Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football's coming home.

Options
  • 17-07-2015 3:38am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Nothing on this so far but this Saturday at 6.30pm, there's a match in Buckley Park between an Alfie Hale XI and a Billy Walsh XI. Former players such as Brendan Rea, David Breen, Moc Reid, Paul Devereux, Paschal Keane, Paul Cashin and Craig ‘Rocky’ Maher, the Walsh brothers Ollie, Billy and Michael, as well as Mark and Niall Andrews, current Bohs captain Davy Mulcahy is also on the teamsheet, as are Simon Walton, Jim Nugent, Peter Murtagh and Tommy Buckley, a grand-nephew of the late Marty. GAA stars Andy Comerford and Willie O’Connor, with Charlie Carter, Brian McEvoy, P.J. Ryan and Liam Simpson will also be there.

In other fantastic news for local soccer, Kilkenny United have been announced to play in the national women's football league for the coming season. They are still looking for players, so if you think you're good enough check out their facebook page. They will be playing at Buckley Park for the coming season.

11713675_1679398952289176_7222828391256900532_o.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

FYI I think Kilkenny United are playing the Celtic ladies on Sunday also, with a follow up game the following week with Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

No squealer? No Johnny Prizeman? No Howie King? No big Trevor Vaughan!?

No thank you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No squealer? No Johnny Prizeman? No Howie King? No big Trevor Vaughan!?

No thank you!

Moc Reid and Paschal Keane, how could you say no to that? Do you think Moc has lost any of his pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

How did this go? Those names bring back some memories :-)

What's BP used for these days? I see the article about Kilkenny United Womens team using it going forward. Is there anyone else using it?

It's a fine ground/pitch compared to whats around the country. I moved away a number of years ago and am often asked about the ground nowadays.

Do you remember the Alfie Hale testimonial game? Carey had some first yard of pace :-)

I've a ST up in Oriel Park for a few years now. What they wouldn't give for that pitch up here. :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was surprised to see a thread about 'football' here ;) Is there a Kilkenny mens team playing at any level nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

cargo wrote: »
    How did this go? Those names bring back some memories :-)

What's BP used for these days? I see the article about Kilkenny United Womens team using it going forward. Is there anyone else using it?

It's a fine ground/pitch compared to whats around the country. I moved away a number of years ago and am often asked about the ground nowadays.

Do you remember the Alfie Hale testimonial game? Carey had some first yard of pace :-)

I've a ST up in Oriel Park for a few years now. What they wouldn't give for that pitch up here. :-)

Finished 2-2, bit of a kick about. Brendan Rea didn't show up, :( Billy Walsh had his brothers Ollie and Mickey, Dave Mulcahy, Liam Simpson, Jim Nugent, Brian McEvoy, Brian Jordon, Conor Best, Mark and Niall Andrews and Peter Murtagh (I know I've forgotten some). Who I remember from Alfie Hale's XI are Moc Ried, Paul Devereux, David Breen, Rocky Maher, Andy Comerford, Squeeler Walsh, Paul Cashin, Mickey Comerford and Paschal Keane. The goals were scored by Niall Andrews (a cracker which I missed because I was giving someone my email) and a Billy Walsh peno, for Alfie Hale's team, Mickey Comerford and Squeeler (peno).

Dave Mul was running the show despite not looking like he ever got out of first gear, Moc Reid was deadly, he was slow back in the day and I'd say he hasn't got any slower. There wasn't much of a crowd there, which I don't know whether it was down to bad publicity or not much of an appetite in Kilkenny for soccer. I didn't see many of the former supporters there.

Newpark are currently using Buckley Park, the pitch is looking in great knick, around the edges not so much. Oriel Park is a kip (I'm sure you're aware), I've played on that type of turf before, there is a much better turf you can get now, they have one in Carlow IT, hopefully next time they go to change it, they'll get decent stuff laid. I think the pitch cost you against BATE. I too have a season ticket but for Tallaght.

Squeeler scores his peno
    11695935_10153379066695306_3722455939957842185_n.jpg?oh=e374c44e4c69f0aff85795eca2885cef&oe=5653A53A

I did take a photo of the two teams but I don't know where it went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Should be a good game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

It is a great shame there is not much support for football in Kilkenny, it appear it is hurling and even more hurling, though in all fairness I am not a great supporter, in fact terrible, I used to follow Wimbledon, the crazy gang but lost interest when they moved to Milton Keynes and the new AFC Wimbledon does nothing.
    It would be nice to have a Kilkenny team, we need a good campaign for the club. one presumes there is a club.
    Foxy inspired by, well say no more

Advertisement