Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord taking part of deposit for Irish Water

Options
  • 17-07-2015 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi everyone.
    Sorry if this was asked before but I've searched through the forum and can't really see the answer quickly.

I am moving out of an apartment next month and my landlord has emailed me to say that since I have not registered with Irish Water (and do not have any intention to before leaving) that they will be taking the amount of money owed to Irish Water from my security deposit.

As far as I have researched, I don't think this can be done legally? Perhaps I am very wrong but if anybody has specific information I would be hugely thankful.

Here is a link to an article on July 3rd which seems to state that the deposit can not be used by landlord's to pay for Irish Water bills:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/landlords-cant-use-deposits-for-water-bills-340525.html

Comments

Who were you expecting to pay your water bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You are required to pay Irish Water for the water you used from January to moving out date. Not registering does not remove that responsibility. You can't just skip out on it. The landlord holds a deposit in case of damage to property or outstanding bills. The Irish Water bill is outstanding and can be deducted from your deposit. By not registering you've increased your liability as you're not entitled to the credit in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Not the landlord, that's theft

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

lima wrote: »
    Not the landlord, that's theft

How so?

Deposits are there to cover damage beyond reasonable wear & tear as well as bills. Irish Water whether you like it or not, is issuing bills for water usage. The OP has used the service and a bill has been issued and thus not paid. It's being deducted from his deposit.

Why should the LL have to sort out the bill for IW because the tenant doesn't want to pay. If you think he should, you wouldn't mind paying my broadband bill for me would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The landlord is well within his rights to hold onto a portion of your deposit to cover any outstanding bills, this includes Irish Water.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

The landlord can only holdback what's owed nothing else...how is he calculating what's owed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I had to pay it too. My LL asked me in January if I had registered - so I went ahead and did it. I didn't want the landlord turning around to me saying they'd with-hold part of the deposit for not paying the bill - so I just paid it, as much as I disagreed with doing so...

The landlord can only holdback what owed nothing else...how is he calculating what's owed?

Easily, it's a flat rate this year.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

athtrasna wrote: »
    Easily, it's a flat rate this year.

So only pro-rata for half a year approx?

So only pro-rata for half a year approx?

Pro-rata for dates occupied. The flat rate is easy to divide right down to the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

What has a deposit to do with bills? IW wont chase the landlord, they will chase the tenant, the landlord is obliged to tell them the tenants name, not pay the bill for them.

From Ptrb .
    Tenants are entitled to a refund of the deposit paid at the commencement of the tenancy where there is no rent owing in respect of the tenancy and there is no damage to the dwelling beyond normal wear and tear at the end of the tenancy. Landlords are required to refund the deposit promptly less any deductions in respect of outstanding rent and damage in excess of normal wear and tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ugh. This sort of tenant is why I build all the bills into the rent, and pay them myself directly. Who'd be dealing with this sort of sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

A lot of standard leases (I obviously don't know if the OP's lease has the following) would include a clause that the tenant is obliged to pay all rates, utilities etc incurred during their occupation. Water is sometimes explicitly mentioned (even though it was pointless until recently), but regardless not paying is a breach of a term of the lease. Withholding of the amount owed from the deposit could be argued to be a reasonable approach by the LL to remedy the breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Satriale wrote: »
    What has a deposit to do with bills? IW wont chase the landlord, they will chase the tenant, the landlord is obliged to tell them the tenants name, not pay the bill for them.

From Ptrb .
    Tenants are entitled to a refund of the deposit paid at the commencement of the tenancy where there is no rent owing in respect of the tenancy and there is no damage to the dwelling beyond normal wear and tear at the end of the tenancy. Landlords are required to refund the deposit promptly less any deductions in respect of outstanding rent and damage in excess of normal wear and tear.

Also from ptrb

The payment of water charges will be further facilitated through regulatory measures to be brought before the Oireachtas, that do not require court proceedings. Pending establishment of the PRTB deposit protection scheme, these will include a requirement for landlords to retain a tenant deposit until the tenant provides evidence that water charges due have been paid. The landlord will merely hold the deposit until the tenant provides the requisite evidence of payment of water charges; the landlord will not be required to pay to Irish Water any outstanding water charges directly out of the deposit. Following establishment of the deposit protection scheme, tenants will have to demonstrate that water charges due have been paid before the deposit can be returned.

Also from ptrb

The payment of water charges will be further facilitated through regulatory measures to be brought before the Oireachtas, that do not require court proceedings. Pending establishment of the PRTB deposit protection scheme, these will include a requirement for landlords to retain a tenant deposit until the tenant provides evidence that water charges due have been paid. The landlord will merely hold the deposit until the tenant provides the requisite evidence of payment of water charges; the landlord will not be required to pay to Irish Water any outstanding water charges directly out of the deposit. Following establishment of the deposit protection scheme, tenants will have to demonstrate that water charges due have been paid before the deposit can be returned.

current rules? or future?

fluffo wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Sorry if this was asked before but I've searched through the forum and can't really see the answer quickly.

I am moving out of an apartment next month and my landlord has emailed me to say that since I have not registered with Irish Water (and do not have any intention to before leaving) that they will be taking the amount of money owed to Irish Water from my security deposit.

I hope you will be informing your next LL also of the fact you wont register and not be looking for a reference from your current LL.

Over time as people move out of rentals and into others I foresee a big increase in the number of people registering and paying the water charges as LL's simply wont rent their places to people who refuse. when people are faced with being out on the street or living in a hostel they will be more than happy to pay the water charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

. when people are faced with being out on the street or living in a hostel they will be more than happy to pay the water charge.

Then people dig there heels in and refuse to budge and keep paying there rents would make for interesting court cases .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fluffo

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick. I assumed Irish Water was a charge for a person and if you leave accommodation and move on elsewhere, the charge stays with you as a person to your next accommodation. I obviously don't want the landlord paying for my water usage if the usage was metered.

My new landlord has no problems about this so it's all good there. I'll just work out the rate that the current landlord must deduct from the deposit and let them fire away so they are not liable for charges themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Hi everyone.

As far as I have researched, I don't think this can be done legally? Perhaps I am very wrong but if anybody has specific information I would be hugely thankful.

Here is a link to an article on July 3rd which seems to state that the deposit can not be used by landlord's to pay for Irish Water bills:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/landlords-cant-use-deposits-for-water-bills-340525.html

He has no right to take money from you on behalf of anyone else. There is a facility for Landlords to pass the details of their tenants to Irish Water and release themselves from any liability. This is what he should do.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I obviously got the wrong end of the stick. I assumed Irish Water was a charge for a person and if you leave accommodation and move on elsewhere, the charge stays with you as a person to your next accommodation. I obviously don't want the landlord paying for my water usage if the usage was metered.

My new landlord has no problems about this so it's all good there. I'll just work out the rate that the current landlord must deduct from the deposit and let them fire away so they are not liable for charges themselves.

You're right- the bill stays with the person not the property. Landlords have the facility to pass a tenants details to Irish Water and release themselves from liability

• Advertisement

You're right- the bill stays with the person not the property. Landlords have the facility to pass a tenants details to Irish Water and release themselves from liability

Oh ok that would be better. Is this something as simple as the landlord sending on my details to Irish Water? Or is it optional for landlords and the other option for them is to take it from the deposit? Thanks

This is taken from the Irish Water website:

http://www.water.ie/customer-registration/landlords-and-tenants/

Owners of multiple properties, including Local Authorities, are now invited to confirm their property details with Irish Water. If the property is occupied, landlords can now provide names of their tenants. Irish Water will then engage directly with the occupants and provide them with an opportunity to confirm their details. This will ensure they receive the correct bill and may avail of the Government’s €100 Water Conservation Grant, details of which will be announced by Government later this year.

Completing this process ensures that landlords can avoid receiving a bill for services they are not using themselves. It will also ensure that the tenants are billed correctly and are eligible for the €100 Water Conservation Grant.

I’m a landlord and my tenant has not registered with Irish Water – what can I do to ensure the account is set up and liability for water services charges lies with my tenant?

As the landlord of the property, you can contact Irish Water and provide the name of your tenant. Irish Water will then write to your tenant to invite them to register. This will ensure that you are no longer liable for water services charges whilst the tenant continues to be the occupant of the property.

Sorry but the Landlord cannot steal money from the deposit to pay for Water charges.

https://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/im-a-landlord-and-my-tena/?category=billing-&-charges

"As the landlord of the property, you can contact Irish Water and provide the name of your tenant. Irish Water will then write to your tenant to invite them to register. This will ensure that you are no longer liable for water services charges whilst the tenant continues to be the occupant of the property."

Sorry but this infers that the landlord is liable unless they contact Irish Water with the name of the tenant.

To get rid of their liability, the landlord simply has to give the tenants name.

HOWEVER:

http://www.prtb.ie/tenants/helpful-info/irish-water-charges-q-a

It appears that soon the landlord WILL be able to withhold part of a deposit until the tenant provides the requisite evidence of payment of water charges.

As of right now, it would be deemed theft.

Oh ok that would be better. Is this something as simple as the landlord sending on my details to Irish Water? Or is it optional for landlords and the other option for them is to take it from the deposit? Thanks

Will you give me €100 for your last ESB bill and I promise I'll pass it on to the ESB? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The Landlord is within his rights to deduct this outstanding bill from your deposit. He isn't going to pay it for you. So weather you agree with the charge are not, if you are renting property it will come out of your deposit.

There is also no point in not paying the charge even if you buy a house. They will take it out of your wages, social welfare, or pension. You can't avoid it.
    Simples!

lima wrote: »

It appears that soon the landlord WILL be able to withhold part of a deposit until the tenant provides the requisite evidence of payment of water charges.

As of right now, it would be deemed theft.

Ok so it's all in a bit of a limbo right now. It's currently such a messed up system.. they really didn't think this one through.
    I guess i'll ring the landlord again and let them know they can pass the liability over to me and it's not their concern after that then. It's up to me to pay as Irish Water will then have my details.

By the way, and it's clear that there are many landlords on this thread, I am moving from my rental very soon so I recently called up Irish Water and registered. I never got an application pack in the post so I just ended up doing it myself. I bought an apt and am moving in soon so the account will just simply move to my new place. All done.

My landlord kindly let me use my deposit as last months rent so I want to ensure everything is paid up (and the place clean as a button) before I move out, due to his excellent land-lording over the time I've been there

The Landlord is within his rights to deduct this outstanding bill from your deposit. He isn't going to pay it for you. So weather you agree with the charge are not, if you are renting property it will come out of your deposit.

There is also no point in not paying the charge even if you buy a house. They will take it out of your wages, social welfare, or pension. You can't avoid it.
    Simples!

No, it depends on whether bills are stated on the lease.

He is not within his right.

Simples!

Simply not true.

• Advertisement

Simples!

Hollister, have you some proof for that? I can see anything in the current rules that allow for it and it would be interesting to know if it was true.

Advertisement