Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do when your not given your change?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It sounds like the girl was a new starter and probably a bit frazzled.....it was a mistake, they happen, just leave it be and move on OP.

Yes, I think he got that.
    Thanks for advice.
    I was just wondering what I do if something similar happened again. I'd go back to the place again to be honest. They were just very busy and I say the girl was just frazzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Techmaster wrote: »
    Possibly the most ridiculous post of the day.

Have you a source for this?
    there must be a legal requirement, at that rate we all would be done left right and center,
    i have worked in the catering trade, and if someone came up to me and said i had not given them back their change, of course i would correct the problem by giving them their change and apologizing, it is not good for business, and i would not like it done to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It sounds like the girl was a new starter and probably a bit frazzled.....it was a mistake, they happen, just leave it be and move on OP.

so the business is up and the customer is overcharged and out of pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

goat2 wrote: »
    Yes, by €1.25. Not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,582 ✭✭✭✭looksee

there must be a legal requirement, at that rate we all would be done left right and center,
    i have worked in the catering trade, and if someone came up to me and said i had not given them back their change, of course i would correct the problem by giving them their change and apologizing, it is not good for business, and i would not like it done to me.

Of course you would, but that is nothing to do with legal requirements. Can you imagine how quickly word would go round - don't shop in x's they don't give you change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes, by €1.25. Not the end of the world.
    Sure it isn't but the staff member needs to be pulled up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Actually, as already has been discussed, there is no legal requirement to provide change.

However, imagine how the world would work if change wasn't given. Therefore, it's become accepted practice to offer change. Any business that didn't would quickly be closed due to lack of custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1983211

I always use credit card - since there is no transaction fee and pay it off every month. I don't remember when I used cash last time and I don't go to places that don't accept cards. I even pay 22c bag levy with credit card ... no issues with change ... If I could pay my rent with credit card I would

1983211 wrote: »
    I always use credit card - since there is no transaction fee and pay it off every month. I don't remember when I used cash last time and I don't go to places that don't accept cards. I even pay 22c bag levy with credit card ... no issues with change ... If I could pay my rent with credit card I would

You'd use a credit card to buy a newspaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1983211

You'd use a credit card to buy a newspaper?

I would pay for pack of chewing gums with it .. when I stand somewhere waiting to pay and there is somebody in front of me looking for a change in their bag and counting coins it drives me crazy. With card its much much faster, and the only shop which had limit of 10 euro for card transaction was Centra so I don't go there .. not sure if they still have limit tho

• Advertisement

You wouldn't do much shopping in the small shops around here. And I'd do my nut in the queue behind you too. ;)

Mr.S wrote: »
    If the machine is slow, that's the retailers fault for not investing in a decent terminal!

Up to date machines that connect with WiFi / 4G etc are pretty much instant with your pin, let alone the contactless.

Card transactions all the way.

Well, I have yet to come across any pretty much instant terminals anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Well, I have yet to come across any pretty much instant terminals anywhere.

Try the petrol station on the quays in Dublin. By time time you've your finger off the enter button it's gone through. Practically instant. A lot quicker than counting coins anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

and if someone came up to me and said i had not given them back their change, of course i would correct the problem by giving them their change and apologizing, it is not good for business, and i would not like it done to me.

Completely agree, and also with the OP. However just being devils advocate here because I used to work in retail and the following was a frequent occurence-

person buys something for a euro or 2. Hands in a 5er. Comes back- "I gave you 50 but you only gave me 3 change" do you just take their word for it and take 45 euro out of the till and hand it over no questions

Not being negative, its easy to make such a mistake. But one has to look out for ones own job too as there are either (a) people who genuinely believe theyve handed you 50eu when they havent or (b) petty con men who make a habit of doing that in different shops. They just need to be lucky once to make 45quid.

Now, with such a low amount of change in this case its irrelevant. Luckily where I worked we could count the till right there to see if they did hand a 50, and we had cctv that could zoom to the detail on one's shoelaces as back up.

I guess my point is that in 90percent of cases the customer is genuine. But what if that staff member is unfortunate enough to meet a person trying to do them without good cctv etc

In the OPs case, yeah, I'd give the change back, and the majority of customers, such as the OP are genuine. However the majority of shop staff are too. When I worked in retail, would I have risked my job to do someone for a few quid at the risk of losing my job? Of course not. Rarely is there any malicious intent in the short changing of people. 5,10, even a hundred quid in return for getting fired?

Not worth the risk, aside from morals. Unless you worked in a small enough shop where everyone was stupid and mean enough to be in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Out of pocket by a little over a euro.....hardly broke the bank.

The girl was new, she made a mistake, we've all done it, she doesn't deserve a reprimand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Sure it isn't but the staff member needs to be pulled up over it.

No she doesn't.....she was new and made a mistake....let's not act as though none of us have made a mistake

Advertisement