Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice

Options
  • 17-07-2015 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

What happened? Some people saying the crowd was awful and talked right through the opening act and didn't stop when he took the stage either and that he just blew through his set without interacting with the crowd (if the talking happened, I wouldn't blame him for doing this)

But it also seems that people are saying there wasn't anything bad in the crowd that he just being a pr1ck. Not great when that's the headline act for the Festival

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I heard from someone there that like at any other gig ive ever been to an element of the crowd were chatting(always happens at Big Top too as so many get free tickets etc), he then told them to go to the pub if they wanted a conversation and proceeded to rattle through his set. Not a fan of his or any of the Big Top gigs usually so im happy i missed nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

He also requested that the bar be closed at half 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The bar closed about 15mins before he started, at his request. That and the fact that it was a damp evening meant a lot of people who were there for a social night out at the arts festival rather than massive Damien Rice fans were all inside the tent. He didn't interact much with the crowd, just to stop to tell those talking that the Roisin Dubh was open for them.

I can understand if it's an indoor concert but he needs to relax a bit for a tent gig at a festival. If people want to go to bar for a pint and a chat mid-gig, let them.

The crowd was very loud for the support act (Colm Mac Con Iomaire) though. He also made comments about it between most songs and was getting pretty frustrated. It was fairly wet at that time so a lot of people were in the tent for shelter. There was no mention of him on the listing for the night, presumably because they're still trying to sell tickets for his own gig on Monday in the Roisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Sad to hear the mixed reviews from Galway. I was at the gig in the Iveagh gardens last weekend and it was brilliant, he was well on form, a few rambling stories but there was a good connection with the crowd. Apart from a few drunken loud nordie women shouting ****e every few minutes (and the PA acting up) it was a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My friends were there and one of them is a huge DR fan, the other likes him. Both were disappointed by the gig overall. He performed without a band, that was a little disappointing for them, but they said his sound was good. The biggest thing was him insisting the bar be closed early and refusing to go on until everyone had left the bar. As others have said, this was a social night for many and the gig was NOT in an intimate venue but in a festival setting. Then telling people that if they wanted to talk they could "go to the Roisin" worked - many left and did!
    Pity about the attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

inisboffin wrote: »
    My friends were there and one of them is a huge DR fan, the other likes him. Both were disappointed by the gig overall. He performed without a band, that was a little disappointing for them, but they said his sound was good. The biggest thing was him insisting the bar be closed early and refusing to go on until everyone had left the bar. As others have said, this was a social night for many and the gig was NOT in an intimate venue but in a festival setting. Then telling people that if they wanted to talk they could "go to the Roisin" worked - many left and did!
    Pity about the attitude.

The odd thing about it is, he drinks. He also plays other venues with a bar open. I just followed how things were going from live tweets. People were complaining about the crowd during the opening act. I'm guessing that's why he wanted the bar to be closed.

It sounds like he outgrew Galway

I've never been a fan of the Arts Festival. It attracts a crappy crowd. Between the Rally weekend in January, Race week in July, Arts Festival in July, RAG week at the start of the year...there's a few weeks in the year of a bad element around the city and not a lot else for the people who don't enjoy be surrounded by arseholes

Wompa1 wrote: »
    People were complaining about the crowd during the opening act. I'm guessing that's why he wanted the bar to be closed.

No there were signs up on the way in (before the support act started) that "The bar will close at 9.30pm tonight, at the request of the artist".

J o e wrote: »
    No there were signs up on the way in (before the support act started) that "The bar will close at 9.30pm tonight, at the request of the artist".

If it was stated on tickets or when purchasing in advance it may well have kept the talkers out, thus solving Mr Rice's issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I was at the concert last night, and although there was noise coming from the peripheries, i felt that it was almost as a result of the non-interaction from DR himself.

There was a lot of noise for the warm act, but considering people were just making their way in, not many would have known who he was and it was 100% instrumental, its not hard to see why.

The noise wasn't too bad when DR started, but he didnt interact once with the crowd until he told them to be quiet, and he had lost those attendees by this point anyway.

Towards the end of the gig he got the crowd participating (at his request) and this was easily the best 10 mins of the gig! if he had started out on this vein, it might have been a totally different gig!

I also agree with previous poster re stating in the advertisements that the bar would be closed while he was on stage, the tickets cost enough for people to commit to a full night out, which they would have presumed had access to a bar!

Odd. Although, I've gone to gigs like that before.

I wonder why he decided that for Galway but allows it at other gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

always have average artists at premium prices, think they can justify it as it the feshtival!

I also agree with previous poster re stating in the advertisements that the bar would be closed while he was on stage, the tickets cost enough for people to commit to a full night out, which they would have presumed had access to a bar!

I got to a Dave Chappelle show once to find a flyer on my seat saying No talking, No Pictures, No Video, No Shouting and No Alcohol while Dave is performing.

This was an actual festival. It was called the Oddball Festival. There were 6 other Comedians and a musical act.

The reaction wasn't to talk over them though. I know for some reason some people who go to a show feel like they are going to be part of the show. I don't get that, though.

would have been less there is they knew that!

seanin4711 wrote: »
    always have average artists at premium prices, think they can justify it as it the feshtival!

Wow, how do you define average? Are you talking about how much they gross? Talent?

I know a lot of people don't like him because he was part of that singer songwriter period, which, for some reason people in Ireland didn't like but what is it that he has done that makes people so upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd say the operators of the bar concession were a bit annoyed! I'm sure they paid handsomely to operate the bar there, this would have hit their profits big time. Arts festival may have had to compensate them for loss of revenue...

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Every time I go to a gig at the Big Top I regret it and against my better judgement I went again earlier this week.

I hated it again, for all the same reasons - the majority of the crowd seem to have no interest at all in the music/performance, they spend the whole time drinking and talking very loudly. I have no problem with drinking/talking but why would you buy a €40 ticket to do that instead of just going to the pub to meet up with friends?

I guess it must be true that loads of people get concession tickets so have no real interest in the music. I have been to lots of music events but none of them have the same awful noisy atmosphere as the Big Top. It's a real shame as it does attract some good performers that would not come to Galway otherwise but in future I'd rather travel further afield to see and hear them with a crowd who are genuinely there for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 South Tipperary Arts Centre

it's a wonder that the sound guy/rodie or whoever didn't just wang up the amplifier til it overpowered the talkers.

Bit much though not having the bar policy notified on tickets in advance.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Wow, how do you define average? Are you talking about how much they gross? Talent?

I know a lot of people don't like him because he was part of that singer songwriter period, which, for some reason people in Ireland didn't like but what is it that he has done that makes people so upset?

where else would he get 40€ a ticket currently?
    nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

nowhere

Inside the next two weeks:

Rome €40
    Munich €46
    Lyon €48
    Copenhagen 470.00 kr. (€63)

nowhere

His initial run of gigs for the new album all sold out on the day of release.

• Advertisement

Does the Big Top have a history of people getting drunk and rowdy? I've never been, so I don't know, but if it has a reputation then you can understand his wanting there to be no drink.

You also have to understand how disrespectful it is to a musician to go to a gig and talk over them. You can understand if it was a bar setting, but it's not; it's a proper gig. You're there to listen. You're there because you want to see the artist performing.

If you want to chat continuously, go f*ck off somewhere else.

You can understand if it was a bar setting, but it's not; it's a proper gig.

The Big Top is described on the GIAF website as "a vibrant outdoor vibe, a bar, and lots of room to dance and mingle"...

It doesn't mean you're allowed to be disrespectful to the person performing. Doesn't the Big Top hold more events than musicians? Surely people would have the common sense to know what is allowed and what isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I was the gig. Tickets were given to me as a gift. I don't drink anymore but the bar closing at 9:30 is very DIVA. Worked against him. We had no interest in seeing the opening act so myself and my friend had coffee outside, in the rain, so I cant speak to what went on inside the tent, (hadn't been aware it would be on and found it very 'elevator music' from where I stood outside).

When DR came on I didn't think the talkers were unreasonably loud (from where I stood over beside the far left wall). If they seemed loud, it wasn't helped by the fact that he saved all his well known songs for the end, and the first forty minutes were very slow, quieter type of song that anyone who isn't a fan wouldn't know. I was entirely bored for the first half of the show, but knew that my friend was a fan and so stood and listened. If it weren't for her I would have left. She later told me that she wanted to leave too but was staying because she thought I wanted to stay. If only we had talked to eachother!

He redeemed himself slightly at the end with the audience participation and the better known songs which were really enjoyable. He could have gained a stronger following by being less Diva, but I suspect that anyone who went just to check him out will have been completely put off him. I know I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It doesn't mean you're allowed to be disrespectful to the person performing. Doesn't the Big Top hold more events than musicians? Surely people would have the common sense to know what is allowed and what isn't.

Is the crowd there to entertain him or is he there to entertain the crowd?

Does the Big Top have a history of people getting drunk and rowdy? I've never been, so I don't know, but if it has a reputation then you can understand his wanting there to be no drink.

You also have to understand how disrespectful it is to a musician to go to a gig and talk over them. You can understand if it was a bar setting, but it's not; it's a proper gig. You're there to listen. You're there because you want to see the artist performing.

If you want to chat continuously, go f*ck off somewhere else.
    No.

It would take a very large percentage of an audience in the Big Top to drown out a performer.

Its the GIAF, a lot of people are there for a social night out not necessarily purely for a DR gig and a lot of freebies are given too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

No.

It would take a very large percentage of an audience in the Big Top to drown out a performer.

Its the GIAF, a lot of people are there for a social night out not necessarily purely for a DR gig and a lot of freebies are given too.

Just because its part of the arts festival, it was still a gig, not a circus. Social nights and chatting are for pubs, which can happen every other weekend in the year. Go to the gig and then the pub for a chat after. Other people paid money for a gig. It's disrespectful to others around you more than anything. The gig wasn't the place for talking, even with a freebie. Completely agree with Damien Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

I was there and I thought it was a disgrace that he ordered the bar to be closed. He treated the crowd with such disrespect by doing that and they then treated him with disrespect in return by talking during his gig. If he hadn't made such a ridiculous request he wouldn't have annoyed the crowd and they would have just had a few drinks and enjoyed the gig as planned. It was a gig, not a poetry recital.

The vast majority of people will have a few drinks at a gig, completely standard practise. Especially if it's an outdoor gig in a tent during an arts festival...ffs! He showed the height of contempt for people who had forked out alot of money to see him. I was very unhappy when I learned the bar was closing at 9.30 due to his request. I am sure a large amount of people would have taken a refund there and then if it was offered to them as he had basically ruined their night, the atmosphere was soured instantly. I've seen lots of great acts in the tent over the years and there has never been a problem like this...but then again I have never seen someone so up their own hole play that tent before. He should stick to playing wine bars or intimate gigs with die-hard fans if he has such a problem with playing standard gigs like every other artist out there. A twat of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just to throw my hat in here :p it's a festival tent not an intimate small room gig. Serious drama by DR.

There are certain etiquettes to be observed at various live musical events, for instance you would be shunned by the *audience* if you chatted away at a classical concert, an opera or in the middle of a Caoineadh solo. However in this boardsies opinion going into an festival tent for a musician like Damien Rice I would think that talking isn't a major sin.

Perhaps the audience were talking about the rain, whilst they were sheltering from it and the lack of alcohol available for some reason.

The whole thing smacks of yer man being a bit of a twat on the night. I'm sure he's a lovely man but it was a bit over the top.

I would left and chanced my arm to get my money back if I was there.

Advertisement