Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYG that supports tethering

Options
  • 19-07-2015 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all

I will be visiting Ireland next weekend (for the weekend)

Can any one recommend a mobile PAYG SIM that supports data tethering? Ideally one that can be purchased in store.

I don't need calls/texts. About 500mb-1gb will be sufficient

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

imnu wrote: »
    Hi all

I will be visiting Ireland next weekend (for the weekend)

Can any one recommend a mobile PAYG SIM that supports data tethering? Ideally one that can be purchased in store.

I don't need calls/texts. About 500mb-1gb will be sufficient

Thanks
    Three don't support it but it works fine. You could buy a pay as you go sim in store and buy 1-2 500mb data addons for €4.99 each. Or top up €20 and you have unlimited data

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cb1959

Three don't support it but it works fine. You could buy a pay as you go sim in store and buy 1-2 500mb data addons for €4.99 each. Or top up €20 and you have unlimited data

Meteor have a good offer of 7.5GB for €10. SIM card is free, so this is all you need to pay. Tethering is fully supported, as is Skype/Viber etc, and you get free access to all eircom Wi-Fi hotspots around Ireland. The only catch, is that you won't get access to Meteor's 4G network on this tariff. You need to go for their €20 tariff to get 4G also. This is not a major issue - as their 3G network is generally excellent, and certainly far better than Three's.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid the Three network entirely. They have been having major problems since they started to merge with the old Telefonica/O2 network in Ireland earlier this year. Most of their users are having major problems switching between networks and getting coverage. Their customer care agents on Boards are stating that the merger will take a couple of years to complete so this is not going to be sorted quickly. Some people are not as badly affected as others - it depends on area and those who have phones purchase from Three Ireland seem to be less affected than those who bring phones from other networks. If you are only here for a weekend, Three is best avoided. I suggest you also avoid all the MVNO's that piggy-back on the Three network. (Tesco, Lyca, 48 etc.).

Advertisement