Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup disk is almost full

• 16-07-2015 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

Currently, I have 43 GB free of a 120 GB drive. When I try to erase free space, after a few minutes it tells me that the startup disk is almost full and when I check, sure enough, I have only 6 MB available. When I abandon the process, I again have 43 GB available. Any ideas?

Macbook Air approx 8 months old.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

When was the last time you restarted? I reckon it's all cache files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I shut down a couple of times in the last few days, verified, repaired disk permissions etc. I can see that there is ample space available but it disappears when erasing free space for some reason.

When the erase process kicks off, I have 43 GB free. A temporary file is created. Gradually, all free space disappears and the erase process fails after trying to create a second temporary file. I have actually copied large folders (25 GB, 10 GB) to prove the space is available and this works.

Stumped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is the erase failing or are your stopping it? Because it's normal to get that warning. If you can let it finish.

It tries to create a second temporary file but at that stage there is no available space.

It fails with the following message

Secure erase free space failed with the error:
    Couldn't create temporary file.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Stupid bug. Disk Utility is plagued with them.

Despite the error, I'd say the free space has been erased anyway. Afaik the way it works is by overwriting the data with a temporary file, which is then deleted. So once you get the startup disk is almost full warning and the temporary file is gone, it was a success.

Yeah, I thought so.
    Cheers Prof.

Advertisement