Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring circuit fed/controlled by two MCBs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

doozerie wrote: »
    So 4 wires into one socket on the radial circuit is actually okay?
    I thought you had three sets.

But it's what the manufacturer states is appropriate for their accessories which is relevant.

As stated this is typically 3 conductors per terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This might help clarify, this is the current wiring situation:

Board --- Socket1 --- Socket2 --- Socket3 --- Socket4 --- Socket5 --- Socket6
    / \
    / \
    Socket Switched FCU
    / \
    / \
    Cabinet lights 2x 2-gang outdoor sockets

There is currently no accessible route from the FCU to any socket other than Socket3, so either I live with the wiring as is or go chasing walls to wire the FCU to some other socket. Neither option is appealing, the simplest one is certainly to live with it but if there is real risk associated with that then I'm reluctant to expose us to that.

I've already encountered one existing socket in the house that appears to have been wired exactly like that for some time before we bought the place but I've no idea what devices might have been run off that so the fact that it doesn't have scorch marks around it doesn't give me much comfort. Fundamentally I'm trying to figure out whether the risk involved in the new botched wiring above is largely academic or very real. I imagine there is much worse wiring in active use daily in many places but that's not much comfort either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

..well, that "diagram" didn't work very well, though it's probably more representative of some of the wiring in the house now!

Here is another effort, just showing the additions to Socket3 (i.e.in addition to the two wires to Socket3 for the radial circuit):

Socket3
    Switched FCU
    2x 2-gang outdoor sockets
    |
    |
    Socket
    |
    |
    Cabinet lights

Advertisement