Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision - It's not great is it?

Options
  • 18-07-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

So a few months back I moved into a new apartment and went with eircom for Fibre BB and TV (apparently I also get home phone but who needs that these days.. I haven't owned a house phone in over a decade!)

Anyway, the fibre is great.. stable and even though it's a lower speed than I had with UPC, it's much faster in practice due to lower contention I'm assuming so very happy there.

The problem lies with eVision.. put short, it's rubbish. The EPG is unusable as any sort of planner, navigation is awkward and slow and the box seems to randomly complain about not being connected to the broadband it expects so it requires fairly frequent reboots. Made a few calls to the helpdesk initially but they weren't overly familiar with this latest box so I was left to start playing with my home network settings myself (good thing I work in IT).

So as this is very little use as a TV service, I want to get rid of it but keep the rest... Can this be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So a few months back I moved into a new apartment and went with eircom for Fibre BB and TV (apparently I also get home phone but who needs that these days.. I haven't owned a house phone in over a decade!)

Anyway, the fibre is great.. stable and even though it's a lower speed than I had with UPC, it's much faster in practice due to lower contention I'm assuming so very happy there.

The problem lies with eVision.. put short, it's rubbish. The EPG is unusable as any sort of planner, navigation is awkward and slow and the box seems to randomly complain about not being connected to the broadband it expects so it requires fairly frequent reboots. Made a few calls to the helpdesk initially but they weren't overly familiar with this latest box so I was left to start playing with my home network settings myself (good thing I work in IT).

So as this is very little use as a TV service, I want to get rid of it but keep the rest... Can this be done?
    Hi Kaiser
    good to hear that you are happy with your eFibre service and sorry to hear about your experience with our tv product. The connection issue you mention should certainly not be occurring and re boots should not be necessary. Would you mind PMing me with your landline no and good contact number and we can have some one check this for you. It would be good to get further feedback on  this, if you were happy to provide this.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi Kaiser
    good to hear that you are happy with your eFibre service and sorry to hear about your experience with our tv product. The connection issue you mention should certainly not be occurring and re boots should not be necessary. Would you mind PMing me with your landline no and good contact number and we can have some one check this for you. It would be good to get further feedback on  this, if you were happy to provide this.
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

My apologies for the delay but I've been away the last few days.... PM on the way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I had this problem all the time for about a month. In the end a neighbor who works for the company that do the efiber installs had a look at it and said the homeplugs I was given were rubbish and known to constantly lose sync and give this issue. They've stopped using them but aren't offering replacements. I called up, got the new type of homeplug and I haven't had a single issue with it since. That's probably about 6 months ago now and not a bother. 

Out of interest the problem home plugs were these big white brick style ones with no colour on them. The new replacement ones have a dark eircom logo on the front. 

I had this problem all the time for about a month. In the end a neighbor who works for the company that do the efiber installs had a look at it and said the homeplugs I was given were rubbish and known to constantly lose sync and give this issue. They've stopped using them but aren't offering replacements. I called up, got the new type of homeplug and I haven't had a single issue with it since. That's probably about 6 months ago now and not a bother. 

Out of interest the problem home plugs were these big white brick style ones with no colour on them. The new replacement ones have a dark eircom logo on the front. 
    Cheers.. in my case the installer helpfully ran a cable directly from the main socket in the hall to where the TV is, so it's hooked up directly to the modem.

I am using my own homeplugs to extend the network to the rest of my apartment (brought them with me when I moved and they've always been fine) but the eVision box itself is connected directly via Ethernet to the modem as well.

Rebooting the eVision box usually corrects the problem when it occurs but even when its working properly it's virtually impossible to use the planner for the purpose it's intended which doesn't help either.

Hi Tony.. any update on this? Sent you a PM as a reminder on Monday.........

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks
    Hi _Kaiser_

Tony is not available at present, could you possible PM me and I'll look in to this

Thanks
    Al

Thanks
    Hi _Kaiser_

Tony is not available at present, could you possible PM me and I'll look in to this

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

PM sent/forwarded to you now..

Thanks

Still didn't get a response to this..... several PM's sent as requested previously.

As above, want to keep the fibre but the TV is not fit for purpose so want to drop it off the account. Please advise tomorrow (Monday) when back online.. thanks!

Hi _Kaiser_

Sincere apologies for the delays,

I have been informed by our technical support department that there has not been any reports to them of technical issues since the 10th of April - reference number 20776537

Technical support have also run a number of tests and have found no existing technical issue with your TV service however they have asked me to advise you to contact them again if issues occur.

I have also contacted eircoms cancellations team who have investigated this. The position of the cancellations team is that there is a cooling off period of 14 days from when you got evison where only then you can cease without charge and while you are unhappy with the EPG in comparison with other providers this is not accepted as a reason that the service can be closed of without early cease charge of €100.

I did convey your case in full but cancellations have made it clear to me that should you wish to appeal their position you will need to submit a formal complaint which will be investigated over a (up to) 10 working day response time frame.

You can lodge an official complaint online here: https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp - or by post to

Customer complaints
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough street,
    Dublin 1

I'm sorry I could not do more Kaiser

Thanks
    Al

Hi _Kaiser_

I have been informed by our technical support department that there has not been any reports to them of technical issues since the 10th of April - reference number 20776537

Technical support have also run a number of tests and have found no existing technical issue with your TV service however they have asked me to advise you to contact them again if issues occur.

I have also contacted eircoms cancellations team who have investigated this. The position of the cancellations team is that there is a cooling off period of 14 days from when you got evison where only then you can cease without charge and while you are unhappy with the EPG in comparison with other providers this is not accepted as a reason that the service can be closed of without early cease charge of €100.

I did convey your case in full but cancellations have made it clear to me that should you wish to appeal their position you will need to submit a formal complaint which will be investigated over a (up to) 10 working day response time frame.

You can lodge an official complaint online here: https://www.eircom.net/logacomplaint.jsp - or by post to

Customer complaints
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough street,
    Dublin 1

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks for coming back to me and the information above...

If I go ahead and cancel eVision (and pay the €100), what price would I be able to get the (uncapped) broadband only at?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Hi _Kaiser_

Customer complaints
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough street,
    Dublin 1

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

If I go ahead and cancel eVision (and pay the €100), what price would I be able to get the (uncapped) broadband only at?

Thanks again
    No problem _Kaiser_

I will certainly look in to this for you. I will send on a quote request to our accounts team and get back to you as soon as I have a reply - (will probably be this afternoon)

Cheers
    Al

Hi _Kaiser_

Customer complaints
    5th Floor,
    Telephone house
    Marlborough street,
    Dublin 1

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks again
    No problem _Kaiser_

I will certainly look in to this for you. I will send on a quote request to our accounts team and get back to you as soon as I have a reply - (will probably be this afternoon)

Cheers
    Al
    Did you ever get a price back on this Al?

Hi Al/team,

Following up on this... the TV has been unusable anyway for the past month as the error insists that it's not connected to the broadband it was registered to (it is!) but according to the My eircom page it's not even listed on my package anyway. Last month's bill was then reduced so I figured someone had removed it anyway - but now ye are looking for €73 next month for a service that doesn't work half the time!

So.. I want to cancel this and the home phone as I haven't even owned a physical desk phone in about a decade! THe only thing I want/need (and which actually does work well) is the fibre BB

Please advise how this can be achieved.. thanks!

Still chasing an update on this guys..............

Advertisement