Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Ferrata in Ireland

Options
  • 18-07-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I am looking for a Via Ferrata in Ireland but I can't find any on Google, I did once in France and I loved it !

Do you guys know if it exist here ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think there is one, much the same way there's no sport climbing here as attaching things to the rock is frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't think there is one, much the same way there's no sport climbing here as attaching things to the rock is frowned upon

There are bolted routes in Ballykeefe quarry in Kilkenny, its a pity in some ways we don't have any via ferrata, its a fantastic day out and makes mountaineering more accessible to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

SomeFool wrote: »
    There are bolted routes in Ballykeefe quarry in Kilkenny, its a pity in some ways we don't have any via ferrata, its a fantastic day out and makes mountaineering more accessible to everyone.

The Irish 'insurance culture' springs to mind as to why we don't have these as much as anything. If I recall correctly, the 'cliff path' on Bray Head, was closed for a while for insurance reasons and that's a pretty safe trek.

On the continent, people tend to take more responsibility for their own personal insurance, which in turn leads to them taking more personal responsibility for themselves. Hence you can have things like 'via ferrata' and let people use them according to their own experience and intelligence.

We have the 'compo culture' and blame somebody else, anybody else!! And if they can give a nice pay out, all the better :) I don't know where, when or how this crept in - it was far from this idea that our forebears lived in.

Advertisement