and kept freezing at ."failure configuring windows updates reverting changes". Luckily I created a restore point when I had installed all the drivers and utilities off the motherboard CD. Just the graphics card to go now but I'm going to let the system run for a day or two before I install it to make sure it's all nice and stable. (and to stop me from going insane)
    Thanks to all who offered assistance , a special mention to MarkAnthony and Digital solitude for their patience and understanding.;)

Nice :) As regards windows updates, try manually deselecting some and installing them in groups to weed out conflicting updates. 200 is a lot to do at the same time!

Gumbi wrote: »
    Nice :) As regards windows updates, try manually deselecting some and installing them in groups to weed out conflicting updates. 200 is a lot to do at the same time!

Aye I reckon you're bang on the money there. 10 to 15 at a time seems to be the way to go. Not a great man for these constant updates anyway although some would swear by them. I put the graphics card in yesterday and all's good. The lad has it in his room now so that's the last I'll see of it(unless there's a problem) If I've learned anything from this build is there come's a time when you should just take a break or walk away as even the most obvious solution wont come to you. Again thanks to all who helped......;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement