Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure Musicians/Bands

Options
  • 17-07-2015 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some recommendations on more obscure or lesser know artists out there because sometimes they can be real gems. Over the last ten years my mates have told me about the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Nick Drake, Daniel Johntson etc (I'm aware that they're all far better known now) and I think they're all excellent, but other than having them recommended to me there's a good chance I still wouldn't know about them.

Now I'm not too picky when it comes to genres, my preferences would be rock, psychedelic, reggae, country, don't mind foreign music either etc etc try me with most things except heavy metal, not really a fan of that.

So any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Warren Zevon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Robotito wrote: »
    Warren Zevon

Thanks for that, I'll give him a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Snarky Puppy.
    Ne Oblivicaris.

Both are sublime/

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

ASP, it's pretty much all in German but it's pretty cool.

Dunno if she's still as obscure these day Emilie Autumn, 'punk victoriandustrial electric violinist' or something she used to describe herself as. The Opheliac album is the best one imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Silversun pickups. Wouldn't be too obscure but worth checking out their early Carnavas album. Three seeds is one of those songs that gives me skin orgasms. Carnavas is a bit raw but their following albums are decent too.

Yann Tiersen for something a bit different. He did the soundtrack for Amelie and Comptine d'un autre été, l'après-midi is another of my favourite tracks.

The Church from Australia. Lizard is a great tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just looking for some recommendations on more obscure or lesser know artists out there because sometimes they can be real gems. Over the last ten years my mates have told me about the likes of Townes Van Zandt, Nick Drake, Daniel Johntson etc (I'm aware that they're all far better known now) and I think they're all excellent, but other than having them recommended to me there's a good chance I still wouldn't know about them.

Now I'm not too picky when it comes to genres, my preferences would be rock, psychedelic, reggae, country, don't mind foreign music either etc etc try me with most things except heavy metal, not really a fan of that.

So any recommendations?

Try some Hawkwind, huge discography to rummage through...

Here is where I got my boards name from.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Frank Turner (he's obscure enough here, still)
    Beans On Toast
    Will Varley
    Billy The Kid
    The Wonder Years
    Smith Street Band
    Andrew Jackson Jihad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Fairport Convention. King Crimson and guitarist Robert Fripps solo stuff. Gong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'm listening to the war on drugs at the moment. Decent.
    Thievery corporation. Only heard revolution solution but it's a good tune, might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a young Irish guy going under the name Rainy Boy Sleep out there at the moment who I really rate.

here's a sample.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

So any recommendations?

Elliott Smith (singer/songwriter)
    The Tallest Man On Earth (sounds like Bob Dylan)
    Funkadelic (mix of funk and psychedelic rock as you might guess from the name)
    The Olivia Tremor Control (psychedelic pop)
    Roy Harper (folk)
    John Fahey (folk)
    Rodriguez (folk)
    Sun Kil Moon (singer/songwriter)
    Jim O'Rourke (singer/songwriter)
    Silver Apples (psychedelic/electronic)
    The Zombies (psychedelic/baroque)
    Gram Parsons (country)
    The Byrds (folk rock/psychedelic/country)
    The Millennium (psychedelic)
    Blossom Toes (psychedelic)
    The Pretty Things (psychedelic)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I just found The Unthanks. Lovely stuff indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

John Fahey

A white boy from Washington DC with a real love for old-time Delta Blues players like Charlie Patton & Mississippi John Hurt. His music's a fusion of everything from traditional folk ballads, blues, spirituals and eastern raga – but his stuff is unlike any other finger-style player you're likely to hear, layered, complex, melodic & dissonant all at once.

Bill Fay

Progressive folk is a term that'd tend to scare me off a bit & I'm not so sure that description does the music of Bill Fay any real justice. A Londoner who released two great albums in the very early 70's, Fay dropped off the map for years thereafter 'til folks started to hear just how great his back catalogue is.

"Up until 1998, when some people reissued my albums, as far as I was concerned, I was gone, deleted. No one was listening. But then I got the shock that people remembered my music. I was doing some gardening, and listening to some of my songs on cassette, and a part of me thought they were quite good. I thought, "Maybe somebody will hear them someday." That same evening, 14 years ago, I got a call from a music writer telling me that my two albums were being reissued. A shock is not gonna get much bigger than that, David [...] It was astonishing to me. I won't ever really be able to believe that it happened. That's how I feel about it. I had come to terms with the fact that I was deleted, but that I had always kept writing songs anyway and that was good enough.[

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Try (country-ish) Jason Isbell and Justin Townes Earle,
    For folk-americania,listen to The Lone Bellow,Avett Brothers and Mathew and the Atlas-also a new name Madison Ward and the Momma Bear!
    If you like The Unthanks,listen to The McGarrigle Sisters,Richard and Linda Thompson and some of the older stuff from Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span -- I still think Sandy Denny is the best I ever heard!

Advertisement