Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get freeview TV in Ireland?

• 17-07-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I was in Tesco the other day and saw All For One amplified aerial for reception of free view..can someone explain how this works?. Or does this work at all? And can they be used in Ireland?, or how can you get the free view channels in Ireland (I live in Offaly), or can they be recieved at all?..thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

This is an indoor 'set top' type aerial?

Freeview is the UK terrestrial service, & you won't be getting it in Offaly with an indoor aerial. It might provide some kind of reception of Saorview, our own terrestrial service, but I wouldn't want to be relying on it, & I'd rather put the money towards a proper aerial installation if you want to invest in decent terrestrial reception at the location in question.

For free UK TV in Offaly, I'd get a satellite dish & receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Woodie40

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I was in Tesco the other day and saw All For One amplified aerial for reception of free view..can someone explain how this works?. Or does this work at all? And can they be used in Ireland?, or how can you get the free view channels in Ireland (I live in Offaly), or can they be recieved at all?..thanks

You'd be better of getting a satellite dish and a Free to Air or Freesat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FreeView is the UK equivalent of Saorview. Terrestrial tv using a conventional rooftop aerial. The OneforAll you saw in Tesco is aimed at the UK market. If you lived near the border or some parts of the east coast you may get FreeView with a large aerial. Amplified indoor aerials are a rip-off as they can only amplify whatever signal the actual aerial bit gets. Which means it also amplifies any local interference too. Saorview also recommend a rooftop aerial as indoor aerials only work in strong signal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 xxasdasdxx

Hi all, I don't know if I should create a separate thread for this question or not, but I recently want to purchase a TV with freeview hd tuner. Just wondering if this will get me free channels, I live in the city centre. Not sure if the built in digital tuner is enough or i should buy an indoor antenna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

xxasdasdxx wrote: »
    Just wondering if this will get me free channels, I live in the city centre. Not sure if the built in digital tuner is enough or i should buy an indoor antenna?

An aerial is always required for terrestrial reception with a TV but Freeview reception with an indoor aerial in Dublin city centre will be impossible, maybe with a roof mounted aerial pointing to NI it might be possible. Saorview reception might be possible with an indoor aerial though at your location, difficult to know without testing.

Best to go with a satellite dish and receiver for the UK channels, Freesat etc.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    An aerial is always required for terrestrial reception with a TV but Freeview reception with an indoor aerial in Dublin city centre will be impossible, maybe with a roof mounted aerial pointing to NI it might be possible. Saorview reception might be possible with an indoor aerial though at your location, difficult to know without testing.

I live in an apartment building so I don't know about getting satellite dish. Might hold off getting a tv for now. Thanks for the info though!

The Cush wrote: »

I live in an apartment building so I don't know about getting satellite dish. Might hold off getting a tv for now. Thanks for the info though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You could try a cheapo indoor aerial from a Euro shop and see. No great loss if it doesn't work. Don't waste money on fancy "boosted indoor aerials" they are a con. The problem with indoor aerials is they may work in one room but not another. If you are on the south side of the building will help as the signal comes from 3Rock mountain. If on the north side of building, forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi all, I don't know if I should create a separate thread for this question or not, but I recently want to purchase a TV with freeview hd tuner. Just wondering if this will get me free channels, I live in the city centre. Not sure if the built in digital tuner is enough or i should buy an indoor antenna?

Just in case you're mixing up 'free channels' with 'Freeview'....

In most parts of the Republic you can get 'free channels' off the Irish terrestrial signal called Saorview using (in favourable conditions) an indoor aerial or (virtually everywhere) a rooftop aerial. With some minor limitations, a TV from the UK which is advertised as 'Freeview HD' is capable of decoding the Saorview signal, it does not mean that it can receive Freeview, that depends on where you live and the aerial.

If you want the terrestrial UK channels bundled as 'Freeview', you need to be able to pick up the UHF signal from a UK transmitter which means that you need to live close to the border or be in certain parts of the east coast and have a good aerial with no obstructions like mountains between you and the transmitter.

Saorview and Freeview need an aerial, Freesat and Sky need a dish.

coylemj wrote: »
    Just in case you're mixing up 'free channels' with 'Freeview'....

In most parts of the Republic you can get 'free channels' off the Irish terrestrial signal called Saorview using (in favourable conditions) an indoor aerial or (virtually everywhere) a rooftop aerial. With some minor limitations, a TV from the UK which is advertised as 'Freeview HD' is capable of decoding the Saorview signal, it does not mean that it can receive Freeview, that depends on where you live and the aerial.

If you want the terrestrial UK channels bundled as 'Freeview', you need to be able to pick up the UHF signal from a UK transmitter which means that you need to live close to the border or be in certain parts of the east coast and have a good aerial with no obstructions like mountains between you and the transmitter.

Saorview and Freeview need an aerial, Freesat and Sky need a dish.

I literallly live in the city centre. If I buy this LG smart tv with freeview HD digital tuner, would I get channels from Saorview? If It does, then I will buy a tv. Just worried that It won't get any free channels and I have to resort to Sky/Virgin media monthly subscription..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

If the TV has a freeview digital tuner, i would be under the impression it is a uk TV and designed to pick up the uk FREEVIEW service as coylemj described above, a saorview tv should have a saorview tuner, check the model number of the tv against the saorview list here, https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I literallly live in the city centre. If I buy this LG smart tv with freeview HD digital tuner, would I get channels from Saorview? If It does, then I will buy a tv. Just worried that It won't get any free channels and I have to resort to Sky/Virgin media monthly subscription..

Any current LG TV should work with Saorview but, you need an aerial of some kind, as mentioned already, & there's no guarantee that a set-top type will work, no matter where you're located.

Saorview is only a handful of channels anyway, although it's likely that TV would also have an integrated satellite tuner for UK channels, but of course that would need a connection to a dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Shane_ef wrote: »
    If the TV has a freeview digital tuner, i would be under the impression it is a uk TV and designed to pick up the uk FREEVIEW service as coylemj described above, a saorview tv should have a saorview tuner, check the model number of the tv against the saorview list here, https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products

As I understand it the TV has a Internal Freeview HD tuner (see post 11) so it almost certainly will pick up Saorview. Here in NI AFAIK all Freeview HD TVs can pick up Saorview if correct aerial is installed.

Advertisement