Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when your not given your change?

Options
  • 17-07-2015 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭

I was getting a take away ealier. It was a new take away. Part of a small change.
    Ordered my food and paid with cash. The girl might have being nervous/confused. She had to ask for help with the till. I handed her €15 and should have got €1.25 change. She just walked away from the till and at first I thought she was getting change from another till/office.
    She then started serving other people.
    A lady then landed in saying there was a problem with her order. It was easily fixed. I said to the girl you never gave me my change. She said oh I did. It was €2.75 and what drinks dinks did you want. I said coke she handed me my drinks and asked me what dips did I bbq and garlic mayo. She handed me my food and dips and walked away. I checked the bag and there was loads of dips in the bag to start with. I just wanted to get home to my food.
    What should you do in this situation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I was getting a take away ealier. It was a new take away. Part of a small change.
    Ordered my food and paid with cash. The girl might have being nervous/confused. She had to ask for help with the till. I handed her €15 and should have got €1.25 change. She just walked away from the till and at first I thought she was getting change from another till/office.
    A lady then landed in saying there was a problem with her order. It was easily fixed. I said to the girl you never gave me my change. She said oh I did. It was €2.75 and what drinks dinks did you want. I said coke she handed me my drinks and asked me what dips did I bbq and garlic mayo. She handed me my food and dips and walked away. I checked the bag and there was loads of dips in the bag to start with. I just wanted to get home to my food.

Use card because cash is dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As there's no legal requirement for a company to actually give change, you should pay the correct amount (and no more) in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't shop there again. Only comeback, and it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

you should pay the correct amount (and no more) in the first place.

Well that's nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'd probably have stood my ground and asked to speak to her supervisor/manager if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

As there's no legal requirement for a company to actually give change, you should pay the correct amount (and no more) in the first place.

Have you a source for this rather extraordinary claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It sounds like the cashier was a mix of nervous and a bit thick.. Personally I'd put it down to that and move on but asking for a supervisor or demanding it would be fair enough too. It's most definitely not company policy so I wouldn't blame them necessarily.

IMO card transactions are nowhere near fast enough in this country for people to pay everything by card. I'm glad a lot of shops place €5 limits on it but I think it should be closer to €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Possibly the most ridiculous post of the day.

Have you a source for this?

Find the legal requirement to give change... There isn't one

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

It's not a legal requirement to give change??? Where did that come from? I've worked in retail for over 10 years and I must say I've NEVER heard that!! How many people have the correct change at all times? Ridiculous statement...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is a very complicated element of contract law but it does boil down to a retailer not being legally obliged to give change. The onus is on the buyer to provide the correct money to meet the contract. Change is only given due to standard business practice. A parking meter or toll does not give change for an overpayment of the agreed price for instance.

I can understand machines not giving change, but humans - legal or not - that's just bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

IMO card transactions are nowhere near fast enough in this country for people to pay everything by card. I'm glad a lot of shops place €5 limits on it but I think it should be closer to €10.

Contactless payments are changing that, though.

And a shop can't actually legally set or enforce a minimum limit on card transactions, for those of you who may need to use their card for a small amount occasionally.

If they do, they're in breach of the IPSO terms and conditions, which all retailers who take card payments are signed up to. And I'm pretty sure the CCPC also incorporated it into consumer law recently enough. My sister is a director there, I'll ask her for the specifics later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

How commonplace are contactless machines in Ireland now? I think I've encountered them in a couple of chain stores so far (O' Briens sandwiches and Penneys I think) but I use cash for most small transactions anyway. All convenience stores should have them by now but I haven't encountered any.

Wasn't aware that there was a law against minimum card transactions. More silly pro-consumer anti-business laws. Credit card terminals charges are extortionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Have you a source for this rather extraordinary claim?
    NicoleW85 wrote: »
    It's not a legal requirement to give change??? Where did that come from? I've worked in retail for over 10 years and I must say I've NEVER heard that!! How many people have the correct change at all times? Ridiculous statement...

It is true, but as above its a small part of contract law and is rarely actually used - though dublin bus don't provide change, instead they give you a claim voucher or something.

A retailer who would use that law would find itself closed very quickly, so "resonableness" (yes, very much used legal word) comes into play instead. In the OP's case, it probably just a ditsy staff member who hasn't been trained properly. Just make sure someone else deals with you next time or be extra vigilant if she's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Contactless payments are changing that, though.

And a shop can't actually legally set or enforce a minimum limit on card transactions, for those of you who may need to use their card for a small amount occasionally.

If they do, they're in breach of the IPSO terms and conditions, which all retailers who take card payments are signed up to. And I'm pretty sure the CCPC also incorporated it into consumer law recently enough. My sister is a director there, I'll ask her for the specifics later.

Here in NL it's common to pay for everything by card.
    I went to Amsterdam last weekend from Eindhoven, didn't have or take out any cash from Friday until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I can understand machines not giving change, but humans - legal or not - that's just bad form.
    It might be bad form - but it's not illegal.

There can be situations where a retailer cannot give change because the till doesn't contain enough small-value notes and coins. Can you insist on tendering €50 to buy a newspaper and demand change?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It might be bad form - but it's not illegal.

There can be situations where a retailer cannot give change because the till doesn't contain enough small-value notes and coins. Can you insist on tendering €50 to buy a newspaper and demand change?
    Retailers aren't obliged to it is at their discretion as to whether they accept it or not.

How commonplace are contactless machines in Ireland now? I think I've encountered them in a couple of chain stores so far (O' Briens sandwiches and Penneys I think) but I use cash for most small transactions anyway. All convenience stores should have them by now but I haven't encountered any.

Wasn't aware that there was a law against minimum card transactions. More silly pro-consumer anti-business laws. Credit card terminals charges are extortionate.

Quite common at this stage. Generally - not always! - if a machine has a large, colour screen on the pin pad its contactless. These often don't have the logo either, stupidly. The older machines can often have an addon protrusion at the top that will have a massive logo on it.

Lots of places don't have a clue with them, though. Only seen it actively encouraged in one shop, a Subway branch, as the retailer costs are lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It's true, there shouldnt be a set amount on card transactions.

• Advertisement

When the retailer gives someone the total that is an offer for what they are selling when the customer hands you the note that could be considered their offer of payment which the retailer can then accept or reject. No one would ever do that as it would be ridiculous but thats how it works much like how a retailer can accept a lower offer than displayed for goods the customer can also make a higher offer at the till its really just an auction until a price can be agreed on luckily we don't operate like that!

Can you insist on tendering €50 to buy a newspaper and demand change?

Absolutely. I'd be embarrassed if it was first thing in the morning and the vendor didn't have a large amount of change, but it's legal tender at the end of the day. Anyway, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Absolutely. I'd be embarrassed if it was first thing in the morning and the vendor didn't have a large amount of change, but it's legal tender at the end of the day. Anyway, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it :)

Oh please don't ever use the "its legal tender" argument. Legal tender must only be accepted when a debt has occured. In a retail transaction, no debt has occurred, hence a retailer may insist on saying they only accept 50c coins if they wish - it is their choice.

Most retailers will not accept €200 or €500 notes. Many won't accept €100. THEIR choice and the "legal tender" argument does not apply in the slightest.

They aren't obliged to accept it or not no matter whether what you are offering is legal tender or not. It is at the retailers discretion whether they accept what you offer not the customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They cannot insist on a minimum transaction amount but they can charge a transaction fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

There is no law against not accepting card transactions for low amounts.

It is however against VISA and MasterCard scheme rules that the merchant signs up to when they first start accepting cards (VISA and MasterCard will never follow this up with small merchants).

IPSO no longer exists and had no rules about VISA and MasterCard. Their only remit was the LASER card scheme which is now dead.

The cost of accepting cards varies wildly. Big merchants can negotiate better deals with acquirers(a bank or financial institution that processes credit or debit card payments on behalf of a merchant). Small merchants tend to pay more due to low volumes.

Card charges per transaction for merchants are broken down as follows:

Interchange = money that goes straight to the bank that issued the purchasing debit or credit card. Usually this is 10c for debit cards transactions over €15, 5c between €2 and €15 and 1c under €2 (under €2 has to be contactless). For credit cards its 0.55% (will be 0.3%, EU directive). Assuming VISA card scheme and chip and pin.

Scheme fee = money that goes to VISA or MasterCard for each transaction. Based on volume (higher volume = lower fee). Usually very low, under 1c per transaction.

Acquirer margin = the money the acquirer tacks on every transaction for their costs and profit.

I do not include fixed monthly costs as these costs do not pose a barrier to accepting cards for low value payments as the merchant pays them anyway.

Now any merchant can look at their card bill and see if their acquirer is charging them excessively. If they are ask for a reduction or change acquirer.

They should be no reason why merchants do not accept card payments for low value transactions especially now that contactless has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

You should ask for it again, and you shouldn't leave without it. If you have already left without it, then you've accepted the situation, and there's nothing you can do about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks for advice.
    I was just wondering what I do if something similar happened again. I'd go back to the place again to be honest. They were just very busy and I say the girl was just frazzled.

Thanks for advice.
    I was just wondering what I do if something similar happened again. I'd go back to the place again to be honest. They were just very busy and I say the girl was just frazzled.

Happened to me not so long ago in a similar sort of places. Annoying when it happens luckily the girl realised her mistake and was quick to give me the correct change. Tricky situation if they say that they did give you the right change though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It sounds like the girl was a new starter and probably a bit frazzled.....it was a mistake, they happen, just leave it be and move on OP.

Advertisement