Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help this bewildered and confused parent about connecting an Xbox to our wifi

Options
  • 18-07-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

My son has an old Xbox 360 and he wants to connect to our WiFi to update some of his games.

We have a 3 dongle that we use as our WiFi but his Xbox can't connect and we need to get a wireless network adaptor.

If I buy one of these on eBay will we be able to update his games? Are there different types of adaptors?

Sorry about all the questions but I know little or nothing about xboxes

Thanks
    Molly

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just the one type of adapter for those old Xboxs, so getting a cheap adapter will work.

Be aware though, if you've got a small limit on your broadband, then some updates could be pretty sizeable. You really don't want to be paying excess charges, or getting your connection reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There was actually two adapters for the old 360s, G (white, one antenna) and N (black, two antennas) -

ee50ea1d-f9f9-4d03-b363-61779e10ee3c.PNG?v=1

Either will do the trick, so don't feel the need to get the more expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Yeah be careful with that dongle, when you download the updates (after you buy the network adaptor) it could easily go over your allowance and be paying more! To be honest, you would be as well off get proper broadband into the house at probably just 10 euro or so more a month than keeping that three dongle going!! Honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

Thanks for all your answers.

As for changing to better broadband - moved to freesat 3 years ago so no Sky, got rid of landline so no Eircom. We live out in the sticks and only 1 option available that doesn't cost the earth each month so hoping to move to Airwave once our contract is up....

We have 60 gigs a month and only ever use about half it - kids don't seem to mind the broadband being slow but it drives me mad compared to the speeds my mother gets - joys of living in the country I suppose!!

Advertisement