Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Airbnb queries & info **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Quick question from AirBnb veterans - I've used it a few times myself but haven't come across this before.

We're looking for a small apartment to rent for two nights in Copenhagen next month, and I submitted a request to book one with 45 positive reviews. The host got back and asked me to connect on Facebook to chat about it, and as I suspected when he sent this request, would prefer to be paid in cash (rather than via AirBnb, presumably to avoid paying them a fee). I'd normally withdraw the request at this point but he seems legit and I can't fault someone for trying to make a little extra where they can! What do you think - are we leaving ourselves open to a world of hurt by going down this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ionapaul wrote: »
    Quick question from AirBnb veterans - I've used it a few times myself but haven't come across this before.

We're looking for a small apartment to rent for two nights in Copenhagen next month, and I submitted a request to book one with 45 positive reviews. The host got back and asked me to connect on Facebook to chat about it, and as I suspected when he sent this request, would prefer to be paid in cash (rather than via AirBnb, presumably to avoid paying them a fee). I'd normally withdraw the request at this point but he seems legit and I can't fault someone for trying to make a little extra where they can! What do you think - are we leaving ourselves open to a world of hurt by going down this route?

In short, yes. You don't know this person from Adam. Don't do it and report them.

I've done a couple of cash deals but only to extend a booking when I was already in situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

If you choose to pay or message outside the AirBnb system, AirBnb will not refund or assist you in any way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I believe there to be a major backlash to Air BnB, this Barcelona one seems to be significant.

Having lived beside Air BnB's I hope to see the end of them in the near future or very limited use for owner occupiers it's original intention.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/its-really-tough-out-here-irish-people-in-barcelona-say-antitourism-sentiment-growing-36024165.html

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

finbarrk wrote: »
    The thing I don't like about airbnb is that the host can cancel without penalty, whereas if the guest cancells it's penalised. Make sure there are good reviews before you book.

If I am lookimg at a place on Airbnb and while reading the reviews I come across one that says the host cancelled then I move on to the next property. Usually if you see a host cancelling one you see them cancelling more. And that one is not going to be me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

finbarrk wrote: »
    The thing I don't like about airbnb is that the host can cancel without penalty, whereas if the guest cancells it's penalised. Make sure there are good reviews before you book.

If I am lookimg at a place on Airbnb and while reading the reviews I come across one that says the host cancelled then I move on to the next property. Usually if you see a host cancelling one you see them cancelling more. And that one is not going to be me.

Hosts do suffer a penalty if they cancel repeatedly, according to this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation

It seems they can cancel once without penalty which I think is fair enough if something happens (sudden death in the family, or property gets flooded, or burst appendix or something else unexpected).

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Hosts do suffer a penalty if they cancel repeatedly, according to this: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation

It seems they can cancel once without penalty which I think is fair enough if something happens (sudden death in the family, or property gets flooded, or burst appendix or something else unexpected).

I usually would ask them why they cancelled if I see only one. But if I see more than one cancellation I just go to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I am due to take a weeks let on an apartment. Booked months ago. Messaged the host last night to arrange an airport pickup. No reply. How long should I give him before being worried?

Was pickup part of the deal?
    I'd reckon 48 hours. I have a place booked in the west this weekend and had to change the dates. Took 3 days for her to reply. Just didn't have a decent phone service in the middle of nowhere hence the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

We've just returned from holidays. We used airbnb for the first time ever and stayed at 3 airbnbs.
    2 were dumps and one was fantastic. I looked up the 2 bad ones again tonight to see how could I have been so naive as to get caught with them. Lo and behold the feedback on both of them was glowing from many previous visitors. Now I am an ordinary person with ordinary expectations and am bewildered as to how people could have loved these awful places. They were both genuinely dark and dreary, and the decor and furniture was old and tired. Both were like student flats from the 1980's. Am I missing something with airbnb? Why do people gush about substandard accommodation?
    Have I been unlucky or is airbnb feedback largely horse s**t? What has been the experience of other people on boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Loon E. Tick

Have I been unlucky or is airbnb feedback largely horse s**t? What has been the experience of other people on boards.ie?
    I have used it a few times for both apartments and a private room in a house. If it's a room in a house, then it's usually when just needing somewhere for one night. Otherwise I would use apartments for longer stays. I have found the reviews to be fairly accurate.

Two weeks ago on a trip to France, I used it for a private room in a house and also for an apartment. When I booked the room, the host kept sending me messages after I booked. He kept suggesting that he would collect me from the airport and show me around the area. I told him was no need as was renting a car and only staying for one night there and moving on to which he replied ok, no worries. He knew I was female from my profile photo. Then he kept sending the same message every few days and wanting to know the time of my flight and who else was coming with me, and gave me his private number. I didn't reply as I didn't want engaging him in conversation. He was an elderly man and reviews said he was friendly and no problems. If he was just looking to supplement his income by offering an airport collection service I would have no problem with that as some hosts do that but clearly state how much they charge, that it's an additional service they offer. So I was a bit dubious about his intentions and was starting to get the creeps. I would have cancelled if I had been going by myself.

The accommodation worked out fine and was exactly as people described in the reviews. There was no ensuite but there was a separate bathroom exclusively for the use of the room. When I was coming out of the bathroom I had a towel wrapped round me and as the bathroom was right next to the bedroom, I thought I could dash in and out quickly without being seen. When I opened the door he was standing there at the end of the corridor :eek:
    I think I was right about my instincts. Then he left a review afterwards in French and while it was positive, there was a hidden judgemental creepiness disguised in it which I understood from the particular term he used which left me less than impressed. I couldn't be assed reporting him to Airbnb but I wouldn't recommend him and didn't leave a review although the accommodation itself was excellent.

The only other difficulty I had was where I had booked an apartment just outside a village in Provence. The host had given directions but they weren't very clear so we ended up somewhere else albeit turned out to be quite near to the apartment. Even with roaming, the internet signal on my phone kept dropping so I couldn't access the airbnb to send her a message which she could translate as she had little English. I rang her and while I have some French I didn't know where I was so couldn't explain to her. I found someone who spoke English from the area and he explained to her and she came a few minutes later. So communication barriers can be a problem and especially if the mobile signal isn't great to communicate and translate through the app. The apartment itself was great and very well equipped even though there were no other reviews as I think it was the first time let through Airbnb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I couldn't be assed reporting him to Airbnb

So, good luck to the next woman on her own I suppose.

spurious wrote: »
    So, good luck to the next woman on her own I suppose.
    QUOTE=spurious;104504395]So, good luck to the next woman on her own I suppose.[/QUOTE]
    That's quite an unfair comment to make implying that by not reporting that I am somehow responsible for someone else's future behaviour or that a single woman on her own is at risk. I didn't actually say what the comment in the review was that he left. On the face of it it was innocuous so hard to prove that it was meant in a sinister fashion. So I have chosen to leave it at that. I just didn't feel particularly comfortable and sometimes you can have a gut feeling and nothing more beyond that. Just not stay there again.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Where they cheap and/or in a good location? A lot of leisure travellers just want a bed in a good location, once the basics are fine, they're happy. Take the feedback with a grain of salt, what's nice to one person, is horrible to another. Best thing to do is look at their bad feedback first, and look for feedback relating to the photos (do they look the same in real life etc). I think the feedback system for Airbnb is mostly fine, it gives you a good idea of what you're booking.

If you're looking for decent quality Airbnbs, filter your search to only include 'super hosts' - you'll get the best Airbnbs listed that way.

Super hosts are not the best hosts. That's rubbish. They're the ones who make the most money for Airbnb. Usually have multiple lustings.

My 'Super Host' in Kuala Lumpur sent the cleaner an hour before I was due to leave. He has 22 places listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Mr.S wrote: »
    Where they cheap and/or in a good location? A lot of leisure travellers just want a bed in a good location, once the basics are fine, they're happy. Take the feedback with a grain of salt, what's nice to one person, is horrible to another. Best thing to do is look at their bad feedback first, and look for feedback relating to the photos (do they look the same in real life etc). I think the feedback system for Airbnb is mostly fine, it gives you a good idea of what you're booking.

If you're looking for decent quality Airbnbs, filter your search to only include 'super hosts' - you'll get the best Airbnbs listed that way.

The locations were OK but not anything special. Not right in the center of town or anything. The good airbnb was actually cheaper than the bad ones and in no less an attractive city. Some people seem to care that their guests are happy and other just seem to care about getting their hands or the guests' money at the least expense to themselves.
    Anyway - my question is are the reviews to be believed at all? In my limited experience they are absolutely meaningless.

The locations were OK but not anything special. Not right in the center of town or anything. The good airbnb was actually cheaper than the bad ones and in no less an attractive city. Some people seem to care that their guests are happy and other just seem to care about getting their hands or the guests' money at the least expense to themselves.
    Anyway - my question is are the reviews to be believed at all? In my limited experience they are absolutely meaningless.
    For me at least, I do think anywhere I have stayed the standards didn't deviate much from the reviews and photos very pretty reflective of the actual accommodation. I think for the most part the hosts do rely on good feedback, it's in their interests do so not to receive any negative reviews which is why I was a bit surprised by the attitude of that particular host I referred to.

I think people's expectations can depend on a few things particularly if you're staying in an area where there is high demand in high season with high occupancy with not many vacancies left. Then people can be grateful for just finding somewhere within their budget especially if it's for a short stay. Also people can forgive certain things where you might see reviews where cleanliness, for example wasn't tip top, but the host was friendly and allowed them to leave their luggage to be collected later on the day they were checking out. So an additional service like that might sway people in leaving a more positive review on balance even if some aspects were negative.

I dread to think what the price of hotels would be now without Airbnb and other short term rental sites in the mix.

Been 2 days here and no sign of the host at all. I just given the keys by his wife (speaks no English) and left to it.

I've had minimal interaction with a lot of hosts. Picked up key from a friend /shop on corner/concierge desk/mailbox and never met them or spoke to them.

My current host is a bit of a pain texting every day to see if everything is OK!

• Advertisement

I've had minimal interaction with a lot of hosts. Picked up key from a friend /shop on corner/concierge desk/mailbox and never met them or spoke to them.

My current host is a bit of a pain texting every day to see if everything is OK!

I love when the host leaves me alone.
    The last time I got the key in a box in the garden and left it back there when i left.
    Never heard from the host at all.
    It was bliss.
    He said I was great and I said he was great in the reviews.

It's just annoying when the host keeps messaging you. Better that they just tell you where to get the key before your stay and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We have used Airbnb 8 times in 3 Countries. Always Entire Place bookings.

We have had 1 negative experience out of 8 which was due to Cleanliness on a 2 night stopover stay in Greece. The Host was v nice etc but the Kitchen or Bathrooms were not clean. We were not cooking there and only slept there - if the stay had been longer we would have left. I did say in the Review that the Kitchen and Bathrooms were not clean enough and to be fair to the Host she said in her review that we left the place cleaner than we found it.

All 7 other places we were v happy with. All clean, as described and photos were accurate - one in particular the photos did not do the place justice !

We have 3 more places booked for this year and next - one is a repeat visit. I don't only look at Superhosts and only one of our stays has been one.

We are fans of Airbnb and as a family it beats Hotel Rooms for us on Budget and Space / Comfort and we have stayed in some really nice places.

I love when the host leaves me alone.
    The last time I got the key in a box in the garden and left it back there when i left.
    Never heard from the host at all.
    It was bliss.
    He said I was great and I said he was great in the reviews.

It's just annoying when the host keeps messaging you. Better that they just tell you where to get the key before your stay and that's it.

I'm perfectly happy to be left to my own devices. I like apartments in busy buildings where nobody notices you.

That said, I stayed in a place in Sri Lanka where the host and his wife lived downstairs, an elderly retired couple. They were wonderful hosts: showed me around the town, invited me to dinner in their home and he took me off for a day to his tea plantation in the hills. If the place had just had aircon it would have been perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We have used Airbnb 8 times in 3 Countries. Always Entire Place bookings.

We have had 1 negative experience out of 8 which was due to Cleanliness on a 2 night stopover stay in Greece. The Host was v nice etc but the Kitchen or Bathrooms were not clean. We were not cooking there and only slept there - if the stay had been longer we would have left. I did say in the Review that the Kitchen and Bathrooms were not clean enough and to be fair to the Host she said in her review that we left the place cleaner than we found it.

All 7 other places we were v happy with. All clean, as described and photos were accurate - one in particular the photos did not do the place justice !

We have 3 more places booked for this year and next - one is a repeat visit. I don't only look at Superhosts and only one of our stays has been one.

We are fans of Airbnb and as a family it beats Hotel Rooms for us on Budget and Space / Comfort and we have stayed in some really nice places.

I used Air B&B for the first time this year, but I didn't realise that the owner normally lived there and just moved out for the time we where staying there, we found it really hard to get used to as we had no where to put our clothes, we literally lived out of our suitcase for 9 days. The place was not very clean, especially the kitchen, I couldn't use it at all, I let my OH make the coffee in the morning as it really bugged me.

She left a review for us saying she has never seen her place looking so clean :rolleyes:

Is this what Air B&B is for the most part? people that normally reside there but move out when they have a booking? I much prefer when the person has the property purely as a rental as there is wardrobe space etc. and you don't feel like you are intruding in someones house with all their stuff around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Galadriel wrote: »
    I used Air B&B for the first time this year, but I didn't realise that the owner normally lived there and just moved out for the time we where staying there, we found it really hard to get used to as we had no where to put our clothes, we literally lived out of our suitcase for 9 days. The place was not very clean, especially the kitchen, I couldn't use it at all, I let my OH make the coffee in the morning as it really bugged me.

She left a review for us saying she has never seen her place looking so clean :rolleyes:

Is this what Air B&B is for the most part? people that normally reside there but move out when they have a booking? I much prefer when the person has the property purely as a rental as there is wardrobe space etc. and you don't feel like you are intruding in someones house with all their stuff around.

We have had a mix of - Hosts who live there full-time, Hosts who use the House as a Holiday Home themselves as well as renting it out on Airbnb, and then Properties which are pure Rentals.

Our first Airbnb experience (France) was a house that the family normally lived in and just moved out for the long weekend we were there. We loved it ! They had 2 Kids like us and there was a Playroom and Garden Toys. They had made an effort to clear space in the Bedrooms and Bathrooms. It was clean. But yes - it was mostly full of the family's stuff but it did not bother me.

For the most part the rest have been Holiday Homes also used by the Hosts so there would some of the families stuff there.

We have only stayed in one pure rental which was lovely but I found it a bit lacking of basics that would be in the other properties.

The one property which was not clean was one which was used by the Host as a Holiday Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I read something about the local authorities getting new powers regarding short term lets, I thought this was going to apply only to properties that are not owner occupied. Airbnb said that the new laws included house shares, but I found nothing online, has anyone else heard/read anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curioustoknow

Hi looking for advice about getting a refund from Airbnb, paid by mastercard. I booked a place in Dublin for my 17yo and his friend, facilities listed were not available and the host tried to evict them late on Sat night of the Halloween weekend, we argued that he let them stay as we couldn't find any hotel available nearby but he made them leave at 6 am. He was smoking cannabis and pacing the apartment in the middle of the night, so after hearing that and ensuring they'd left I reported him. Airbnb have fobbed me off and I don't know if I have a case to get some money back. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curioustoknow

It was the host! He had no justification or complaint with them ie noise or damage but said his landlord was coming round so they had to leave, this was 21.00 Sat night Halloween weekend, he finally agreed they could stay as couldn't find hotel at short notice and they had already paid him. Host then smoked cannabis and stomped around the apt all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It was the host! He had no justification or complaint with them ie noise or damage but said his landlord was coming round so they had to leave, this was 21.00 Sat night Halloween weekend, he finally agreed they could stay as couldn't find hotel at short notice and they had already paid him. Host then smoked cannabis and stomped around the apt all night

Guessing it was an illegal sublet?

Advertisement