Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boerewors

Options
  • 17-07-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

We're having a bbq this weekend and I'd love to get some boerewors for my South African husband. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that stocks it?

I've been looking at the JaQals and Wolf website but the page where they list stockists is blank (v helpful). I don't have time to order online so want to be able to pop somewhere tomorrow.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keenan and Kennedy butchers were trialling them a few months ago in their Finglas Branch. Might be worth a phone call. 01-834 1576

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Woshy wrote: »
    We're having a bbq this weekend and I'd love to get some boerewors for my South African husband. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that stocks it?

I've been looking at the JaQals and Wolf website but the page where they list stockists is blank (v helpful). I don't have time to order online so want to be able to pop somewhere tomorrow.

BBQ is a flavor, your having a Braai, im sure your husband would say the same :p

Goin to cape town myself in 2 weeks for a month, cant wait to get fresh wors. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

BBQ is a flavor, your having a Braai, im sure your husband would say the same :p

Goin to cape town myself in 2 weeks for a month, cant wait to get fresh wors. ;)

Ha! He left SA a long time ago so I've only ever heard him call it a braai when we're actually in SA and he gets his accent back! enjoy your trip, have some Malva pudding for me. That's my favourite South African treat 😀

Will check out the place in Finglas, thanks! I rang Hicks in Dun Laoghaire. They make them to order - with a 3kg minimum order. So maybe we'll do that in the future and put some in the freezer.

The butcher in Finglas also make them to order but they had some in the freezer that we could have now. Somebody had ordered them and then cancelled so we can collect them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not really Dublin City, but there's also a butcher in the Leopardstown Shopping Centre on Ballyogan Rd. that does them. One of the staff is South African IIRC.

We actually ended up getting some in Greystones (we live in Bray). My husband tracked them down. He was very pleased :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Haynestown meats in Newbridge always have a supply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm late to this one, sorry. Higgin's family butchers in Sutton do lots of South African meats, sausages, dried meats and biltong. Not cheap, but if it's a treat for you're homesick hubby!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Woshy wrote: »
    We actually ended up getting some in Greystones (we live in Bray). My husband tracked them down. He was very pleased :)
    Where did you get them in Greystones by the way? I'm in Bray too.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm late to this one, sorry. Higgin's family butchers in Sutton do lots of South African meats, sausages, dried meats and biltong. Not cheap, but if it's a treat for you're homesick hubby!

He is a big fan of biltong - I'll let him know!

Alun - I'll check with my husband and report back. He went out to get them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Not Dublin, but they deliver to Dublin . Uncle Bok's Biltong & Boerewors

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Can I ask, how do you cook them without getting splashed with juice when you cut them ?

Alun - it was Flemings

Daisy - my husband says he cooks them without prodding them at all so they swell up, then when they're done he pokes them with a fork and lets the juices run onto the flames of the bbq. This makes the flames go up high from the fat and that gives the boerewors a nice finish.

Ah, I see! We did them in the oven. Didn't pierce them at all. Then when we tried to cut them up we had a problem! Couldn't figure out how it could be done!!

Just home. Had a great time!

Advertisement