Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein bars

Options
  • 17-07-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hey any opinions on protein bars? Are they any use or full of rubbish? Have they worked for anyone here? . I know they're no substitute for meat or at least the shakes but being a former chocolate addict they're helping to satisfy my sweet tooth. Also anybody know where they can be bought cheaply in bulk as they're pricey enough. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Depends on how they fit into the rest of your diet.

There's a thread on here somewhere on how to make some very tasty ones yourself. Takes very little time too. Otherwise they can be quite pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Quest bars are tasty enough and not packed full of sugar but they're expensive though, best deal I've found is http://www.proteinsdepot.ie/quest-nutrition-questbars-12x60g.html

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

I'm a big fan of the Nutrimino ones... As a current chocolate addict, they are the next best thing.. And not full of crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

Cheers for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    250ml coconut cream (not the same as coconut milk or creamed coconut, coconut cream is €1.29 for 160ml in tesco)
    150g whey powder

This makes 14 – 16 snickers size bars and they are very filling.

Method, combine the whey powder with the coconut cream and whisk until smooth, add peanut butter and whisk again, finally add porridge and mix well. Flatten mixture into a dish and refrigerate overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmG9A-enWA

**can substitute coconut milk for almond milk

Nutrition Facts (16 Servings)

Calories: 320 kcal

Protein: 15 g

Total Fat: 16 g
    Saturated Fat: 6 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g

Total Carbohydrate: 20 g
    Dietary Fibre: 4 g
    Sugars: 3 g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

Fair play that's great I'll try that recipe for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc

I prefer the look of this one... I'm gonna try them tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

guile4582 wrote: »
    400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    250ml coconut cream (not the same as coconut milk or creamed coconut, coconut cream is €1.29 for 160ml in tesco)
    150g whey powder

Method, combine the whey powder with the coconut cream and whisk until smooth, add peanut butter and whisk again, finally add porridge and mix well. Flatten mixture into a dish and refrigerate overnight.

i must try this.

sometimes im just so sick of eggs, chicken etc and not in the humour of cooking also. would be so handy to open the fridge and have a protein chocolate bar to snack on :D

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    150g whey powder

I used almond milk and didn't do it the way you described as I forgot about your instructions. Hopefully it turns out ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

MarkY91 wrote:
    I used almond milk and didn't do it the way you described as I forgot about your instructions. Hopefully it turns out ok though

Hahaha so you made something different pretty much...

• Advertisement

i use almond milk for these. works well.

a handy note is to freeze these. they defrost quickly enough. if you make 16 bars and refrigerate by the time you are on day/bar 10 they are pretty dried out.

i use almond milk for these. works well.

a handy note is to freeze these. they defrost quickly enough. if you make 16 bars and refrigerate by the time you are on day/bar 10 they are pretty dried out.

I'll try freezing next time. They came out fine. I felt so full after half a bar lol.

Anyone try any chocolate chips in them? Doubt there are healthy varients of them hahap

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'll try freezing next time. They came out fine. I felt so full after half a bar lol.

Anyone try any chocolate chips in them? Doubt there are healthy varients of them hahap

i'm doing a batch tonight with mini marshmallows

about 2 cals in a mini marshmallow i'd say

i'm doing a batch tonight with mini marshmallows

about 2 cals in a mini marshmallow i'd say

Nice idea. I'm sure the possibilties are endless. I'm glad I made them.

I used to make protein pancakes which were handy

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nice idea. I'm sure the possibilties are endless. I'm glad I made them.

I used to make protein pancakes which were handy

easy recipe?
    sure fire it out there

easy recipe?
    sure fire it out there

I bought the mix from my protein.com cos the oatmeal/whey protein mix was very fine. You just add milk and mix it with a whipper thing and fry.

I made a bollocks of my first few but then started getting perfect pancakes. Haven't made them in months so I can't really give a detailed method of making.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

400g uncooked oatmeal
    340g peanut butter
    150g whey powder

For a low carb alternative could I replace the porridge with more whey/casein? Or does the porridge keep it together?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For a low carb alternative could I replace the porridge with more whey/casein? Or does the porridge keep it together?

Porridge soaks up the rest and makes is solid. If you swap that for more whey you end up with a very thick coconut-peanut paste.

Mellor wrote: »
    Porridge soaks up the rest and makes is solid. If you swap that for more whey you end up with a very thick coconut-peanut paste.

Thought as much.
    Will do some experimenting!

anyone have an easy recipe for Protein Bites?

i see a pack can cost like 3 euro! be a good sub for the auld crisps

• Advertisement

Couldn't find coconut cream in the shop buy found creamed coconut. Is that the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Couldn't find coconut cream in the shop buy found creamed coconut. Is that the same?

Nah its different.
    Creamed coconut is the coconut flesh, ground up, and compressed into a block. It's has a waxy/creamy texture, its made up of the solids and fats of coconut.

Coconut cream (and milk) is the shredded flesh that has been boiler in water to release the oils and liquids. The used flesh is strained out.

If all you have is the creamed coconut, mix it with hot water (it might have ratios on the side of the pack) to get something similar to coconut cream for the bars. Bonus: It has extra fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sure you could replace the peanut butter with healthier nut butters or even some of the protein peanut butters from nuts'n more

Advertisement