Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery iphone4

• 18-07-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hello there.

I own an i phone 4 which I received for free 12 months ago when I signed a 24 month contract with Vodafone. I'm therefore half through what seems to be an unbreakable contract and not due an upgrade.

The problem at the moment is that the battery is gone very weak, only lasting 10 mins before it needs to be recharged which is annoying at the least and dangerous for me at the worst.
    This is a problem for about 6 weeks.

There is also a large crack on the back of the phone from 6 months ago, not related and did not cause the current battery problems.

I called into Vodafone and they said that Apple would not be responsible for repairing it as there is a large crack.... That's part of the warranty, if there is visible damage then no free repair is allowed, no matter what the issue. . They offered me to have the phone repaired for 280 euro or else new iphone for 380. My budget is 150 tops.

Could I please ask for some advice here? Is it worth my while to pop in to the Apple Store in Dublin and try and buy a new battery? Is there anywhere I can buy a cheap new iphone? It is inadvisable to buy a second hand phone? If it's not an apple phone then will I have difficulty transferring my personal data over?
    I'm not really too concerned about having a state of the art camera etc..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

There's no Apple Store in Dublin, but there are plenty of places that'll repair the back screen and put a new battery in it for you without having to go to Apple. Not sure which ones are best though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The iPhone 4 battery and back are very easy to replace. You can pick up both on eBay. However, if you don't fancy doing that and your budget is 150 why not sell your old phone on adverts for about 40-50 euros and pick up a very decent 4s for around 200 there too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

The back of the phone is just a cover and easily replaced and so is the battery. Any half decent phone shop will replace those for €30-40 (as the parts will cost <€20). I recommend e-tech in dundrum or syncron in blanchardstown.
    There are a few Vodafone reps here on boards and if you send them a nice PM with your problem they may be able to get you an early upgrade, but that depends on a few conditions (like time left on contract, how long with them, pay bills on time etc). You can always try, I've gotten an early upgrade more than once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

flyguy wrote: »
    The back of the phone is just a cover and easily replaced and so is the battery. Any half decent phone shop will replace those for €30-40 (as the parts will cost <€20). I recommend e-tech in dundrum or syncron in blanchardstown.
    There are a few Vodafone reps here on boards and if you send them a nice PM with your problem they may be able to get you an early upgrade, but that depends on a few conditions (like time left on contract, how long with them, pay bills on time etc). You can always try, I've gotten an early upgrade more than once...

Thanks! Do you know what the username of the reps are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

You'll find them all here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Thanks to all of you got your help. Vodafone were about as helpful as a fart. Found a polish man in a phone tech shop who put in a new battery and now my phone is singing again. I might marry him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Wesser wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you got your help. Vodafone were about as helpful as a fart. Found a polish man in a phone tech shop who put in a new battery and now my phone is singing again. I might marry him.

I think he'd probably be ok with a few quid, to save you the bother of marriage.

Advertisement