Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V8

Options
  • 18-07-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

How many people on here are using or will use the v8 this year is all the hype true how good are they ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

How many people on here are using or will use the v8 this year is all the hype true how good are they ???

I'm not as I don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

He here lads raven about them alright I know of two lads with them so we will see how it goes. Haven said that there not gonna say there **** after spending that sort of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

rsole1 wrote: »
    I'm not as I don't know what it is.

ive got one..great job but would have saved some money buying a good second hand jeep:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A lad on the range has bought two of these and had his .270 over with one on it.

The glass, as you'd expect is crystal clear. The turrets are interesting in that he showed me how he can change them out for the different bullets he is using (within the same caliber) and it actually works. I normally don't go in for those type of things as any ballistic turret system is usually set on one load/round out of a given length gun, in set conditions. In terms of weight, light transmission, etc. it beats Swarovski Z6i in those aspects but not Kahles K624i (both of which are in the same price bracket). However the Kahles does not have the same interchangeable turret system.

All in all a good scope but the price, as usual, would put me off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

Thank you very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

lakesider wrote: »
    ive got one..great job but would have saved some money buying a good second hand jeep:D

More into the old 4 speed straight 4 cylinder land cruisers myself

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭725b

There is a new V8 Victory coming out from August I believe its 4.8-35x60 I just find them far to wide while mounted on a rifle otherwise its a Zeiss top end glass & features.Personally prefer the Z6i much more elegant & glass as good with warmer colours in site picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Cass wrote: »
    A lad on the range has bought two of these and had his .270 over with one on it.

The glass, as you'd expect is crystal clear. The turrets are interesting in that he showed me how he can change them out for the different bullets he is using (within the same caliber) and it actually works. I normally don't go in for those type of things as any ballistic turret system is usually set on one load/round out of a given length gun, in set conditions. In terms of weight, light transmission, etc. it beats Swarovski Z6i in those aspects but not Kahles K624i (both of which are in the same price bracket). However the Kahles does not have the same interchangeable turret system.

All in all a good scope but the price, as usual, would put me off.

Out of curiosity, Which model V8 was lighter than the comparable Swarovski Z6i? Always would have seen the Swarovski as a lighter option to the V8.

amadablam wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, Which model V8 was lighter than the comparable Swarovski Z6i? Always would have seen the Swarovski as a lighter option to the V8.

Sorry, you're spot on.

The Swarovski is lighter, it was the Kahles that was the heaviest. Interestingly the Swarovski has the poorest light tranmission at 90%. The other two have 92% (Zeiss) & 95% (Kahles).

I was onto another mate of mine about this very topic the day before this thread started and we were discussing the above scopes as well as the Nightforce Atacr (among others). I was working from memory, but got the Swarovski and V8 mixed in terms of which was lightest.

Just checked the "stats" and the Swarovski comes in as the lightest, but thats about it. Other than being the dearest of course. He too (my mate) was looking into such a high end scope and was trying to narrow down the choices and had it narrowed to:
    • Swarovski Z6i
    • Kahles K624i
    • Zeiss Victory V8

He was keen on the Kahles and is now convinced it's the better buy.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry, you're spot on.

The Swarovski is lighter, it was the Kahles that was the heaviest. Interestingly the Swarovski has the poorest light tranmission at 90%. The other two have 92% (Zeiss) & 95% (Kahles).

I was onto another mate of mine about this very topic the day before this thread started and we were discussing the above scopes as well as the Nightforce Atacr (among others). I was working from memory, but got the Swarovski and V8 mixed in terms of which was lightest.

Just checked the "stats" and the Swarovski comes in as the lightest, but thats about it. Other than being the dearest of course. He too (my mate) was looking into such a high end scope and was trying to narrow down the choices and had it narrowed to:
    • Swarovski Z6i
    • Kahles K624i
    • Zeiss Victory V8

He was keen on the Kahles and is now convinced it's the better buy.

Is hard to know if the light transmissions quoted by the manufacturers actually transfer to discernible differences to the human eye or of individual optical preference would be the deciding factor outside of a lab/test environment.

Haven't looked through the kahles but the other two i have. The Kahles is a fantastic looking scope but so hard to come across to actually do a comparison but I did speak to a guy that was part of the team to design the AMR reticle for the 624i and he said :

"Kahles is the tactical side of Swarovski and uses Swarovski glass but to be honest it must be coated differently as I think Swarovski is a tiny fraction better"

Wouldn't the choices be so much easier if we could all look through them side by side and just pick what works best for our personal vision.

• Advertisement

I've often said that the light transmission issue between the higher end scopes is a fruitless/pointless debate as the human eye is not sensitive enough to discern the minute difference or any perceived difference between them. Not really. Some will say one is better than the other but it's usually a case of personal preference. The same reason someone driving a Volvo will say it's better than a Toyota and vice versa.

I have looked through the Kahles and was hugely impressed. More so than with most other scopes i've looked through, which would include a Swarovski or two. Again that is my opinion, not fact. Kahles say their scopes give 95%, Swarovski 90%, and Zeiss 92%. All we can do is go off what they claim. Swarovski could claim 96% as the majority of punters would take them at their word. Only if the scopes were actually tested would we know if they were exaggerating. So if they claim 90% i'd say it's 90%. Same with Zeiss and Kahles. Why risk embarrassment and being "outed" as exaggerating by claiming the scope can do far better than it actually can.

As for the guy from Kahles. Wonder if his boss knows what he thinks and is saying. :D

Just done some checking and the story goes:
    Swarovski bought out Kahles because of the history/pedigree of Kahles and because there was no heir to the Kahles company. Kahles are the oldest rifle scope manufacturers in the world. Producing scopes for over 60 years before Swarovski even started. Kahles still produce all the parts for their scopes at their own plant in Austria. They are responsible for some of the best advances in scope manufacturing throughout the last 100 years.

My point is Kahles are a formidable scope company in their own right, and to for any employee to say that they reply on the likes of Swarovski or any other manufacturer to "help" them seems counter intuitive.

However all this is academic as i won't be buying either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cass, I think you're spot on with your light transmission comments. A bit of dust from a stalk on one will negate the difference with the other with clean lenses..... .Quality glass is what it is and minor differences only verifiable in lab conditions do not matter that much. Why does one like a Browning and the other a Beretta ?

Advertisement