Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Airbnb queries & info **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curioustoknow

Yes that's what we think, he said 1st he had an emergency but when asked what it was he then said you have to go I have somebody coming to look around and then said his landlord! Problem is airbnb won't list my review either as it's negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Yes that's what we think, he said 1st he had an emergency but when asked what it was he then said you have to go I have somebody coming to look around and then said his landlord! Problem is airbnb won't list my review either as it's negative

Airbnb have no problem listing negative reviews. I’m a super host, I’ve kept over 350 groups, 9 out of 10 give me 5 stars, but I’ve had a few terrible guests and when I did not let them do what they wanted, they ended up giving me 2 or 3 stars, even though all of their reviews are negative. So either the listing is removed and you can’t leave a review, or maybe it’s blocked, or you are doing something wrong.
    Because, believe me, it’s infuriating that bad guests with not one good review, can leave 1 or 2 stars to someone that has practically all positive reviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curioustoknow

Thank you for replying, this was my 1st airbnb booking and I don't know what to expect or do, I've used Tripadvisor many times and left reviews etc. and I do leave honest feedback. I think we've been unlucky and I'm more annoyed as it was 2 young guys who were hardly there and didn't cause any bother or noise as they were out at a gaming event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tigerbanana

I also have a question if anyone can help. I had a booking for 12 days in Malaga over Christmas/New Years, booked about 4 months ago. Yesterday the host cancelled our booking and we got our booking refunded. However the problem is accommodation in the same area has now either been booked up or has increased in price dramatically.

I'm struggling to see where i can contact anyone in Airbnb about this. Do they help source accommodation for the same price as what we originally booked? I'm relatively new to airbnb.

• Advertisement

I also have a question if anyone can help. I had a booking for 12 days in Malaga over Christmas/New Years, booked about 4 months ago. Yesterday the host cancelled our booking and we got our booking refunded. However the problem is accommodation in the same area has now either been booked up or has increased in price dramatically.

I'm struggling to see where i can contact anyone in Airbnb about this. Do they help source accommodation for the same price as what we originally booked? I'm relatively new to airbnb.

No, they will not help you get other accommodation, the host gets punished in that they cannot open those dates for reservation, also , they cannot be superhost for at least 1 year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Has anyone come across this in the last few days? I've booked on AirBnb in the past, most recently about 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to book somewhere now but it won't let me complete the transaction without uploading ID

Putting my reservations about uploading such documents to a big company aside, I tried to upload them and it won't accept it. They keep saying "please send a clearer photo". I'm guessing that whatever photo recognition software they are using is not recognising me ~10 years after the photo was taken!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note OP, I've moved your thread to the Travel forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You’ll probably have to contact their support section & request that an actual human takes a look at what you’re attempting to provide. Ask them if you can email the ID instead as the chances are they’re using automated software that doesn’t ‘like’ what you’re trying to upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

I booked 6 nights with Airbnb in an apartment in Spain. The price advertised on the site was €60 per night for the whole apartment which was all to ourselves. we booked through Airbnb but an hour later we got a message from the host saying the price has gone up to€70 per night. This occurred even though I got a receipt from Airbnb stating I had paid the total amount due.

Airbnb then told me my booking was cancelled as the host didn't wish for us to stay there. He was willing for us to stay if we paid the higher price if €70 per night. I complained to Airbnb customer support but my complaint appears to have fallen on deaf ears. The told me the host us within their rights to cancel on a guest even if they have paid already.

Anyone ever had this experience?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

horsebox7 wrote: »
    I booked 6 nights with Airbnb in an apartment in Spain. The price advertised on the site was €60 per night for the whole apartment which was all to ourselves. we booked through Airbnb but an hour later we got a message from the host saying the price has gone up to€70 per night. This occurred even though I got a receipt from Airbnb stating I had paid the total amount due.

Airbnb then told me my booking was cancelled as the host didn't wish for us to stay there. He was willing for us to stay if we paid the higher price if €70 per night. I complained to Airbnb customer support but my complaint appears to have fallen on deaf ears. The told me the host us within their rights to cancel on a guest even if they have paid already.

Anyone ever had this experience?

Thanks

Yep, that's how it works, exact same can happen with a Hotel.

However the guests ratings will show that they cancelled.

What happened compares to agreeing a price of a loaf of bread with a shopkeeper and after you buy it the shopkeer then decided to increase the price of the loaf.

Airbnb tell me the host made a mistake with the price he advertised on their website. My understanding is goods and services should legally be sold as described??

Exactly. I believe the booking should be honoured at the price advertised and the price I paid with my credit card. Who regulates Airbnb if they are even regulated? I never heard of this happening with a hotel b4 as someone on this thread said.

I've reserved stuff on Argos and when it came to picking it up, was told that they no longer have it in stock , or that the listed price was a mistake, I have not received the goods, so there is no contract.
    With Airbnb, you have not actually paid the host yet, youve paid Airbnb, the host is not paid until a day or two after your arrival.
    Having said that, it's very rare for a host to cancel, and it can mean that the apartment can be put up again in a lot of cases. Also, I had a similar problem with Airbnb, they 'upgraded' their system, and when they did, it meant that my listing was put up as available, even though I only make that particular one available at certain times. It also changed my prices, it gave set prices, whereas I charge extra on weekends, Bank Holidays, peak season etc.

You were getting a place at a great price, the host or Airbnb made a mistake, and they rectified it, you are not out any money, I fail to see why you have an issue with it?

It is not a hotel, but there are lots of hotels to stay in if you feel it suits you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Exactly. I believe the booking should be honoured at the price advertised and the price I paid with my credit card. Who regulates Airbnb if they are even regulated? I never heard of this happening with a hotel b4 as someone on this thread said.

Whatever about the ins and outs of the situation the booking can't be honoured. It's someone's apartment and they don't want you to stay there.

Not very helpful in terms of the last two comments. I'm asking who regulates Airbnb??? Thanks

Goods and services must be sold as described under the sale of goods and supply of services act. Also the consumer information act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Happens frequently in Germany when a trade fair is announced, they cancel your booking saying they have no room available then jack up the price and offer the room again.

Also happens in Dublin with concerts

Sounds illegal to me

Sounds illegal to me

I don't think you're grasping the concept. In general, people are using AirBnB as a middleman to rent their private home to a stranger. If they then change their mind that's inconvenient for the guest and if they continually mess people about they'll probably be removed from the site.

There are many reasons for cancelling. A place I stay regularly had to cancel because they had a massive leak. Cancelling a booking to get a higher rate is poor form but hardly illegal.

AirBnb cannot force a host to take a guest, therefore your booking cannot be honoured. No amount of bar room law is going to change that.

Have you done Airbnb before?
    I have hosted over 400 times, I have stopped one couple at my door from coming in, they were rude. I have stopped people when they sent a message the day of their arrival, demanding I let them in, I cancelled their booking, both of these times, I kept their money, as the email/messages within the app are proof to how your business is conducted. Airbnb review these and can see when they were sent and when/if they were read.
    I am renting a room in my home, I have a set of guidelines that need to be adhered to, if you do not agree to these, then I do not want you here. Likewise, the guest expects the same of me, my listing must match my description.

If I accept a booking, but then I read that the person has a lot of negative reviews, I can cancel and give them a refund. If there are no reviews and the guest is asking questions that are already in the listing, it is my prerogative that I can cancel them, if they are not following airbnb's guidelines.

Airbnb have a community online, they give you all the do's and don'ts, as well as answering any questions you may have.

Airbnb have a phone number that you can reach them on if you are a super host, and I have found then very receptive.

I have also contacted them as a guest, and found them very helpful when one of my hosts was not being responsive.

Judging by how upset you seem, perhaps Airbnb is not suited to you? As Ive said in a few of my reviews, to guests that were not suited to sharing my house, they may be better renting an apartment to themselves, they may be happier in a B&B or a hotel or a hostel.

Such is life, maybe this is just not for you, but in my experiences, I have been left 5 stars for communication etc by 86% of my guests, 4 stars by 13% and 2 stars by 1%

That 1% should not have chosen to stay in my house, everything is exactly as described, but they either failed to read the description or were unhappy with their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Anyone have experiences where the airbnb hosts expect you to leave the place near sterile when you leave? 
    I always leave a place tidy, empty the rubbish, remove all food, wipe down kitchen surfaces, never leave dirty dishes, place used towels in the laundry basket or in a bathroom corner, etc.. just a general tidy. But I do not vacuum, bleach the toilet, shower, scrub the fridge etc. I left an apartment after a 1 week stay, I left it tidy, as I described above, removed all my rubbish, food, etc.. . Afterwards I got a very long message from the host with a list of things that I didn't do for example, clean the oven,  the shower glass, toilet, vacuum the whole place, etc... the list was essentially a deep-clean list. I had paid a 20 euro cleaning fee, and even if I didn't, this is considered part of life as a holiday-let host .... you have to clean between guests. 
    I am paying guest - when I stay in a Hotel, holiday let or B&B, I am not expected to clean before I leave (I would never leave a mess either). Why is it that airbnb hosts are different? 
    She left me a negative public review.  I am not going to reply to her - I will ignore her. All my other reviews were positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Very misleading as you already paid a "20e cleaning fee".

Leave a review of this place warning others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Very unusual. Never happened to me before and I've used Airbnb in a few different countries. It's hoped that you won't leave the place in a kip but to clean the oven? Mental.

I'm exactly like you - I always leave the place tidy but nothing out of the way. Hosts always remark that I leave the place clean. She sounds like a nut job tbh. And the nerve of her after charging a cleaning fee!

I would reply to her to warn others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Had the same experience. We were in a small place in France and paid a cleaning fee as well. We also cleaned away all the rubish we had and made sure it was generally tidy. Then we were contacted that we didn't leave the place clean enough ie vacuum the place etc.
    He left us a negative review as well. Between that, someone telling us their grandparent had just passed away in the house and a kitchen covered in cockroaches we decided not to go with airbnb again.

Advertisement