Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good secondary school in Waterford?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you make very good points alright but as somebody who i recently met that has been working in our educational system for some time, mainly at third level, said to me, our schools are actually factories of education. so if you dont learn at the speed of the system or by the methods of the system, you might end up in trouble. theres just too much pressure on kids in the system and i think parents have a roll to play in that. dont forget, institutional life just simple doesnt work for some. yes we all need discipline and direction in our lives but its actually ok if school doesnt work for you as long as there are options for these kind of people. i actually feel our education system is robbing kids of their child hood to some degree. let them be kids as ive explained earlier

your second point is good though but i feel this is where the education system kinna fails. on meeting another person who has also been working in our education system for some time, special needs department, she has seen it year in year out, kids arriving in dublin late summer, not a clue about life, struggling to find accommodation, not a clue on how to look after themselves etc, fail dramatically and rather quickly, head home head hanging. this is actually a system failure. heres my two cents worth. why not try address these issues at secondary level, i.e. show kids how to look after themselves both physically and mentally. things like home economics etc should be mandatory for all students, p.e. should be mandatory for all students everyday. this can take the form of something like yoga. im sure theres other things that can be changed and improved. others may have ideas. i just feel theres too much focus on academia in our system. more to life. our current system is a sink or swim system. unfortunately some do sink and sometimes theyre kinna forgotten about. we need to address this. i do like your year out before college though. good idea

Very good post .
    As someone who works and interacts with teenagers (youth club) . I would agree with everything to have say above.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Gaelcholaiste Phort LAIRGE is also a great school!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

We are Portuguese and she didn't learn Irish so an only Irish school is not possible for her.

your Daughter will most likely be able to do Portuguese as a subject -

https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=eu

It is a nice way to get marks. I doubt she will be expected to take on the Irish subject.

Best of Luck.

D

Advertisement