Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB to End Free Banking in September

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I reckon you will have to do this manually - probably involve contacting utility providers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Even though banks do offer to switch DDs for you, I wouldn't recommend that. Once they've missed two and a bank changed 10 Euro for each missed DD plus a supplier charged me too. I'd simply change all manually. It's very easy for an organised person, can be slightly annoying for those who don't like paperwork.

Post edited by Citrus_8 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks, started doing them all manually today and managed most online or over the phone. At least can keep PTSB account open until mid Sept to see if it all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Thanks for all the advice here.

I am thinking of going revolut only.

Can I keep my old ptsb credit card, as in is that a separate account? Should I apply for physical revolut card instead and if so what are downsides? How do I avoid paying annual credit card fee twice?

What is main downside of revolut only account? I have a separate free joint account, will that be ok or impacted by this change?

While the cost per year is somewhat low, you can be sure fees will increase, and many people already moved bank before to this free account, so we are savvy and mover likely customer.

Any upside to going esb account? What are hidden/usage fees?

Thanks in advance all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think I might switch I am with sky already, I am guessing the 5% is automatically applied? Or do I need to flag it to PTSB? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Cashback on bills is automatic on your account as long as you pay a bill by Direct Debit with one of our Direct Debit partners. Whether you’re a new customer, or already have an account with our partners you can avail of this exclusive deal when you pay by Direct Debit from your Explore Account."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭daheff

100% agreed. there is a switcher service in place, but banks don't tend to care to do it right as you are an exiting customer. Quicker, easier and more efficient to do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭daheff

But Jim if one were to apply this laissez faire attitude to all bills, you'd end up spending a lot more in bills. Eventually providers would increase their charges beyond reason. So the hassle saves 70 eur directly and more indirectly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Buy one less coffee and you are in the same position with less hassle... Of course there are people who like to and/or need to carefully manage their finances, I'm not talking about those, I'm talking about the ones who will go thought all the hassle etc and then just blow it on a coffee or something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 waskaxo

Do you know if it's possible to convert one of the regular current accounts to an explorer one? I'd love to avoid the hassle of modifying all existing direct debits, utility bills, etc.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yep.

I got letter and contacted them but you need to do it in a branch they say it should take max 15 minutes you just need to bring ID and proof of address (the letter asking you to switch is sufficient).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

Not sure what you are intimating about emotions though let's not be reading into this, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ebs online banking is absolutely brutal. It's the most stone age of all the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Speaking of which, I see PTSB have rolled out a new app and online interface. It's looking quite slick IMO, easy to use too.

Advertisement