Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keyboard not woking on laptop.

• 17-07-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

I 'fixed' my sister's laptop (Fujitsu lifebook A series) the other day by removing all the bloatware, toobars etc and did a general clean to get it running in a state that allows them to surf etc.

I seem to have caused a weird side effect in doing this. The keyboard doesn't seem to be working properly. On boot, when it gets to the password screen you can see that some of the keys do not work. They can't put in their password. A reboot seems to solve it but she's just informed me that it happened for her again but it seemed to have fixed itself after a small amount of time.

Anyone got any idea why this has happened? How do I stop it from happening again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

What model laptop? What version of Windows OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Sorry. It a Fujitsu Lifebook A Series and it's Windows 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OK. Get into safe mode on it after power on:
    Keep on pressing f8 and a menu should appear. Choose Safe Mode on its own with the up and down arrows on keyboard and press return.
    Once you are actually in windows uninstall the crapware if you can again.

The crapware is gone. Don't really need to go into safemode since there's isn't any crapware on it anymore. Thought it might be the drivers being corrupt. What's the best way to repair/refresh them. Uninstall via device manager and then let the system reinstall a generic one?

It seems to be happening at random now. She's had the laptop on for about an hour or so, after the keyboard initially wasn't working on boot, which righted itself after a couple of minutes.
    The keyboard stopped working for a short time and has fixed itself. Some of the keys that aren't working when it happens are the W,E,R and Enter/Return keys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try an external keyboard.

If that has the same problem the it's probably software, otherwise hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Try an external keyboard.

If that has the same problem the it's probably software, otherwise hardware.

Most likely a driver (software) issue though. Any update, OP? My first try would be to uninstall the keyboard drivers in device manager and let windows auto reinstall them the next start up. If that doesn't work, download and install drivers from the manufacturers website

If that doesn't work and you have a spare hard disk, install Windows from scratch on that spare hard disk. If the issue is still the same, it most likely is a hardware issue. Replace the keyboard or use an external keyboard (but I bet the issue is resolved before you get to this stage :))

No real update on this. My sister hasn't come back to me so that either means two things.
    she's either realised that it's not that bog of a deal that might fix itself by just waiting it out a little, or she's given up on it and hasn't bothered to use the laptop anymore. Hope it's not the latter.

Seeing as I'm in the UK it's a little hard to try and troubleshoot it over here but I'll catch up with her and see if it's still doing it and do the troubleshooting you're suggesting.

If all else fails, she's got Windows 7 so I might just install Windows 10 shortly after release when I'm home.

Advertisement