Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tea.
    Nice and strong with a splash of milk, no sugar.
    Tastes gorgeous in the morning if you've a bit of a thirst. Perfect with your ham sambo at lunch and always soothes when you're ill or upset.
    It's just the ideal drink and I couldn't give it up.
    You can keep your coffees and herbal teas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Love. I'm addicted to love.

And LSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Possibly exercise. I get tetchy if I don't exercise for more than a couple of days. Is that the same thing?

Me too. Addicted to the endorphin rush I get from running and cycling and the elevated serotonin levels in my brain that means I can stay off anti-depressants, so it's a good addiction for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

blinding wrote: »
    Seriously it was Lemonade:D.

It goes to show how addictive Sugar is. Be careful with that Sugar.

Cocaine lemonade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Spent most of me life addicted to some drug or other, been clean now for about 7 months maybe a year, but fúk me them Benzo's are hard to kick

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Food, alcohol, diet coke, sex and the internet.

Sex and DIY. The actual DIY - not some kind of innuendo DIY :)

If I go more than a couple of days without engaging in either of those things I get antsy and depressed and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Weed......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Not 1 mention of gambling yet. Odd.

Its the invisible addiction i guess now with the annonymity of it through technology. Pretty serious one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A lot of decidedly vanilla imagined addictions going on in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

whiskey and weed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

A lot of decidedly vanilla imagined addictions going on in here

That reminds me. If I don't have a Baskin Robbins at least twice a week, I get the shakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Tea. I drink way way way too much of it. It's not a caffeine thing though, because coffee wouldn't give me the same fix but decaf tea would.

Possibly exercise. I get tetchy if I don't exercise for more than a couple of days. Is that the same thing?

I think keep drinking the tea. It's a great way to keep you hydrated. I drank copious amounts of tea for years and somehow switched to instant coffee. The coffee didn't have same effect on me at all in fact I felt wired and dehydrated all the time and it just wasn't the same as tea. Forcing myself back on the tea again and I can feel myself coming back to normal. I will never worry about drinking too much tea ever again.

I also think it's totally normal to feel tetchy after not working out for a couple of days. That's not withdrawal symptoms - that's just normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Smoking.

Procrastination and self-sabotage. :(

I don't think I'm addicted to any material substance, though I'm not too blessed with willpower either. It might sound strange but the food I've always been most likely to hopelessly over-indulge on is breakfast cereal; I can't have one bowl of Coco Pops or Corn Flakes without it turning into two bowls, three bowls, six bowls....aaand it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

tom waits and weed

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexicanfan

nail biting is the hardest to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Solitare, that worldofsoitare site is like some form of super crack cocaine of solitaire. I hate playing but I have to play until I win a game and have to pick the games where winning is unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Weed & Whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Boards & the internet in general.

Everything else, take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Caffeine addiction is definitely a thing, I find it harder to feel 'awake' without it. Its not a major addiction, it's like sugar. You can stop consuming it easily enough but expect to feel antsy for a few days afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I totes can't function without my mocha choca frappuccino or pumpkin vanilla skinny latte

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others.

The word is thrown around a lot these days. I don't believe I'm addicted to anything going by the above. I can't imagine anyone drinking coffee everyday is either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How many of the things listed would folk steal money off their mother to fund?

The word is thrown around a lot these days. I don't believe I'm addicted to anything going by the above. I can't imagine anyone drinking coffee everyday is either.

Caffeine does cause mild physical dependence. Though I'd imagine you'd have to be drinking 5+ cups of coffee a day to affect you negatively. (And I'd hardly count a frappucino as a 'coffee')

You don't have to have huge physical withdrawal for something to be an addiction. Cocaine for example, has no physical withdrawal symptoms yet is still considered highly addictive. Sugar causes withdrawal symptoms and isn't considered addictive in the same manner.

jjC123 wrote: »
    Caffeine does cause mild physical dependence. Though I'd imagine you'd have to be drinking 5+ cups of coffee a day to affect you negatively. (And I'd hardly count a frappucino as a 'coffee')

"Mild physical dependence" does not mean you have an addiction. I don't know why people feel the need to devalue the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"Mild physical dependence" does not mean you have an addiction. I don't know why people feel the need to devalue the word.
    Coffee can cause withdrawal. Most people don't go through them though because they never stop drinking coffee. It's a mild addiction but it's there.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Coffee can cause withdrawal. Most people don't go through them though because they never stop drinking coffee. It's a mild addiction but it's there.

I never said it didn't cause withdrawal. But withdrawal and addiction are different things.

Mild withdrawals from coffee do not cause the below IMO, which was my point.
    Addiction is a condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health. Users may not be aware that their behavior is out of control and causing problems for themselves and others.

But addiction doesn't have to mean the drugs/alcohol/cigarettes trifecta.
    You can be dependent on just about anything if you're weird enough (hoarders?)

I'm by no means saying that the 'ermehgerd I just need my morning latte' crowd are addicts but you don't have to be robbing old ladies to feed your habit to be addicted to something either. There are vastly different types of addiction and degrees of addiction.

• Advertisement

But addiction doesn't have to mean the drugs/alcohol/cigarettes trifecta.
    You can be dependent on just about anything if you're weird enough (hoarders?)

I'm by no means saying that the 'ermehgerd I just need my morning latte' crowd are addicts but you don't have to be robbing old ladies to feed your habit to be addicted to something either. There are vastly different types of addiction and degrees of addiction.

"Addiction" to me is an activity done regularly (substance abuse, hoarding etc etc.) that interferes in somebody's life in a seriously negative way. Most definitions online are the same.

By your definition I guess coffee could be considered addictive.

"Addiction" to me is an activity done regularly (substance abuse, hoarding etc etc.) that interferes in somebody's life in a seriously negative way. Most definitions online are the same.

By your definition I guess coffee could be considered addictive.

Just for the sake of argument, if you pop an aspirin each morning and have have a glass of Jameson each evening, neither will have a serious negative impact (assuming you're healthy).

But if you feel you simply can't get through the day without doing each of these things, aren't you addicted? Even if it's not making you physically ill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

sugar and ****

Just for the sake of argument, if you pop an aspirin each morning and have have a glass of Jameson each evening, neither will have a serious negative impact (assuming you're healthy).

But if you feel you simply can't get through the day without doing each of these things, aren't you addicted? Even if it's not making you physically ill?

The behavior itself could have a serious negative impact. If the person feels that they need the glass of Jemmy then what happens when they aren't able to get it? I'm sure that it would lead to avoiding various situations. Their life, to a degree, would have to work around that. It would be an addiction IMO.

The behavior itself could have a serious negative impact. If the person feels that they need the glass of Jemmy then what happens when they aren't able to get it? I'm sure that it would lead to avoiding various situations. Their life, to a degree, would have to work around that. It would be an addiction IMO.

Then if you replace Jameson with coffee or red bull, do you not have addiction as well?

Then if you replace Jameson with coffee or red bull, do you not have addiction as well?

Yes, if it had that effect on them. But how many people need, as in actually need, a coffee or a red bull to the point where it would cause them to avoid situations where it was not available?

I don't know anyone who fits that criteria at all. Maybe there are some rare cases, but the average daily coffee drinker? Not in my opinion.

sugar and ****

You'll come to a sticky end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Procrastination and self-sabotage. :(

I don't think I'm addicted to any material substance, though I'm not too blessed with willpower either. It might sound strange but the food I've always been most likely to hopelessly over-indulge on is breakfast cereal; I can't have one bowl of Coco Pops or Corn Flakes without it turning into two bowls, three bowls, six bowls....aaand it's gone.

You're like my twin.

I have been procrastinating all summer on my thesis for my masters. Vicious routine to get into - procrastinate, feel guilty, sabotage myself. Doing the masters on a scholarship though so really can't afford to fcuk this up!!

All self-control goes out the window if there's a box of cornflakes in the press and a carton of lovely cold milk in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JJJayne

I am addicted to sugar and all things made of sugar .i recently discovered this is very very bad for me .I didnt realise i was addicted until i tried to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 JJJayne

I am addicted to sugar and all things made of sugar .i recently discovered this is very very bad for me .I didnt realise i was addicted until i tried to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Addiction is an extreme word, but in secondary school I was convinced I was addicted to tic tacs. Four or five boxes of them a day for a few years. It was the sugar, the taste and the stress relieving satisfaction of crunching a load of them with your teeth. Then one lent I said I'd give them up and after a few days of hell it was clean sailing. It must be at least 5 years on and haven't bought a pack since. However it did lead to a need for green extra chewing gum. A slightly healthier and cheaper addiction :rolleyes:

On the topic if exercise, I totally get it. I'm weird in a way I am only happy with a workout or a run or whatever if I have to really punish my body to get through the pain. It's a weird feeling but I love it. I can never just go for a leisurely run or cycle...I have to be sweating buckets and on the verge of collapsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I'm "addicted" to a very well known MMORPG. I play everyday. If I've a day off and have nothing on, I'll play all day and most of the night. I was on holidays the last two weeks and returned from being abroad last Tuesday. Spent about 10/11 hours each day since on the computer playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Used to be addicted to nicotine before I gave up the cigarettes about 4 years ago.

I'm pretty addicted to sports in particular MMA. You know it's bad when you make time to watch people get weighed the night before. I mean, watching people get weighed...

I have a problem. ;)

Also addicted to supporting rubbish football teams. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Sweets. The only thing I'd have cravings for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

also an addictive personality, with good all withdrawal stages ...(not planning to mention more about that).
    -but posting on this thread as I just found out about crypto addiction - sounds contemporary enough.
    https://futurism.com/rehab-clinic-treatment-cryptocurrency-addiction/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wexicanfan wrote: »
    nail biting is the hardest to stop

That will change/stop when you get old and toothless,I promise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Training. If I can't train for more than about two days I feel really down in the dumps. Doesn't matter what the training is I have to get that high which only training gives me.

But primarily its Judo, running, cycling, Kettlebells and TRX.

Outside of that, reading. I need to know I've a book waiting for me when I'm finished my current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

GIVE ME ALL THE CAFFEINE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 pwisp

Coke Zero. Better than normal coke I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It's been three years. Most of the posters in this thread are probably dead now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement