Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of a speed upgrade?

Options
  • 17-07-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

I'm currently getting 5.4mbs down (router says 6.14 mb max) Since its been connected it's been brilliant. No problems and speed is constant at 5.4 24 hours a day. I know my distance isn't ideal but if I was on an ADSL 2 connection it might offer a slightly higher speed. As even 1 or 2 more would be great considering that 5.4mb is what we have now. Could you check my line to see if it would be possible.  

Thanks 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How far away are you from the nearest VDSL box on the road? They looks like this; http://i.imgur.com/mop9tSg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

medoc wrote: »
    I'm currently getting 5.4mbs down (router says 6.14 mb max) Since its been connected it's been brilliant. No problems and speed is constant at 5.4 24 hours a day. I know my distance isn't ideal but if I was on an ADSL 2 connection it might offer a slightly higher speed. As even 1 or 2 more would be great considering that 5.4mb is what we have now. Could you check my line to see if it would be possible.  

Thanks 
    Hi medoc

Feel free to PM me your land line number and I'll check to see if an ADSL2+ can be arranged - it's a good question and certainly worth exploring.

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Cheers for the reply Al. PM sent there now.

Hi the_syco

Thanks but unfortunately that's not an option. I'm connected straight to the exchange and there's also efibre available. I'm just over 2km away so it wouldn't be an option anyway. The exchange is on the eircom FTTH list so fingers crossed for that. I'm happy with the speed I have now as its better than most in similar situations. But if ADSL 2+ was possible the little extra speed wouldn't go astray lol 

Hi the_syco

Thanks but unfortunately that's not an option. I'm connected straight to the exchange and there's also efibre available. I'm just over 2km away so it wouldn't be an option anyway. The exchange is on the eircom FTTH list so fingers crossed for that. I'm happy with the speed I have now as its better than most in similar situations. But if ADSL 2+ was possible the little extra speed wouldn't go astray lol 
    Thanks medoc

My findings would suggest that an ADSL2 upgrade is not available because of the distance of your line to the exchange - however I have escalated this to managers in our technical support team just to be sure. I should have an update before the end of the day.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Al

Fingers crossed lol. Would you be able to tell me how long my actual line is and what's the max distance eircom do ADSL2 up to. 

Thanks 

Thanks Al

Fingers crossed lol. Would you be able to tell me how long my actual line is and what's the max distance eircom do ADSL2 up to. 

Thanks 
    Hi medoc

I have not yet had an update, as soon as I do I will let you know. It will be no later than tomorrow morning.

AL

Hi Al

Did you get any information for me on the above? 

Thanks 

Hi Al

Was just wondering if you had any answers on the above yet

Thanks 

Hi Al

Was just wondering if you had any answers on the above yet

Thanks 
    Apologies for the delays medoc,

I will chase this up for a definitive answer today,

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

Any update on the same. I know the line checkers aren't gospel but it is showing my line is capable of 10mb. As you'll appreciate when yer talking about 5mb speeds currently  every little extra is important 

Thanks 

Hi medoc

Yes the line had recently been retested and the max speed it may be able to support is up to 10Mb - although this is purely indicative.

There's two options you now have:

1. Contact the sales team and request an upgrade to the "high" version of your package. You're currently on "broadband advanced unlimited low" and you would need to upgrade to "broadband advanced unlimited high"- which would optimize your speeds to what the line can hold.

2. Contact the technical support department and request them to increase your speeds to the maximum speed your line can hold (up to 8Mb).

Sales can be contacted on free phone 1800503303. Technical support can be contacted on Local 1890260260 - although both can be contacted easier via WebChat at www.eircom.net/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al

Many thanks for your help. It's great to hear that an increase might be possible. I understand that 10mb is a theoretical max and it won't be that high. But at this end of the scale any improvement in speed is great. I'll call sales now as WebChat aren't available at this time 

Hi Al

Many thanks for your help. It's great to hear that an increase might be possible. I understand that 10mb is a theoretical max and it won't be that high. But at this end of the scale any improvement in speed is great. I'll call sales now as WebChat aren't available at this time 
    I understand that completely medoc - I would have the same opinion :)

Al

Advertisement