Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer freezing too much now!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

beauf wrote: »
    A lot of people on these threads, want to take the longest route to fix problems. I have no idea why.

Buying hardware and swapping it in and out IS the longest route to fix problems, unless money is no opbject, in which case you're better off just buying a new laptop.

There's an argument to be made for replacing a HDD with an SSD even if you don't have problems (as long as you don't need all the space on a large HDD), but it takes time to migrate data between drives, and if it turns out that the problem is a software issue, it's just wasted time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Swapping out parts IS a test. Crude, but quick. Its basic problem solving. Split the problem in half, then half again.

SSD will make the most difference to most people. Unless you are doing something specialized or have some other requirement.

A lot of people on these threads, want to take the longest route to fix problems. I have no idea why.

The problem with swapping out parts to test is that it's not targeted enough based on testing , id prefer try determine where the problem is, it means I could buy a hard drive and still have a perfectly functioning one removed, it costs and might not improve things.

I can see I likely will end up buying a hard drive and/or ram but if I only need one, I don't want to have to buy the other uneccesarily, as much as I don't want to have useful parts laying around as the cost.
    I see a ssd is mentioned a lot, if I end up going the route of replacing the hard drive is an ssd any better than a replacement sata HDD? Assuming any diagnostics can at least identify or point towards the HDD As the problem?
    If any diagnostics don't point to a problem then I will has no choice to resort to dealing out parts.

cerastes wrote: »
    I see a ssd is mentioned a lot, if I end up going the route of replacing the hard drive is an ssd any better than a replacement sata HDD?
    A properly configured SSD is much, much faster than a HDD, especially a laptop HDD. But you will get less capacity for your Euro - a 128GB SSD will cost as much or more than a 500GB HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why would the OP need to buy hardware? A live CD is a free download, and he the OP already has a 2nd hard drive he can use.

The problem with swapping out parts to test is that it's not targeted enough based on testing , id prefer try determine where the problem is, it means I could buy a hard drive and still have a perfectly
    functioning one removed, it costs and might not improve things....

You are missing the point entirely. I didn't say buy a drive to test.

You remove HD as an issue by using Live CD. Or using another drive if you have one. (The OP has one). You remove software as an issue by using different software. The live CD. This is an issue that should be fixed in under an hour. The point about the SSD is that a SSD is a great upgrade to most machines.

• Advertisement

You remove HD as an issue by using Live CD. You remove software as an issue by using different software. The live CD.
    You're missing the point - you remove BOTH the HDD and the current software as an issue when you use a LiveCD, so it doesn't tell you anything about whether the problem is due to the HDD or the current software configuration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

You remove HD as an issue by using Live CD. Or using another drive if you have one. (The OP has one). You remove software as an issue by using different software. The live CD. This is an issue that should be fixed in under an hour. The point about the SSD is that a SSD is a great upgrade to most machines.

I found this very useful guys: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp

Bayberry wrote: »
    You're missing the point - you remove BOTH the HDD and the current software as an issue when you use a LiveCD, so it doesn't tell you anything about whether the problem is due to the HDD or the current software configuration.

Just leave it you're not getting it. Its already been explained.
    What I'm suggesting is not testing the hard drive. Rather the opposite. Its testing the rest of the hardware with a different OS....
    There’s a number of ways that you can use Ubuntu to diagnose hardware problems, but the first is really obvious once you think about it—just boot off the Live CD, and start running some applications and test out all the hardware from a working Linux environment. If the system works fine in Linux, the problem is probably a Windows issue.

tonyheaney wrote: »

A SDD is just a lot faster. Which is useful for fast startup and shut down. Also loading applications, anything it reads from the HDD. Any app (like a web browser) which caches to the disk a lot will also be a lot faster. Some apps can avoid this adding a lot of RAM but some will cache to the HDD anyway. So RAM won't help them.

To be honest all you need to know is its a lot faster. But is expensive vs a HD for the same amount of space. So people usually use the SSD for the OS and a few apps they want to run fast, say games, or perhaps their development/work environment. Then store all their big data like media on a 2nd HDD.

But none of this is really that important. If your PC has damaged its motherboard, perhaps due to a power surge, or you are loading some software that is hogging 100% of your CPU. Then all this is irrelevant. You need to find and fix that problem before looking a SSD's.

Tony, there's no point in beauf and I discussing our philosophical differences over debugging techniques in your thread. Rather than continuing to give you conflicting advice, I'll just bow out at this point.

• Advertisement

Ditto. Good luck with it Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

cheers guy :) thanks for the help thus far

Its been a few months and I didnt have the time to attend to the problem I mentioned in this thread, my laptop is so slow now that it makes doing anything very very long, at times it can be ok for a few moments, but it can lock up for ages and the task manager is maxed out or very close for CPU and physical memory usage, even now its locked up a few times with the Win7 circle (egg timer) always coming on when its thinking about if it will process information, I get time out errors for scripts. Its gotten to the point that its unuseable where changing tab can lock everything up,
    I think Im just going to try order an SSD, look into taking an image of the current HDD and try instal Win7 and see how it goes, any recommendations on SSD make, place to buy, drive capacity, cost??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Its been a few months and I didnt have the time to attend to the problem I mentioned in this thread, my laptop is so slow now that it makes doing anything very very long, at times it can be ok for a few moments, but it can lock up for ages and the task manager is maxed out or very close for CPU and physical memory usage, even now its locked up a few times with the Win7 circle (egg timer) always coming on when its thinking about if it will process information, I get time out errors for scripts. Its gotten to the point that its unuseable where changing tab can lock everything up,
    I think Im just going to try order an SSD, look into taking an image of the current HDD and try instal Win7 and see how it goes, any recommendations on SSD make, place to buy, drive capacity, cost??

Hi there,

Run crystal disk find out if it your hardrive then run msconfig and try knocking off programs,then run a defrag on hardrive will take a while to do then restart computer and see if it speeds up if not i suggest upgrading your operating system and start from scratch again.hope i helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Just taking a look back through the thread and the one thing I can suggest is getting rid of uTorrent. Many will ask why?, but it's problematic to a lot of users who do not know how, or do not want to, scan for viruses on the software they downloaded.

My father is having the same issues on his PC regarding lockouts on Chrome, TBH Chrome has gone to the dogs over the past years. I use FireFox on the same machine and it's fine. My OH also has chrome on her PC and it sucks monkey balls, yet FireFox works perfectly.

What extension or addons do you have for Chrome? I suggest getting rid of everything you don't need.

Failing this, I would back up your essential files (not the downloaded movies etc) and format the drive. See how that goes before buying new hardware.

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

Run crystal disk find out if it your hardrive then run msconfig and try knocking off programs,then run a defrag on hardrive will take a while to do then restart computer and see if it speeds up if not i suggest upgrading your operating system and start from scratch again.hope i helped.

Every bit helps, I didnt want to have no access via laptop and didnt really have the time, so it was on the long finger for a longtime but its so bad (while at the moment its ok, it can just lock up completely and take ages to do anything), I just need to get it sorted as I want to use a drawing application and consider this will just have a large draw on processing resources.

I'll run that crystal disk.
    I've already backed everything up to an external drive, made discs for the original OS and reloaded it, but it wnet back to being slow and locking up again, and that didnt take long after reloading the OS.
    There were suggestions of SSD and I was thinking of upgrading the RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Every bit helps, I didnt want to have no access via laptop and didnt really have the time, so it was on the long finger for a longtime but its so bad (while at the moment its ok, it can just lock up completely and take ages to do anything), I just need to get it sorted as I want to use a drawing application and consider this will just have a large draw on processing resources.

I'll run that crystal disk.
    I've already backed everything up to an external drive, made discs for the original OS and reloaded it, but it wnet back to being slow and locking up again, and that didnt take long after reloading the OS.
    There were suggestions of SSD and I was thinking of upgrading the RAM.

Hi there,

I recommend starting of from scratch so dont put anything on hardrive accpet the operating system and see if it fast,if it is you have to much stuff on hardrive r you have fail hardrive,then start gradually adding your stuff back on and see if it works.

If it still same upgrade your computer.

Advertisement