Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilimanjaro!

Options
  • 17-07-2015 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hey folks!

Just wondering who has climbed to the summit of Kili, what trekking route you took, and what's people's verdict? Is it worth it? I'm thinking of taking it on in January!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Undertow wrote: »
    Hey folks!

Just wondering who has climbed to the summit of Kili, what trekking route you took, and what's people's verdict? Is it worth it? I'm thinking of taking it on in January!

I climbed it about 2.5 years ago and took the Macheme route. I really enjoyed it, apart from summit day which I found really tough. It was a great sense of achievement and I am really glad I did it, but I wouldn't rush to do it again.

I did a 6 day trek and organised it all when I arrived in Moshi. I did a blog post on it http://frecklesahoy.blogspot.ie/2013/04/climbing-to-roof-of-africa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

I did it in August 2013, similar experience & route to Daises, there were 3 of us in the group which was organized from home via Trailfinders. Funnily enough also got a 'cold' on the final ascent and was in bits on the way down over the last day and a half.

Definitely worth it, one of the hardest but most rewarding things I have ever done. Memories of a lifetime.

There's a nice 4 part documentary on youtube -

Advertisement