Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abandoned dog

• 17-07-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi. Looking for advice. I was adopted by a young dog during the week. No collar. Chip etc. Wandering around on his own in a busy non residential area. I contacted the gardai and some lost and found groups. Someone got in touch claiming him. Stupidly I gave my address to call over yesterday. They never did and haven't responded to texts since. I hope to find him a good home and I'm ok with keeping him till I do but worried they may turn up at any stage now and take him. Are there any rules bout abandoned dogs and ownership? Anything I should do?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There are indeed laws regarding the finding of a dog... You're not going to like this :o
    You've abided by the law in terms of contacting the Garda (or dog warden).
    From that point, the owners have 366 days to claim their dog. During that time, either you or an agent for you can mind the dog. He'd become legally yours after the 366 days.
    The only legal way around that is to physically put the dog in the pound, hope he's not reclaimed, then adopt him after his 5 days are done in the pound. He is then legally yours regardless of what the current owners do. But it's not without risk.
    Did you get him scanned for a microchip? I'd want the supposed owner to be able to give me convincing evidence that he does, in fact, belong to them.

bleary wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for advice. I was adopted by a young dog during the week. No collar. Chip etc. Someone got in touch claiming him

Please be very thorough and only give the dog to this person if they can provide proper and convincing proof of ownership. Otherwise he could end up in dodgy hands and be used for anything from dog fighting to breeding.

Advertisement