Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cot bumper

• 18-07-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

my 7 month old is rolling mad now and on the verge of crawling! we had a cot bumper in but took it out as she was sleeping on her side right up against the side sometimes. now she sometimes sleeps on her belly but she seems to be able to move her head if needs be which is a big relief. we're just thinking now should we put the bumper up again as i can see her rolling her head into the side of the cotbed?? is it safe now that she has good head control and can roll back and forth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I don't think cot bumpers are recommended at all. I had one on my son's cot but it was like a mesh breathable fabric that isn't a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We never used them due to the risk of getting entangled in it.
    To stop junior banging his head on the top of the cot I stuck a pillow down between the mattress and cot head. it just stuck a couple of inches above the mattress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cot bumpers can be dangerous for a few reasons...
    Strings to tie them on, baby can get wrapped up in the strings, or get the bumper off the cot and be strangled or suffocated.
    Air flow restriction was a worry for cot death.
    They can use them to climb up and tumble out of the cot.

So, with ALL those risks in mind, we used this kind of one.. because we had a baby who was literally flaking her head off the cot and I was getting worried from all the bumps and bruises.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Jolly-day-out-Grobag-cotbed-bumper-/121676450096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c547b4930

It doesn't have strings, it has wide velcro on the back. It goes under the mattress, so they can't get it's out. It is only on one half of the cot, so no airflow restriction. And it collapses if they step on it.

It's the grobag bumper. Tony Kealy's stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We have the airwrap bumper which is made of mesh. It's not great for cushioning but ít stops him sticking his legs and arms out and getting them caught as he had been doing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airwrap-Mesh-4-Sides-White/dp/B005SUR1JA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437506355&sr=8-1&keywords=airwrap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I second the Airwrap. We had a cream one, they just look like a mesh so aren't decorative or nice to look at but very functional and remove most of the risk associated with a traditional bumper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement