Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The sort of posters/argument types you see on Boards

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

conorh91 wrote: »
    Look this is a thread on the internet about things you see on boards, we're not being asked to give exhaustive answers, just maybe throw out a couple of observations……. jeez are you pursuing anyone else's post to ask them why they didn't also mention X, Y, and Z? Get over it.

I'm not pursuing you, relax. I replied to your original post. I didn't even attribute anything mentioned directly to you i.e, I didn't imply you were on one side or another, I was just discussing the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

If their username is an innuendo or reference to some sort of illegal activity, chances are they're gonna be trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The ones who think there experts on certain subjects and when ever theres a thread about it they come flying in and take over.

Posters who use there gender or sexual orientation to win arguments or control a subject being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

The ones who think there experts on certain subjects and when ever theres a thread about it they come flying in and take over.

Any hint of Donegal and the backwards man posts in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

The genuinely curious crowd :rolleyes:

They come on with some painfully obvious and usually irrelevant question then slap genuinely curious on at the end.

I always imagine the poster sitting in front of their computer with their legs crossed incase they wet themselves with anticipation of someone answering their genuinely curious question exactly the way they hoped so they can then proceed with their argument.

It's hilarious when no one answers because that's their argument failed and over but like ants who've dropped a leaf they'll do whatever they can to set up the exact same question again to someone else until someone answers the way they want and they'll make their worthless and obvious comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shinnerbashers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

i have noticed a lot of posters who love arguing for the sake of arguing and they have all the terminology
    Strawman
    Logical Falacy
    Ad hominem

d1ckheads

eviltwin wrote: »
    The type who blame everything on Enda Kenny

you mean people who are anti-FG

as opposed to FG supporters (like you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Posters who tell you what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

psinno wrote: »
    Posters who tell you what you mean.

By that, you mean dickheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Posters who don't finish their

Dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Dinner?

No the ones who don't complete their

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Shinnerbashers

Bashing people for their political party loyalties is one thing - sneering at people because they're of a nationalist persuasion is quite another and there are a few on here who seem to revel in the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

1) The "walking rulebook" types that have to give a moral pronouncement based on a several line account of a situation, and that pronouncement is usually just quoting a rule from the rulebook without addressing any of the other rights or wrongs of the situation described.

Obviously made-up example:
    Poster: I was driving down the road last week, doing 62kph in a 60 zone. A garda car pulled me over and the guy shoved me up against the wall, started shouting abuse into my face, then left saying if he ever caught me speeding again he would find my family and murder them.

Walking rulebook: You were speeding.

2) The "wonderfully pithy remark" contributor: The type that even when they have nothing to contribute to the topic of the thread, can't fathom that the thread might be better off without their wonderfully pithy remark. The worse part is the remarks are usually jaded internet jokes/memes that have been around since 2001.

Duckjob wrote: »
    1) The "walking rulebook" types

Walking rulebooks
    brilliant
    did you invent this yourself

if so, well done.....I fcuking hate these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

People who generalise about people who disagree with them.

They're all the same. Bunch of bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

These threads are always so negative. The very nice, funny, intelligent people. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

steddyeddy wrote: »
    3. Disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing poster.
    Do you have links of said poster, and also a cert of their sanity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I really dislike how some people can't possibly imagine that someone might not feel exactly the way they do about a situation.

I often wonder if they live in a little bubble or possibly in strange small village where everyone is exactly alike with the same thoughts and feelings.

It's just bizarre.

Flippant example: Poster 1: 'I don't like the taste of carrots'
    Poster 2: 'You are wrong. You can't think that. It's totally impossible that someone doesn't like carrots.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Poster 2: 'You are wrong. '
    Poster 2:'There is something wrong with people like Poster 1:. They have some serious technophobia'

This is seen in discussions about payment transactions here on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The very nice, funny, intelligent people. :)

Who put demerara sugar in your corn flakes? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

The type of poster that seems to believe that Dennis O' Brien is responsible for everything from the extinction of the dinosaurs (monopolising fossils for his own shell company operated chain of museums in Malawi of course) to the fact that the number 9 arrived 15 minutes late this morning.

Also the type of poster who seems to believe that every country that isn't Ireland, particularly a European country (bonus points for Scandanivan examples) is a social and scientific Utopia and that their politicans are the upmost beacons of integrity and efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Poster 2: 'You are wrong. You can't think that. It's totally impossible that someone doesn't like carrots.'

Add to that this kind of poster, who assumes an objective goodness/quality in something entirely subjective:

A: I'm not a big fan of steak.
    B: That's only because you haven't had the right steak yet.

A: I don't really like music that much.
    B: You just haven't heard the right music yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Their is also the type of poster that leaves big targets in they're posts on purpose to attract attention to there posts.

lanos wrote: »
    Strawman
    Well I guess you'll hate me then! I use this word a lot, to describe some of the excruciatingly dishonest arguments you see on here. Loads of them on the Danny Ward thread alone.

Agony to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I see the typical poster as being from an older mixed suburb of Dublin, (e.g. artane) aged about 33 and male. Traveled a bit but never lived abroad for more than a few months. May have moved out of home for a while but is back with Mammy now. Still hangs out with a bunch of 'friends' from his teenage years. In reality only gets on with a minority of them.

I'm sure this image is false in most cases. I think it entered my head because of regular references to 'my area' meaning my suburb and 'I know a lad who...' Suggesting a wide circle of acquaintances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I see the typical poster as being from an older mixed suburb of Dublin, (e.g. artane) aged about 33 and male. Traveled a bit but never lived abroad for more than a few months. May have moved out of home for a while but is back with Mammy now. Still hangs out with a bunch of 'friends' from his teenage years. In reality only gets on with a minority of them.

I'm sure this image is false in most cases. I think it entered my head because of regular references to 'my area' meaning my suburb and 'I know a lad who...' Suggesting a wide circle of acquaintances.

Before you ask this doesn't describe me so much as what would fear becoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There is also the type of poster that leaves big targets in their posts on purpose to attract attention to their posts.

Like attracting grammar nazis!!!

lanos wrote: »
    Strawman
    osarusan wrote: »
    Well I guess you'll hate me then! I use this word a lot, to describe some of the excruciatingly dishonest arguments you see on here. Loads of them on the Danny Ward thread alone.

Agony to read.

yes, you are a prime example :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Well, this sounds familiar.

This type

• Advertisement

This type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Posters who imply they have a really interesting personal life and constantly find ways of dropping it into conversations with the hope someone will pick up on it, ask a question and give them an opening to derail the thread to talk about them.

I can think of two for definite, one who is a definite spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The 'serial stupid thread starter'.

Not you OP, but AH has 3 or 4 of them who seem to start 90% of the threads on here.

Ireland's worst rivers is one that springs to mind.That guy was a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Menas wrote: »
    Like attracting grammar nazis!!!

Fishing for grammer Nazis is almost as fun as fishing for fish.

Advertisement