Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I have to wear a mic??

Options
  • 16-07-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

This is a topic I always come across throughout the gaming community: the absolute necessity of a headset with a mic. Games that favour teamwork such as Battlefield and GTA Online (mainly the Heists game mode) are filled with players that have this attitude.

I got into a petty argument with another player after playing Heists for the first time. I didn't have a mic plugged in and I don't like wearing a mic or talking to people online. I never have - except with friends. I don't feel comfortable with it. So why did I have this player argue with me to wear a mic? He said I had no excuse as every Xbox comes with a mic in the box.

(That's true, it does. But it doesn't mean I want to use it.)

I haven't really played much of Heists since - I'm pretty-much put off it at this stage. I played one or two heists the entire time that the mode has been out, all because of the pressure I feel when playing it without a mic because I know I'm pissing somebody off.

I do fine without a mic, I can play as part of a team, and I know what I'm doing (the objectives are right there on the screen). I mostly follow other players just in case I do get mixed up. I will do anything to keep up with everyone (which I am capable of doing for the most part) except put a mic on and talk.

Ever since this, I have come across many different threads and discussions on plenty of forums, ranging from Reddit, to specific forums related to specific games (Rockstar Social Club's forums) and more often than not, I've ran into threads created by people complaining about the lack of mics being used in games. Other people shouting abuse telling people they shouldn't be in a party with their friends when playing a team-based game with strangers. All this aggression towards players who prefer not to use a mic.

I haven't bitten, once. I've been shouted at for not wearing a mic by other players (I used to hear them via the TV speakers) but I still won't wear one. I personally don't like it, at all. I don't feel the slightest bit comfortable talking to people I don't know via a mic, I never have.

I used to play the Xbox 360 with my friends back when there was no party chat we would all be in the game with other strangers and all my friends would chat with them or trash talk (mostly trash talk though, it was comedic) but I never joined in. I would talk to my friends, but I never spoke to the other players. And because of this I have been relatively put off playing team-based games on my own. I don't play online with my friends that much anymore since we've all moved on and we play at scattered times of the day. So I'm mostly playing my Xbox/PS4 by myself nowadays. I gave my Xbox One official headset to my cousin whose own mic broke, it wasn't a loss for me as I never used it.

Basically, wearing a mic and talking to strangers online is something I have never felt comfortable doing since I begun playing games online. I always considered the idea of coming out of that shell, but I ultimately just change my mind and never bother. It's not something I particularly like. I'm a very shy gamer when it comes to playing online. Talking to strangers isn't my strong point. Friends? definitely. I used to be in a party of 6 to 8 people I knew and it was the best fun I ever had but nowadays my online-gaming-communication-skills (I'm coining that term now) isn't up there when it comes to players I don't know.

Any friend of mine knows that when I do play a game like Halo, I'll play Lone Wolf (Rumble Pit) which is basically a free-for-all. I don't have to worry about pissing another player off (unless I kill him too many times for his liking :P). It's the only FPS I will play online, that and sometimes Battlefield 4. FIFA is simple enough to play as a team, in-game commands can be used to communicate with other players (calling for a pass etc.) and Battlefield 4 allows you to use in-game commands to communicate with players (requesting ammo/health etc.) but games that make players pressingly force you to voice-chat are off-putting for me.

Am I the only player that prefers not to talk on the mic? Because I always feel some immense pressure when the players with the opposite opinion, has an aggressive response that is directed at players like me, and I hate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

I agree with this. I hate wearing a mic. The idea is just so awkward to me - sitting there talking to faceless randomers through the TV. Never felt comfortable with it or desired to engage in any kind of chatter online

90% of the time mics are not necessary but for the like of heists in GTA or any game requiring even a hint of coordination with co-op players you would get from me the polite 30 seconds to start talking / acknowledge you can at least hear me or get kicked.

Why play a co-op game with randoms if you are not willing to co-operate? Sure there are kids , idiots , douchebags etc but most of the time people people are there for the exact reason you are, getting it done and playing the game.

I'd be likely the least vocal of players on a mic with strangers but in a situation with strangers were fast coordination is needed to get something done a player who refuses to use a mic because they are self-concious / shy / doesn't like it or what ever gets kicked if possible every time by me or I'll start a vote kick and rightly so imo. Just not fair on others in the group if you need to take 30 seconds to respond with a text etc if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I learned my lesson 10 years ago.

Halo 2.

Feck, I just realised I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I used to play BF2142 as part of a clan for a very short period of time and I never had a mic. (Well I did but it was broken). Do you know what I learned? I'm just not a team player. Nothing wrong with anyone else in the clan, on the contrary they were all fairly sound (\nods to those still members here :pac: ). I Have to wear a two-way radio and headset everyday for work and when I come home I just want to disconnect from human interaction for a while. That includes real-life conversation as well though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've played competitive and co-op games without a mic, but you'll always be more of a team player if do have one. Being able to quickly tell people about an attack or another group of enemies can be extremely important in some games. Stopping to type will always be slower than talking, and there are some games that require quick communication between players.

Nothing wrong with not using one, you'll just probably be better in team games if you do have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

But, but, how can you cuss others out and call them NooBs without a mic??

I thought that's what online gaming is all about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never wear a mic myself. Talking to strangers is both awkward and there's so many idiots out there. The only online multiplayer games I've enjoyed in the last 10 years have been the souls series and Splatoon and there's propbably mostly because of the lack of mic support.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm the same. Rarely ever wear a mic and when I do, it's usually to listen, not to talk. Can't stand talking on the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I play with friends when gaming on we are always on voice chat. It really adds to it in some games that need a lot of planning, and of course the general banter is great fun. That being said, I turn off voice chat if playing games with randomers, theres no value to it, half the time its like being in a lunatic asylum and the other time its 14 year olds who slept with yore ma. I think thats the biggest failing of gta heists, imo you need friends to play it, or it just won't be enjoyable. May as well be doing braindead deathmatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never got into online MP much myself. The only game Ive put any decent amount of time into was left 4 dead. Only used a mic with that a handful of times. I think though in games like that where detailed coordination is needed at expert level, you are shooting yourself in the foot without voice communication. The only players who really master it are the ones who play with 3 friends all with mics. Faffing around with text chat is risky.
    None of that bothers me though cos I play it casually at a lower level and have more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have played a lot of MP games over the years and I find it far more enjoyable when people are able to communicate via a mic. It increases team work, creates a bit more banter etc. Its far better when you play with the same people over and over instead of randoms.

Some games/modes where it is more relevant than others of course.

While I prefer when people do use voice comms, I would never abuse people for not using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Answer: You Don't have to wear a Mic to play games. If you want to play games that require co-operation and communication at points, you should wear a Mic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Playing Journey with a mic wouldn't have been half as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Some of the best conversations I have ever had were with complete strangers who use TeamSpeak or in-game chat. If you are playing a multiplayer game you have to interact with other people, be it as team mates or enemies, communication will always happen. With particular reference to cooperative games, using a mic increases the chance of success massively. Easier to understand, faster reception of information, precise detail and almost instant.

If you are playing a multiplayer game that requires team work, a mic is very important. Especially on consoles. At least on PC you could smash out a quick message on the keyboard, but not on console. The amount of things I have learned through chatting with strangers online is huge. Love the Germans, great sense of humour! Italians are a good laugh as well!

Sure, there are dickheads. No different to the kind of dickheads you meet in the pub on a night out with friends. The wonderful mute button is there for that reason. Don't be afraid to chat with people online. At best, you make a friend who you can play with again in the future. At worst, you have to press mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'll always wear it, but I'll just stay silent unless I'm in a party, but tbh, if you're trying to play anything outside of straight up deathmatch or something you're kinda spoiling it for everyone else.

If if I joined, say a round of domination in COD and there are two people on my team giving callouts, I'll always start doing the same, usually its appreciated as it makes beating the other team that much easier, and occasionally you'll get a party invite to try and keep the momentum running. you dont have to give out your life story, and you can always block muppets. If anything, I kind of miss a lot of the trash talking, most people are in parties now so theres not as much interaction with randoms.

Its not an exaggeration to say that gta heists with radoms without mic's is a nightmare. - even from your own point of view, would you rather wander around aimlessly enough or work towards an objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I haven't been gaming in a while, no time. When I do I rarely use the mic. It's there but I don't use it as such. Half the time I find myself muting players because the constant stream of babble wrecks my own gameplay. When I'm playing COD or Halo or Battlefield. I don't want to hear random babble from an unfiltered mic. Everything from, 'what's for dinner mom' to all the rest and players who can't seem to place it properly so it's like being on the receiving end of a stalkers phone call with all the breathing!

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Playing Journey with a mic wouldn't have been half as good.

That was precisely the point and a design choice by the studio
    The multiplayer component of Journey was designed to facilitate cooperation between players without forcing it, and without allowing competition.[15] It is intended to allow the players to feel a connection to other people through exploring with them, rather than talking to them or fighting them.[13] The plan was "to create a game where people felt they are connected with each other, to show the positive side of humanity in them."[15] The developers felt the focus on caring about the other player would be diluted by too many game elements, such as additional goals or tasks, as players would focus on those and "ignore" the other player.[15] They also felt having text or voice communication between players or showing usernames would allow players' biases and preconceptions to come between them and the other player.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

I think the worst thing about mics are the cnuts who think it's a good idea to blare music through the mic for everyone else to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

we don't have to take our mics off to have a good time whoa no!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I was the same as the op at one point but then while I used to game on xbox I got into boosting sessions to get achievements from multiplayer/co op games which required co ordination and after a bit it didn't bother me anymore. I actually met some really great people doing that that I would regularly arrange co op sessions with. Having said that for general play I wouldn't bother as alot of the american kids in game chat are just a complete pain or you have people talking to others in their house or have dogs barking etc...

Actually was in a game of saints row 2 multiplayer once and guy had his mic on sounded like he was sitting on a washing machine but turned out to be his air con.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think the worst thing about mics are the cnuts who think it's a good idea to blare music through the mic for everyone else to hear.

how do the dopes even play with that racket in the background anyway? I'deally I'd rather be completely isolated when playing, even people coming in and out of the room is distracting, I've been like that since the good old commodore 64.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's no one size fits all approach to mic use. Dark Souls and Journey are built around mystery and lack of easy communication, so it would conflict quite dramatically with the fiction and design of the games to include voice chat. On the other end of the spectrum, as much as I hate talking to strangers I couldn't possibly admit that using a mic is anything other than beneficial in co-op heavy games. Talking to your teammates in the likes of Left 4 Dead, The Last of Us, Destiny etc... will give you a legitimate tactical advantage if you're facing off against a radio silence team, or a situation where teamwork is required. Generally, though, I've never really found mics in deathmatch-style shooters particularly necessary - a lot of games tend to be just as friendly towards lone wolves as teams. I know in something like Titanfall I've never felt it necessary to put on a headset, and haven't found it noticeably detrimental.

I totally agree the primary problem is the seemingly high proportion of idiots out there, making it pretty much a lottery if you're joining a voice channel of strangers - whether that's the endless weed references, insults or aforementioned music blaring out (for some reason people who indulge in the latter always tend to have **** taste too :pac:). But find a good group, and there's no question a mic can be a distinct advantage in particular sorts of games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Only wear a mic when playing with actual friends or playing tactical team based games (bf and GTA heists are a good example) since otherwise you don't know who's doing what

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've used a mic in Payday 2, WoW, L4D/2, and Elite Dangerous, but that's it and usually only ever with randomers in payday2 and usually to call out a nasty cloaker or bulldozer or ask if someone's afk/do they know how to stealth etc..

tbh payday 2 kind of needs you to have a mic or at least a pair of ears so you can listen if you want to pull off some of those stealth jobs, the rest are inconsequential for me and generally just use it to talk to friends rather than randomers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If you have an issue with wearing a headset (not directed at the OP) you could just buy a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

usb standalone/desktop mic's used to be dead cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think it was in Battlefield Vietnam that when you went into the chopper, you'd hear what the pilot was playing.

Any multiplayer game that I have played in the last few years has had a mic. But I've mostly had the public voice turned off, and have used a 3rd party application such as TeamSpeak or Mumble to talk to the people, as there'd be someone on that could kick the annoying 12 year old who'd come on and be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I've never used a mic really, played in some teams for CS & DOD back in college too. Co-op isn't hard as long as your listening in to the conversation taking place.

I've never had any interest in micing up though, too many idiots out there, I usually end up muting as anyone who talks during games cause 90% of the time it's the usually "lolz, f*ck you n00b" crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I assume most people are talking about console gaming here right? Because on PC, 99% of people have a mic. The only thing stopping some from using it, is the language barrier.

Games that are Co-Op, should be played with a mic. It's only "weird" or "awkward" to talk to your team-mates as you make it. But this also comes down to:
    Casual? Or Serious?
    No offense, but Casuals and Serious gamers don't mix on the mic issue. You have a mic, or get kicked. That's one of the easiest way to see casual gamers from serious gamers, outside of loadouts/playstyles etc.
    That 1% of PC gamers that don't have mics get kicked immediately on games like Payday 2, are not accepted to even join outfits on Planetside 2, and usually get dropped in Heists in GTA.

But in PvP FPS games, mics are not needed. Just because, games like BF4, CoD are not serious outside of tournament play in a console's lifetime. I'm not even sure if consoles are used in MLG events except for exclusives.

So the million dollar question: Who is right here? Is the OP right, or was the Heister in GTA right? I can't answer that question fully, but hopefully I shed some light on my experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Because on PC, 99% of people have a mic.

This is just not the case.
    Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if consoles are used in MLG events except for exclusives.

CoD is played competitively on PS4 more than it is on PC but I think it's already dying because of yearly release alongside the console audience tendency to very quickly loose interest outside of FGs.

I don't see mic usage as high as you say. Sure I'm not on the most competitive games but even so the question comes up as to WHAT mics will be being used? In-game mics are often terrible, so is steam's. So everyone goes for TeamSpeak, which is proprietary, closed-source nonsense. Skype... well nobody uses that for gaming. Mumble? Open-source, no server restrictions behind paywalls, no BS, extremely low VOIP latency, overall perfect if you have a server... Used by feckin' no-one and good luck trying to convince them to try it mid-game since nobody uses chocolatey or package managers meaning it's a chore for them to do it the usual windows way.

I see way more mic-culture on xbox than anything else, even for casual gaming.

Advertisement