Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build, CPU temperature through the roof

Options
  • 17-07-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey all,

So I've just finished my first pc build. For reference I'm using a nanoxia DS 3 case, and intel i5 4460 processor.

I downloaded Speccy and everything seems to be running nice and cool, except for the most important part. My CPU is registering at over 90 degrees when I'm running anything significant (e.g using origin software last night to download a game) , and while idle it seems to be averaging 50 - 70 degrees.

I checked the 3 fans that come with the DS 3 and all are spinning and seem to be fine, rpm seems ok in the BIOS too. The GPU seems fine also.

The CPU fan / heatsink is also spinning and I believe I installed correctly - watched some videos beforehand. Clicked the 4 legs in and looked underneath to see if flush.

The rpm for the CPU fan is around 1800 rpm.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? It's quite possible I messed up something during the build, but I was extremely careful and checked afterwards to make sure all components registered correctly on the system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Best course of action would be to reseat the cpu incase you applied to much thermal paste. Maybe try using different software like real temp to see if it gives the same temp levels on the off chance its not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Hmm, stock heatsink should be fine. Definitely recommend taking it off, reseating the CPU and reinstalling the heatsink.

Below if this doesn't improve the situation.
    Might be an idea to go into town and pick up some thermal paste and rubbing alcohol. Using a lint free cloth (glasses cloth) and a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, clean the heatsink and top of the cpu from the old thermal paste, let dry. Apply a rice grain amount of thermal paste to the top of the cpu and reinstall the heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Reseat the cooler, and reapply thermal paste, keeping in mind that less in more. A rice grain sized amount smack dab in the middle is enough.

Also, make sure other software programs agree on the reported temps, just to confirm the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hollywoodhogan

Thanks so much guys.

Im using the stock heatsink - and didn't apply any paste initially. As i understand it you don't have to with i5 processors.

So I need to pick up some paste? Im assuming any pc store will have it?

There should be no issue taking out the cpu and heatsink, and putting them back in again? Will this not strain the chip?

I will re check the temperature with another software first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Should be fine taking it out and putting it back in. No real additional strain, people do it all the time.
    The stock heatsink has thermal paste pre-applied. Any PC store should have thermal paste if you want to reapply. It shouldn't need new paste though since it is so new.

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Should be fine taking it out and putting it back in. No real additional strain, people do it all the time.
    The stock heatsink has thermal paste pre-applied. Any PC store should have thermal paste if you want to reapply. It shouldn't need new paste though since it is so new.

So Xeno, you think it is simply a case of re sitting the chip and heat sink?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So Xeno, you think it is simply a case of re sitting the chip and heat sink?

Yeah try that. I've done it with a 6 month old GPU and it didn't affect my temps at all.

If you're still having problems I'd try new paste. You'll be able to use it hot in the mean time, just keep an eye on it

The stock cooler comes woth the stuff pre applied (too much of it, as it happens, but it's not the end of the world).

My bet is on the heatsink not being mounted properly, as idle states of 50 degrees is almost like there is no heatsink contact at all it's so hot.

Also go into your BIOS and make sure all power saving settings are applied (c states etc).

Hey guys,

Just re seated the cpu and heat sink. CPU running at a cool 35/40 now while strenuous, was 80 plus before hand :)

Legends.

Hey guys,

Just re seated the cpu and heat sink. CPU running at a cool 35/40 now while strenuous, was 80 plus before hand :)

Legends.

35 under idle you mean? Sounds a bit low now for load :P

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry a bit off there. I haven't tested it properly yet, will do tonight. I meant that the processes I was hitting 80/90 with before I am now averaging mid 40s. It's like 30/35 idle.

Yeah sorry a bit off there. I haven't tested it properly yet, will do tonight. I meant that the processes I was hitting 80/90 with before I am now averaging mid 40s. It's like 30/35 idle.

Sounds perfectly normal in that case :)

Advertisement