Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon air show

• 18-07-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭

What did you think of it? Just back and disappointed a bit, had hoped the planes would be closer!
    Too many kids fairground rides too, queued an hour for a slide for the little fella!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Too many fairground rides but there was an hour queue for 1 of them? Surely that means there wasn't enough.

I'd imagine the overcast conditions wouldn't have helped the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

i thought it was a great day out to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Despite what Eircode think, Shannon Airport is in Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Nope, anpost confirms, I now live in limerick it seems. I hope dominos will deliver to me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I thought it was really good out there today, for a 5'er! (plus free entrance into Bunratty, Craggaunowen and King Johns tomorrow!) We have very few events on this scale. Yes, agreed there were huge queues for the fairground rides, and they could have done with double the amount of food stalls as wel,l as queue's were long enough for them too. But all in all I thought it was well organised, tons of porto-loo's, parking was organised if slow to get in and out of, but that's to be expected with such large crowds. Loved the aerobatic planes and the mig - not sure how much closer they could have been for safety reasons? My son, 12, was in Militaria heaven with all the Irish Army displays and gear.
    Might pop out to the Foynes one next weekend!

• Advertisement

I didnt even see the army gear! Where was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Thought it was a great day out. Fab planes and those acrobatic displays .. wow!

Also no queues for the loos. Can't remember the last time I went to an open air event with such large crowds and didn't have to queue for the loo.

Loved the MC talking about the RyanAir flight landing like it was part of the show :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

phill106 wrote: »
    I didnt even see the army gear! Where was it?

Up to the right, beyond the food/bouncy castles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Up to the right, beyond the food/bouncy castles.

Yes, loads of tents....and tanks...and guns....and bazookas! How could you miss it I wonder....it was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I went early around 10am with two 8 year olds. Went on all the rides and bouncy castles, about an hour or so later one of them wanted to go back to the big tall slide, no joke the queue must have been hundred people long. Thank god we went so early.

The army stuff was great, they were great with the kids. Some noise off the Viggen! My only really gripe was the very long walk in and out (more so the out as by the time we were leaving around half 4 the kids were wrecked and i was carrying them ha ha)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Overall very good but one thing that was missing was a timetable of events. We were there for half ten and by about one we decided to head away as we didn't know when the airshow was going to start. We went off to Bunratty and had a good time there.

For a fiver it was most definitely worth it but if we had a schedule of events we would have turned up much later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

The army stuff alone was worth the fiver. Armoured cars, bazooka, machine gun, mortars, cannons. The young lad was I his element.

That air display was good but they could have let people know when it was due to start. The VIPs arrived in buses just before 2pm so clearly it was known in advance and and they didn't need to leave people sitting around for an hour or two wondering what was happening. The grey sky didn't help but once it got started I enjoyed it. The formation flying was great and the Saab was loud. The Irish airforce was scary and not in an intimidating way. I think they were recycled spitfires. We're fecked if the Germans ever invade looking for their money back. The highlight for me was the Mig 15. 1950s fighter jet and Jesus it just glided through the air. So graceful. We had to leave early because the young fella was bored sitting in the same spot. We had been there for almost 3 hours half of which was wasted wondering when things were going to start.

The queues for the bouncy castles were nuts. I'd say it was an hour or more. It's a bouncy castle lads it's not Disneyland. Your neighbour will have the same one next communion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'm in Bunratty and anybody who went to the air show got free entry to the folk park.

Avoid the place. I'd say everybody from yesterday and more are here. Cars and people everywhere. The queue to get in is horrendous. There will be no comfort in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I thought it was excellent, we knew in advance the air display would start at 2 so not having any kids we arrived just in time for that. I thought it was great value!

Does any one have any idea who the MCs for the event were? One voice in particular was really familiar and it's bugging me since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If they carpet bombed Nenagh as part of the air show, it would have been great! :pac:

Went to the johns castle yesterday and managed to get into the folk park then around 4pm, found both to be very good.
    Loved the history of the castle, found it very interesting. Would like to see a full movie about the battles mentioned during the video clips in the show.
    Bunratty is on my doorstep and I cant remember the last time i was there. While it was busy, it wasnt too over croweded. Best value for 5 euro I ever got!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Was a brilliant day out - yes there were queues for the bouncy castles (but they were free!). Very well organised for the most part IMO. I think we got lucky with our car park as I did hear of folks who had a very long walk.

Went to Craggaunowen yesterday, traffic was mental but was grand once you got it. Bit of a queue to get in at King John's too but was well worth the wait.

Best value family weekend for a tenner ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

I thought it was excellent. I myself was at the spotting area, 24 end, which seemed like the best place to view the air show if you're a fanatic about planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I thought it was grand - two criticisms were that the queues for the rides were not always well managed, and also that at the end of the day, they just shut them down even though there was still a queue - they should have had somebody stand at the end of the queue and let people know that nobody else could join. But it was a good day - lots of army stuff, nice jets, plenty of toilets.

The next day I headed to both Bunratty and later King Johns Castle - all for a fiver. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

Great day. Five year old wants to be a parachutist. Will venture to Foynes Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Line up for Foynes today, few fast jets from last week will be there.

I'm out here at the moment and weather is okay at the moment, the sun is even attempting to break through but dress for rain if coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

source wrote: »
    Line up for Foynes today, few fast jets from last week will be there.

I'm out here at the moment and weather is okay at the moment, the sun is even attempting to break through but dress for rain if coming.

How did the show go out there today.?
    Hope the rain didn't ruin it for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

washman3 wrote: »
    How did the show go out there today.?
    Hope the rain didn't ruin it for everyone.

Didn't get to see it, had to be back in Limerick for 4 and the airshow was put back to a 3pm start.

Advertisement