Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer freezing too much now!!

Options
  • 17-07-2015 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Windows 7 computer bought in 2010. It has been freezing a lot more so then before. When opening google chrome it goes Not Responding to many times. I have restarted my computer 6 times not im in fact surprise i am able to type here. The computer has recently had a total system restore for the umpteen time. I am about to put my fist through the bloody screen. I put a secondary HDD inside to try and free up space on the Main HDD but its not making any difference.

Help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Could possibly be the main HDD is starting to fail. Download a program called crystal disk info to check the health of your current drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Could possibly be the main HDD is starting to fail. Download a program called crystal disk info to check the health of your current drive.

Hi MiskyBoyy ill do that now, thanks. Also i just turned on the computer went to facebook and opened two pages and the whole chrome froze.. again. Is explorer related to hdd failure>

there are a lot of links on the page which one should i download?

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi MiskyBoyy ill do that now, thanks. Also i just turned on the computer went to facebook and opened two pages and the whole chrome froze.. again. Is explorer related to hdd failure>

there are a lot of links on the page which one should i download?

Sorry, just download the Standard edition 3.7mb. You can delete it after you're finished with it if you want.

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

First thing I would do is backup all the important data to somewhere off the computer.

I would also suspect the drive might be failing. Even if its ok its been going a long time.

I would re-install windows on the new drive, and stop using the old one for anything important.

beauf wrote: »
    First thing I would do is backup all the important data to somewhere off the computer.

I would also suspect the drive might be failing. Even if its ok its been going a long time.

I would re-install windows on the new drive, and stop using the old one for anything important.

I bought the computer about June 2015 and it came installed with windows 7 home premium. On the computer (see pic) I have 453 GB HDD and 12.2 GB Factory Image

2lkwtwi.png

I had an External HDD and the power chipboard failed (see pic) so after one year it stopped working taking all my movies in it, 400gbs of them...

15qvk1i.jpg
    2v3iws8.jpg

I had lost 3 hrd drive and was becomming fed up at this point and was about to give up and chuck them in the bin and i wondered if i could some how connect the inner ext inner hard drive to my computer by temperately disconnecting my main HDD and hooking the external up.

Once inside the machine i noticed an extra space for a second HDD and with a little jigging i got the external to sit beside the original one, i disconnected the wires going to the optical drive connected them to the External drive and low and behold i had TWO functioning hard drives, I have double the computer storage and saved my old ex HDd files. I have never ever attempted anything like this before so for me this was a major achievement.

you mentioned I would re-install windows on the new drive, and stop using the old one for anything important.

How would i be able to do that? once i press F11 for the complete factory reset i don't think it has ever asked me were i want to install the windows 7,

• Advertisement

Unless you have the factory disks you probably can't. You could probably image the existing drive to the second one. But I doubt you have space free to do it.

Your problem is not the disks failing. But that you never had a backup of the data. Once you have a backup. A disk failing is a minor glitch.

Unless you have the factory disks you probably can't. You could probably image the existing drive to the second one. But I doubt you have space free to do it.

Your problem is not the disks failing. But that you never had a backup of the data. Once you have a backup. A disk failing is a minor glitch.

Firstly When i did a factory reset, after a week the computer asked me if i wanted to make disks, would these be the factory disks you speak of?

Secondly if i do another factory reset, what will happen to the new HDD? will the files be erased from that too? hepatically speaking will i see this: http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/choose-disk.png

Seriously just do a backup to somewhere else first.

Seriously just do a backup to somewhere else first.

back what up???? what ever i have on my computer is on my other drives outside the computer offsite.

I have already factory reset the computer (quite a few times)

Did you check your hard drives health with that program after?

• Advertisement

Did you check your hard drives health with that program after?

it said everything was hunky dory,, but i still get a few crashes of chrome not as many now but still slow enough. OR is it my brain is getting faster as i approach 40?? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

When you do a factory reset is there any antivirus software preinstalled?

Usually a trial probably expired by now.

back what up???? what ever i have on my computer is on my other drives outside the computer offsite.

I have already factory reset the computer (quite a few times)

I couldn't quite follow the saga with the disks.

Factory reset didn't help with speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Usually a trial probably expired by now.

The op should remove it completly and see if the issues go away. If they do you have found your problem.

I think he should image the drive to a ssd. Then do a factory reset. Remove all the software that gets preinstalled.

I've an old disk in my test PC and it crawls but only when using the disk. Once everything is loaded is quick enough.

What's the spec of this machine does it ha 4gb of ram?

Did you run crystal mark that someone suggested earlier.

It asks me if i want norton in the few reinstall i have accepted it or not and deleted the rest later

I couldn't quite follow the saga with the disks.

Factory reset didn't help with speed?

No not really, the chrome will still lag.

I decided to let the computer update its self and with Microsoft update and now its become worst then before, chrome is struggling to open, facebook looks like this as an example

dy3faa.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If the machine is from 2010, it may just have 2GB of ram? Using Chrome on 2GB of Ram is painful, can only have one or two tabs open before it just essentially locks up periodically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I decided to let the computer update its self and with Microsoft update and now its become worst then before, chrome is struggling to open, facebook looks like this as an example

dy3faa.png

Have you got Adblock in lockdown mode or something? Try disabling Adblock from your browser and see if it looks any better.

i went to bed at three this morning and i was 97% sure the computer was off, came down at 9am to find the machine was updating from Microsoft update that was odd as im alone in the house. Add block is a god send with ut it the adverts really bog down the machine.

regarding RAM if i bought 2x8 gbs of ram and installed them would it make a difference?

i went to bed at three this morning and i was 97% sure the computer was off, came down at 9am to find the machine was updating from Microsoft update that was odd as im alone in the house. Add block is a god send with ut it the adverts really bog down the machine.

regarding RAM if i bought 2x8 gbs of ram and installed them would it make a difference?

No it wouldn't be 2 x 8gb you'd be looking at. That's probably desktop ram. Laptop ram is a different size.

Go to this site, and download the crucial system scanner to see what laptop ram you have in your machine: http://www.crucial.com/

then buy 1 4gb stick or 2 x 4gb sticks from here if you want: https://www.memoryc.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I get the impression it is a desktop.

You don't need any more than 4GB for casual use but it is important you check if you even have that to begin with. If you only have 2GB that would explain a lot.

I've one laptop that's about 7yrs old with 2gb of ram and it works ok for browsing. I find a slow hard drive a bigger issue.

If I see images not loading it's usually a problem with my net connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

I had an External HDD and the power chipboard failed (see pic) so after one year it stopped working taking all my movies in it, 400gbs of them...

Computers can get flakey for any number of reasons, from software to hardware. But when you've already had issues like this, I'd definitely consider that the power supply in your house isn't very smooth, and that the power supply in your PC may be damaged, or just not able to deal with the variations on the line.

Other hardware problems that can cause the symptoms that you've described are a very dusty environment, so that crud build up on the fan and heatsink, so that the CPU overheats (you've already had the case open to stick in the 2nd HDD - did you notice a lot of dust?).

Besides HDD issues, you can also have issues with RAM that only kick in when there's a bunch of stuff loading and a lot of things are being moved in and out of RAM quickly.

Unfortunately, pinning these things down can be tricky. You can get free s/w for testing both the HDD and the RAM, and you can get tools that will report on the temperature of the CPU and motherboard, if the motherboard supports that. But there really isn't any free way to test a dodgey power supply. Besides the external HDD, have you had other electronic devices in the house break, or seem to be slightly less reliable for you than they are for your friends?

If you've done factory installs more than once, and the problem persists, it's probably not a software issue, (and likely not a HDD issue).

You're over thinking it. A PC is a machine. Its simple to fix. You test things one by one.

Hes not done that so its impossible to eliminate anything as the culprit. The HD is the easiest one to test. Disconnect the primary hard drive and use the other one, or a live CD.

Personally I never use a factory install, as they are usually full of bloat, all potentially problematic. Remove all the bloat before testing.

Ok just took me 20 minuets to actually sign in to boards fgs, chrome just takes so long (and others too) constant freezing

Beauf what would happen if i disconnected the main HDD with windows 7 and let the computer turn on with the second hdd installed where it is with nothing but movies???

Bayberry last year i opened the computer up for the first time because the fan was going man, running normal and the going in to over drive for 5 seconds and then normal doing this every not and again. there was a lot of dust which i carefully cleared out. i cleaned the machine inside top to bottom. the computer returned to normal and the fan never gave me trouble since.

however in the pat 6 months its become slow, today simple executions such as opening the windows tab is painful, trying to get browser to open and not freeze 9 or 10 times,

when i turned it off today (1 of 15 times) when the computer came back on and i could see windows and a loading circular the windows music didn't come on right away but 10 minuets after it had turned on.

I now wish the blue screen f death would visit the dam machine and be done with it once and for all.

I get the impression it is a desktop.

You don't need any more than 4GB for casual use but it is important you check if you even have that to begin with. If you only have 2GB that would explain a lot.

Yes its a PC (took me 2 mins to white this as compute froze again)

Total physical memory (RAM) is 2.75GBs RAM
    Installed physical memory (RAM) is 3.00GBs RAM

• Advertisement

No it wouldn't be 2 x 8gb you'd be looking at. That's probably desktop ram. Laptop ram is a different size.

Go to this site, and download the crucial system scanner to see what laptop ram you have in your machine: http://www.crucial.com/

then buy 1 4gb stick or 2 x 4gb sticks from here if you want: https://www.memoryc.ie

Its a desktop x-64 based PC bought in 2010 June not a laptop.

HP Pavilion and has served me well for the past few years.

Advertisement