Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Airbnb queries & info **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are seriously considering taking our summer holiday in France in 2016 and for part of the trip we want to spend 1 week in an Airbnb on the west coast.

We have done Airbnb in France once before and had a great experience but this time I am finding the search for a place a little more difficult. So looking for advice from people who have used Airbnb and particularly in France please.

- Sheets and Towels. Most places seem to say that Sheets and Towels are not included and suggest either bringing your own or hiring some. We do not wish to bring our own and also want to follow Airbnb's rules of not having cash transactions outside of Airbnb. Looking for anyone else's experiences of this.

- Security Deposits. We have used Airbnb several times and all the Hosts have followed Airbnb's rules on this. However, while looking now several of the Hosts have included in their descriptions of their property that they will be asking for a Security Deposit (presumably in cash) usually several hundred on check-in to the property. It is against Airbnb rules to do this. Has anyone experience of this ?

- Rental Price. When the Airbnb price comes up on the right-hand side of the screen it shows one price (meant to be the price you pay including everything) but then in the description the Hosts have a totally different price listed (higher).

The one airbnb property we did rent in France was very straightforward with no issues on sheets/towels or prices / security deposits but in the area we are now looking these issues are occurring in several of the properties.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

A few tips from my own experience,

I have used Airbnb in France twice (and a few in other countries) and only booked places that included towels and bedding. I have never seen a "sheets and towels not included" statement but if that is critical to you I would avoid those properties.

Security deposit is always held by Airbnb and paid out if necessary from what I understand. You can probably report any listing that says they will ask you for cash upon arrival which I also believe is against policy.

Booking for Summer 2016 so far in advance seems like a risk in my opinion. Many properties may not be listing their availability until early next year because maybe they don't know if they'll be renting them out or not. Or there is the risk that you'll book something and a few months before your arrival they cancel because it isn't available after all. I always look at the reviews to see if they have cancelled in the past. Now if the property is a full-time holiday let (no one actually lives there) the risk is probably less. If that is the case you can always try to book direct if they have their own website and avoid the Airbnb service fees, but of course you lose some protections.

Make sure you enter the accurate dates to check availability and total price including any service or cleaning fees since owners can set different rates for different times of the year. So the nightly or weekly rate may be less than the actual rate that is displayed once you enter your dates. That should be all what you pay since Airbnb handles all that. You can always send a message to the owner to ask if there is a discrepancy because maybe it was by accident.

ScottSF wrote: »
    A few tips from my own experience,

I have used Airbnb in France twice (and a few in other countries) and only booked places that included towels and bedding. I have never seen a "sheets and towels not included" statement but if that is critical to you I would avoid those properties.

Security deposit is always held by Airbnb and paid out if necessary from what I understand. You can probably report any listing that says they will ask you for cash upon arrival which I also believe is against policy.

Booking for Summer 2016 so far in advance seems like a risk in my opinion. Many properties may not be listing their availability until early next year because maybe they don't know if they'll be renting them out or not. Or there is the risk that you'll book something and a few months before your arrival they cancel because it isn't available after all. I always look at the reviews to see if they have cancelled in the past. Now if the property is a full-time holiday let (no one actually lives there) the risk is probably less. If that is the case you can always try to book direct if they have their own website and avoid the Airbnb service fees, but of course you lose some protections.

Make sure you enter the accurate dates to check availability and total price including any service or cleaning fees since owners can set different rates for different times of the year. So the nightly or weekly rate may be less than the actual rate that is displayed once you enter your dates. That should be all what you pay since Airbnb handles all that. You can always send a message to the owner to ask if there is a discrepancy because maybe it was by accident.

Thanks for your reply - I had been thinking along those lines but it is good to get confirmation from someone else.

I am reading a lot of "le linge de maison n'est pas fourni" and "pas de draps /serviettes" and also "Une caution vous sera demandée à votre arrivée". I did not find this when we used Airbnb in France earlier this year.

I am not really looking to actually book right now but rather wanted to compile a kind of Top 5 list and also wanted to tie down the area we would like to stay.

Had put in the exact dates and then started noticing that some of the properties had different prices in the description per week for High Season that was coming up when I entered my high season dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Yes, what ScottSF said.

I've stayed at several Airbnb places in France, maybe six or seven. Each time towels and bedding have been included (though usually there's a fixed cleaning charge to cover their laundry costs etc. which is fair enough).

Often they ask for a security deposit, but this is handled by Airbnb who would debit your card afterwards if damage is reported. I've never yet had my card debited for the security deposit.

ScottSF wrote: »

When would be the best time to book the Airbnb for July 2016 ? Last year I booked in December 2014 for a house in Greece in July of 2015 and we actually missed out on our first choice which was already booked at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Like I mentioned, from my own experience it depends on whether you want to book a holiday let or rent someone's own home. Airbnb started out as a site to rent out a couch, room, or your home/apt. However it now has tons of listings for holiday lets that you can also find on sites such as HomeAway and HolidayLettings for example. If you are booking a holiday home that is a full-time holiday home, it is just like a hotel in many ways. You can book in advance if you wish to make sure you get what you want. However if you want to rent the home of someone who lets it when they are away (like you might do), that is a different situation. Some people may not mark their own homes as available to rent on Airbnb until they are sure they'll be taking holidays, while others may list them well in advance and see who requests a booking and when. I wish there was an easy answer.

I imagine it is also very different (and more competitive) when you are booking a home during the busy summer months in a popular tourist destination versus booking an Airbnb other times of the year and in cities where people live versus only holiday. That is the fun, challenge, and frustration of using Airbnb :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lodger222

Hi,
    I am planning to sign up to Airbnb for the first time. I am just wondering does anyone have any information of the best offer or code to avail of.
    A search shows that last year they were offering up to $50 off first booking

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

Hi, if you sign up through friend's invitation both will get 18 euro credit . I can PM you my reference link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sinom

Anyone ever use air bnb in lake garda? If so, how was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freya01

I want to warn people not to book with a Host who calls herself Maria B or B Maria and Nena on AirBnB (Finsbury House Ballsbridge, Dublin) If she doesn't like you she will just throw you out without a valid reason and is very aggressive, insulting and rude. She never gave me her real name which is a bad sign and lied about her listing, gave me the wrong address and lied about doing renovations and also wanted me lie to the neighbours. Trying to avoid paying tax. Everyone should just stay away from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Did you report it to AirBnB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freya01

Yeah I did but her profile is still up and AirBnB don't really care, they just want your money. I will never use AirBnB again.

You could leave a bad review in Airbnb itself - far more effective than posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lodger222

Louche Lad wrote: »
    You could leave a bad review in Airbnb itself - far more effective than posting here.
    The point about Airbnb is that a bad review from a guest is not posted if the host does not leave a review about the guest.
    Therefore when a host feels that a guest will leave a bad review , the host does not review the guest and as a result no bad review. Magic!

lodger222 wrote: »
    The point about Airbnb is that a bad review from a guest is not posted if the host does not leave a review about the guest.
    Therefore when a host feels that a guest will leave a bad review , the host does not review the guest and as a result no bad review. Magic!

Not correct. A review by a guest is still publicly posted even if the host doesn't leave a review.

There is a waiting period (can't remember how long) where if only one of the guest/host sends in a review, it gets held back until the other sends theirs in. After that waiting period, even if a host doesn't do their review, the guest's review is made public.

I've just looked now at a place I stayed at in July. My review of the place is publicly visible, and the host never did a review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Airbnb: Dream or Nightmare?

Ch4 at 10pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/airbnb-dream-or-nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

I was a big fan of AirBnb but Im not going to use it anymore now.
    The last few months, every time I try to book accommodation on it the host comes back and says that is not the price anymore and puts up the prices.

I have out the dates in when I search and select based on reviews and price.
    Then when I apply I have to wait 24 hours for them to come back with that crap about the prices not being set yet. So thats 24 hours wasted each time before I can try to nook something else. And then whatta you know it happens again with the next place I try to book.

Its turned into a waste of time now. Im finished with it.

AirBnb should really stamp out this sharp practice. If somewhere is up for a price on the website then that should be the price and the host should be bound to it. Otherwise dont allow them to have their property marked as available for those dates.

Sick of trying to book places on it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

appfry wrote: »
    I was a big fan of AirBnb but Im not going to use it anymore now.
    The last few months, every time I try to book accommodation on it the host comes back and says that is not the price anymore and puts up the prices.

I have out the dates in when I search and select based on reviews and price.
    Then when I apply I have to wait 24 hours for them to come back with that crap about the prices not being set yet. So thats 24 hours wasted each time before I can try to nook something else. And then whatta you know it happens again with the next place I try to book.

Its turned into a waste of time now. Im finished with it.

AirBnb should really stamp out this sharp practice. If somewhere is up for a price on the website then that should be the price and the host should be bound to it. Otherwise dont allow them to have their property marked as available for those dates.

Sick of trying to book places on it at this stage.

100% agree with you

I was looking for somewhere to complain to AirBnB but I couldnt be bothered at this stage.
    Ive wasted enough time with them now.
    If they really were bothered they would know this is happening and stamp it out.
    I havent the energy to chase them up.
    Id say this is happening with at least 75% of booking that I try to do that are more than about 2 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

appfry wrote: »
    Id say this is happening with at least 75% of booking that I try to do that are more than about 2 months in advance.

Hmm, wonder if it's AirBnB themselves pulling some shenanigans, like setting prices to some default or suggested value for time periods that the host hasn't priced out yet? Wouldn't surprise me if most hosts don't actually price more than a month or two out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just wondering, but are you looking to book for in-demand weekends of a big match or concert or event where there is massive demand and the prices of accommodation in general is just higher than normal ?
    Personally I cannot be bothered with air b n b as a hotel with a 24hour reception is just that bit handier than trying to meet a lad who may or may not be there on time, and if you want a holiday apartment for a week then theres other websites for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Airbnb now have an algorithm that allows hosts to let Airbnb to set the price ...in reality what it means is that you can get several different prices for the one property based of searches taking place within days or the same day as each other

The attraction of AirBnb for me was that I put in a price range and a location and know that I can now see all of the places in my budget where I want to go.
    The problem now is that i am back to looking at properties that are out of my budget, but I dont know that until I go through the trouble of trying to book it.
    Its a monumental waste of my time now and as such is no better than owners direct anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I've booked an Airbnb apartment in Toronto for Christmas but I'm a little worried that there's no reviews up on the website?

It was new on Airbnb when I booked it so I thought I'd give it some time and surely it would have reviews. Still no sign of any.

Should I be worried. Also the photos look slightly like concept photos to me?

sugarman wrote: »
    I'd be worried, not about losing money but more so that you'd be left with nowhere to stay at a very busy time.

It could be genuine, and it might be that someone is just trying to make a few quid on an empty apartment when they go home for Christmas themselves, that they usually wouldn't rent their place hence no reviews.

Did you message them?

Yeah they've accepted my booking etc. I also have a standby hotel booked on bookings.com just in case I'm left stuck but it's a horrible place. Toronto so expensive.

I have a son over there so I won't be left out on the street either way but would prefer to have my own space. And I've already paid the money for this apartment but presumably Airbnb would have to pay me back if it doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Bowlardo wrote: »
    100% agree with you

That's a pity. I've heard mixed reviews about Airbnb recently. Hopefully they work out these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah they've accepted my booking etc. I also have a standby hotel booked on bookings.com just in case I'm left stuck but it's a horrible place. Toronto so expensive.

I have a son over there so I won't be left out on the street either way but would prefer to have my own space. And I've already paid the money for this apartment but presumably Airbnb would have to pay me back if it doesn't exist?
    My sister is working for them at the minute. One thing she says that she can't understand is why people don't ring them the minute they find out there's a problem. Make sure you have the number handy just in case, they've been known to put people in hotels etc. if the booking falls through for some reason that's not your fault. She is in customer service and they get a lot of complains after the fact looking for refunds of hotels etc but they've already sorted themselves out and come home. In that situation it's harder for them to resolve.

My sister is working for them at the minute. One thing she says that she can't understand is why people don't ring them the minute they find out there's a problem. Make sure you have the number handy just in case, they've been known to put people in hotels etc. if the booking falls through for some reason that's not your fault. She is in customer service and they get a lot of complains after the fact looking for refunds of hotels etc but they've already sorted themselves out and come home. In that situation it's harder for them to resolve.

Thanks for that, I'll get the number and save it in my phone so I can contact them if there's any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

My sister is working for them at the minute. One thing she says that she can't understand is why people don't ring them the minute they find out there's a problem.

Maybe since your sister works for them, she's not familiar with the customer-facing resources, but I can't find a phone number anywhere on AirBnB's site, even when logged in. Only places I can find any possible contact numbers for them are various potentially dodgy third party sites.

It's been years since I've booked anything, so I don't know if they give you a contact number when you actually book a place, but even if they do, if you've misplaced your email or don't have access to it, how are you supposed to contact AirBnB for help? They go to great lengths to make it very difficult to do so, so it really shouldn't be surprising that people don't reach out when they have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Either you're making this up or your sister has no clue what she's talking about.

I defy you to find a contact number for them in your confirmation email or anywhere else if you needed it at a push.

Luckily my experiences have been positive but you're on your own if things go pear shaped.

Advertisement