Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Street Clutter - A Mess?

Options
  • 17-07-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that the level of street signage and clutter on the streets of Dublin is getting to a ridiculous stage?

I live and work around town and every day I walk around yet another traffic light, street sign, warning sign, cycle path sign, or random pole etc, seems to have been put up somewhere by the Council.

At this stage, I don't think there's a single lamp post or 5 metre stretch of road in the city centre that doesn't have some type of traffic sign or warning sign on it. And almost half the signs seem to end up pointing the wrong way anyway so they're often useless or difficult to read.

I wouldn't mind a few more well placed direction signs in the city centre but the traffic ones seem to have gone OTT.

I was walking to Cineworld on Parnell Street yesterday and saw the Council had placed 6 (yes, 6) cycle path signs, one after the other, on a 30-metre cycle lane (4 new sign poles and two signs stuck to lamp posts in between).

When Grafton Street was repaved they placed new traffic signs at the intersections to all the side streets, despite the fact it's a feckin' pedestrianised street! (I know there's a bit of commercial traffic in the mornings but I'm pretty sure all the drivers know which way they can and cannot go. I mean there was never traffic jams or chaos on the street in the mornings!)

Then the other day I saw that the Council had erected a huge electronic billboard right in that median "strip" in front of Trinity College (to tell people it's a 30 mph zone). Talk about ruining a nice view!

They did the same a few years ago in the median in front of BOI College Green (by the old underground toilets) so that when you walk up from Pearse Street, instead of getting a lovely side view of one of Dublin's finest buildings, you just see a huge electronic traffic warning sign. Tourists must get great pictures :rolleyes:

I know these signs are generally needed but they could be done so that it's in keeping with the city centre surroundings and not done excessively.

The irony of course is that the more signs and warnings the Council puts up, the less people actually notice them.

It's gotten ridiculous at this stage, no? What are other people's thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Stupid cafe signs and shop signs on the footpath are worse, every single shop and bar seems to have them just sitting there waiting for people to walk into them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Yeah we could do better alright. Not only Dublin but all of the Republic.

Signage not the country's strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,326 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We don't need all the signs, DCC are ridiculously slow are removing temporary signs that are no longer valid re roadworks and diversions... I've seen traffic lanes being closed off not for roadworks, but for signage about roadworks... Bonkers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement