Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodka + Dash €5.50

Options
  • 18-07-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Is it normal to pay €5.50 for Vodka + Dash in regular city pub ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Its certainly at the upper end of the price scale, but not uncommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think 5.50 is quite reasonable.

I've sometimes been charged €7

€5 + €2

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it normal to pay €5.50 for Vodka + Dash in regular city pub ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's certainly common in Dublin, but I see that was bought in Waterford, so I'd say it's a little expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Under 1.50 in Budapest:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mad m wrote: »
    Under 1.50 in Budapest:pac:

With a minimum wage of around €1,90 an hour itd want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You're not going to get a dash in most places in Dublin so you're paying for a pissy small bottle of mixer. €5.50 would be a very rare bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Good price, you'd even pay more than that here in the Netherlands or Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Perhaps this belongs in Bargain Alerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

In the local we normally pay €3.80 for the vodka and free dash , so was bit surprised to have to pay €5.50 .

A litre bottle of Smirnoff Vodka cost €25 in Tesco and it has 40 servings at 25ml each time .
    At €5 a short , this would give a turnover of €200 per bottle of vodka .

Its amazing what some people can accept as normal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

1 measure = 35ml

Anyway, you can guarantee that the bar is not buying the vodka in tesco at €25 . Probably paying a decent bit less

My problem is not as much with the alcohol as it is with the mental price of soft drinks. €3+ for 200 odd ml of coke. I've seen pubs sell cans at €3 to go with the spirit.

Bar has a lot of overheads

efb wrote: »
    Bar has a lot of overheads

The bar has massive footfall every day/night of the week , so lots of overheads would not justify these prices for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

efb wrote: »
    I think 5.50 is quite reasonable.

I've sometimes been charged €7

€5 + €2

Ya get charged that in the Palace efb. Thankfully iv only been dragged twice to tullamores premier nightclub

Anyway, you can guarantee that the bar is not buying the vodka in tesco at €25 . Probably paying a decent bit less

Realistically no. Smaller pubs will have worse wholesale prices than discounted retail

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

How much goes in tax to govt on spirits?

Some pubs do have free mixers, 2 litre bottle, but to buy mixer €5.50 sounds reasonable.

Ya get charged that in the Palace efb. Thankfully iv only been dragged twice to tullamores premier nightclub

I don't go to the palace. I rarely go out in Tullamore. If I do it's the Tap charged about €5

In the local we normally pay €3.80 for the vodka and free dash , so was bit surprised to have to pay €5.50 .

A litre bottle of Smirnoff Vodka cost €25 in Tesco and it has 40 servings at 25ml each time .
    At €5 a short , this would give a turnover of €200 per bottle of vodka .

Its amazing what some people can accept as normal .

They still have to pay someone to pour that drink for you
    And someone to Deliver it
    And for the bar itself, which was probably kind of expensive
    And for kitting it out
    And their taxes, PRSI, Public Liability Insurance, Sky, Heating, Electricity, Credit Card Machines.
    And their Publicans License
    And a load of other crap too long to list.

I would agree with you if they were serving Vodka out of a tent in a Super Valu Car park illegally.

AFAIK most bars make money selling food, it's very difficult to exist anymore by just selling alcohol without very high turnover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Where is that? That's surely not dublin as that's normally 7+ at least. In clubs anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    Realistically no. Smaller pubs will have worse wholesale prices than discounted retail
    These fools have only themselves to blame, the smart publican will buy in supermarkets when they have good offers on.

Some are just plain lazy, like tradesmen who do not bother to get good prices on stuff like pumps/paint/electrics. Instead they stupidly shrug and accept the first price they find and slap on a large margin. And then they wonder why they get no repeat customers!

The most stupid of all are the publicans who really do seem to think wholesale prices are all the same, and so insist supermarkets must be selling below cost. Most just take the public to be fools and hope they believe it while they know damn well below cost selling does not go on to anyway near the degree they make out.

Spirits are stuipdly expensive anyway, a shot of regular 37.5% spirits is equivalent in alcohol to a 2.3% pint of beer, or half a pint of 4.7% beer.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    These fools have only themselves to blame, the smart publican will buy in supermarkets when they have good offers on.

Some are just plain lazy, like tradesmen who do not bother to get good prices on stuff like pumps/paint/electrics. Instead they stupidly shrug and accept the first price they find and slap on a large margin. And then they wonder why they get no repeat customers!

The most stupid of all are the publicans who really do seem to think wholesale prices are all the same, and so insist supermarkets must be selling below cost. Most just take the public to be fools and hope they believe it while they know damn well below cost selling does not go on to anyway near the degree they make out.

Spirits are stuipdly expensive anyway, a shot of regular 37.5% spirits is equivalent in alcohol to a 2.3% pint of beer, or half a pint of 4.7% beer.

Many pubs do that and many people complain when they get a can of coke with "not for sale individually" on the side of it.

Also reclaiming VAT on supermarket purchases can add more administrative cost then it's worth

Many pubs do that and many people complain when they get a can of coke with "not for sale individually" on the side of it.
    If I had a pub I would have official heineken & supermarket stuff. I would have 2 prices, working on the same profit per bottle and openly disclose the prices. Let the customer decide, seems some morons will happily pay and extra euro or so just to not have "multipack" or whatever on the side.

I would also have cans, bottles and 2L bottles of coke, with prices set accordingly. I expect my 200ml cokes and "publican heineken" bottles would be getting dusty.
    Also reclaiming VAT on supermarket purchases can add more administrative cost then it's worth
    In some cases they could just forget about the VAT, they would still be saving.

I am surprised there is not some indpendent distributor supplying the pubs with drinks intended for supermarkets & offies -or maybe there is.

If I owned wetherspoons I would definitely have cans of guinness for sale, just so they could not say there is no guinness on sale there. I wonder what guinness would do, they could not exactly say/admit, "ah but sure our cans are crap"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Not worth the hassle. I had a cafe a while ago - it would have been cheaper to buy most items in Tesco, but the hassle made it not worth it.

Same with publicans there's enough other work to do than to go to supermarkets and work out what you need. Handy if you run out of something, but not for regular supply - even if its cheaper.

I am surprised there is not some indpendent distributor supplying the pubs with drinks intended for supermarkets & offies -or maybe there is.

The three majors - Diageo, Heineken, MolsonCoors - would do their damndest to ensure they don't get product, and they definitely wouldn't get the discounts the supermarkets get.

My local midi-supermarket which usually has UK sourced stuff clearly bought a pile of slabs in Tesco or Dunnes 24-for-24/26 promotions recently as he had the inner 6 packs of Irish product on the shelf.

If I had a pub I would have official heineken & supermarket stuff. I would have 2 prices, working on the same profit per bottle and openly disclose the prices. Let the customer decide, seems some morons will happily pay and extra euro or so just to not have "multipack" or whatever on the side.

I would also have cans, bottles and 2L bottles of coke, with prices set accordingly. I expect my 200ml cokes and "publican heineken" bottles would be getting dusty.

The brewery would make life very difficult for that establishment.

The brewery would make life very difficult for that establishment.
    Of course they will, but its still done. My friend is a barman and they get their heineken bottles from supermarkets, that's how they can afford to have better deals on it, and several spirits too. They do have heineken on tap too. Its a smaller pub, obviously some huge pub could not get enough from a supermarket to supply themselves, but I still wonder if they could import from the UK. The aviva stadium threatened to reimport guinness from the UK unless diageo dropped prices and I presume they did.

If I had a pub I dunno if I would even bother dealing with these bastards, just get everything from grey area suppliers.
    they definitely wouldn't get the discounts the supermarkets get.
    of course they won't, that's the point. There was one poster a while ago claiming to be in the pub trade who was being charged €35 for a case of longneck heinekens, I am not sure if that even included VAT. They are making fools out of publicans, who think all the public are as stupid as themselves.
    pile of slabs in Tesco or Dunnes 24-for-24/26 promotions recently as he had the inner 6 packs of Irish product on the shelf.
    hopefully he was smart enough to get 2 crates for €42 in tesco using the newspaper vouchers, well 43 if you include the paper price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

1 measure = 35ml

Musgrave currently has a "special" of smirnoff at 190.00 + vat for 12 bottles of 700ml. - About €20 each!

But yes vodka and mixer is pub's big earner. Whereas a pint of Guinness is the smallest.

But have a look at the amount of pubs going bust - not an easy business and everyone moans about prices.

Funny how no-one really moans about €3 coffees! (cost to make = about 35c)

delahuntv wrote: »
    Musgrave currently has a "special" of smirnoff at 190.00 + vat for 12 bottles of 700ml. - About €20 each!

But yes vodka and mixer is pub's big earner. Whereas a pint of Guinness is the smallest.

But have a look at the amount of pubs going bust - not an easy business and everyone moans about prices.

We were at a wedding last year in Co Westmeath and my OH started to complain about the vodka / that it did'nt taste like vodke in local pub.

I called the barman one side and told him , and he went around to the other side of the counter to pull a fresh vodka .
    He came back and said '' now she won't be complaining about this one ''

Not saying its widespread , but it opened my eyes about vodka / mixtures .

That works out at €27.82 per litre, in tesco smirnoff red 1L bottles are currently on offer at €25, which is fairly common.

We used to get "loans" of vodka from the local pub at closing time. I remember the manager asking how much the replacements were and saying he pays more.

Some distributors will add in extras like collecting empties etc, which you have to factor into the costs and potential savings.
    You will find plenty of threads about coffee prices. Rather than % markups I would also look at the profit per drink. So that coffee is a mere 2.65 extra above cost to make, bottled beers could be twice that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    How much goes in tax to govt on spirits?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/duties/excise-duty-rates.html

42.57 per litre of pure alcohol

Advertisement