Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to H80i cooling

Options
  • 17-07-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently built built my first PC and i'm thrilled with it with one exception: The cooling.

Combination of case fans and the Corsair H80i keeps the case and cpu icy cold, but its like a goddam harrier jump-jet at full whack.

Pushing the boundary in GTAV the H80i is so massively loud.

So, can anyone recommend an alternative cooler that won't deafen me?

Cheers,

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You could replace the fans. If there's one thing Corsair doesn't do well, it's fans.

Some good ones:
    Be Quiet! Silent Wings (2, I think? Maybe 3)
    Noctua NF-F12
    EK Vardar
    Factal Design Venturi

What motherboard do you have? If it has PWM headers, you can get PWM fans that have a much great operating range than 3-pin fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Can also look into getting a fan controller for the front of your case so you can manually up and down the speed of the case fans. Probably gonna invest in this myself at some point. You can also look into soundproofing your case using some of the material from overclockers.co.uk. I haven't used it nor read much about it but it exists at least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Can also look into getting a fan controller for the front of your case so you can manually up and down the speed of the case fans. Probably gonna invest in this myself at some point. You can also look into soundproofing your case using some of the material from overclockers.co.uk. I haven't used it nor read much about it but it exists at least :D

Agree with the fan controller looks great even if you don't use it much going to add one myself at some point.

However I seem to remember reading somewhere that using soundproofing material can cause the rig to run alot hotter than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I assume because it also acts as an insulator. That shouldn't be a problem as long as your rig has it's airflow set up correctly. If there isn't enough airflow it would definitely cause it to heat up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've a Fractal Design R4 case, and bought an additional two fans of theirs (shocked Maplin had them, and for a really good price to boot).
    Really quiet and barely noticable and airflow in my case is excellent thanks to them.

I've been using the Hyper Evo 212 CPU coolers for years now, when I moved from AMD to Intel bought another. They just seem to keep my CPU at a really nice level no matter what I am doing.

Only thing I've noticed lately is one the very odd occasion I hear what sounds like a jet engine taking off, happens the odd time on boot up. Think it might be my new GPU I got a while back (Sapphire Trix R9 290) as I never heard it before then. Although GPU temps never seem to go anywhere near what I'd call even slightly worrying

Hyper evo's are relatively cheap as well.

Also worth checking is any fans you have, are setup correctly. I remember one time my temps were getting a bit mental and wasn't sure why, then noticed I had rushed the end of a build and inverted fans by accident. Meant to be firing air out, yet they were taking air in, so I'd all my fans intaking and nothing pushing out :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement