Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober Meetups

Options
  • 17-07-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any good sober meetups?

I'm a married mother with a young baby in my late 20's and am nearing my 11th week of sobriety. So far I've only been connecting with other problem drinkers online but am feeling lonely in my sobriety and would love some in-real-life sober friends.

I have been a problem drinker since I started drinking at 15. I would have relied on wine to bring me back down at the end of the day and had trouble controlling myself on nights out. I'd often blackout and it would result in crippling depression for days afterwards. I have never been able to moderate for extended periods of time but I thought I had it sussed after abstaining during pregnancy. However it only took a couple of months to get back into the swing of it afterwards and in May, after a massive blackout night out, I had to admit to myself that I just could not control myself where alcohol is concerned. In all other areas of my life I'm so controlled and happy so it just did not make sense to continue down what could have been a very dangerous path.

All suggestions would be appreciated and I'd even be interested in creating a new meet-up with similar people if there was interest. Thanks! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

Hi,

Well done on your 11 weeks sobriety!

I understand about the changes needed for sober socializing. I stopped drinking 9 months ago & I had to make changes too. Unfortunately my social life at the mo is not super exciting - but I'm ok with that for now!

Have you tried the Meetup.com website? There is a group called Sober Slice that organize events. I have gone on some of them & they're good fun.

For me tho I am trying new ventures & they're often during the day eg hill walking etc. I find if I have a packed day I'm happier to sit in the evening - as I'm usually wrecked! I use the support of AA so I might go to a mtg in the evening sometimes.

My life is very different to when I was drinking & I kind of feel like I'm only now able to create new options for socializing - and honestly not with the sole purpose of socializing but for enjoying the activity, if that makes sense. When I was drinking I was way too self conscious & full of anxiety to try new things!

Im ok with the quieter life at the mo... Sorry I'm not more helpful. Good luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The last meet up only me and the lovely Hubba turned up, :-) I be home at Christmas maybe we could organise something then ?

Did I just mention Christmas .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 damok89

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest any good sober meetups?

I'm a married mother with a young baby in my late 20's and am nearing my 11th week of sobriety. So far I've only been connecting with other problem drinkers online but am feeling lonely in my sobriety and would love some in-real-life sober friends.

I have been a problem drinker since I started drinking at 15. I would have relied on wine to bring me back down at the end of the day and had trouble controlling myself on nights out. I'd often blackout and it would result in crippling depression for days afterwards. I have never been able to moderate for extended periods of time but I thought I had it sussed after abstaining during pregnancy. However it only took a couple of months to get back into the swing of it afterwards and in May, after a massive blackout night out, I had to admit to myself that I just could not control myself where alcohol is concerned. In all other areas of my life I'm so controlled and happy so it just did not make sense to continue down what could have been a very dangerous path.

All suggestions would be appreciated and I'd even be interested in creating a new meet-up with similar people if there was interest. Thanks! :-)

Hey I'd be interested in meeting for a coffee some evening or weekend. Let me know or send me a PM

Advertisement