Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby chick abandoned

• 19-07-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi there I have a small baby chick on my driveway all alone chriping for its mum but she doesn't seem to be coming. I have watched for half an hour and shes all alone. I don't think she would be hard to catch. should I take her in? what would I feed her? please help im kind of panicing because we in an estate with lots of cats!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wouldn't take the bird in (sounds like a fledgling, so very close to independent), but I would try to move it to a safer spot... Maybe into a hedge, until mammy comes back... She may well be very nearby but cautious to reveal herself if there are cats/humans/dogs about.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

yes thank you she has moved away by clumsy flight a few times but god love her shes chirping her heart out and mammys not coming at all. im watching out for cats and ive put out wild bird food to attract the mammy. thanks for taking the time to reply im so worried for the wee scrap she so scared id say

Ok ive had to move her a cat was far too close for comfort. I have her outside my back door in a shallow box. I can sit here and watch for cats. Mum is definatly not coming back. My main Question is what can I give her to eat I feel she just needs her strength building up? any suggestions really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I found a group of fledglings that had fallen out of the roof of our slatted shed recently, I stuck them into an old cycle helmet and hung it off the door so they were safe but the parents could find them. And they did come back and fed them in the helmet for three more days before they properly fledged!

I'm guessing it could be a sparrow as they peep to beat the band. Can you take a photo?

How do you know mam's not coming back?
    If there is a cat threatening the chick, you can be sure mam will keep her distance.
    Can't advise on what to feed until we know what species the bird is. Any chance of a photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Depends what kind of bird she is, can you take a picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could well be your presence that is keeping mum away, the cycle helmet type idea is a good one.Put the chick in something away from cats' reach then leave it alone. It is highly unlikely that you will hand rear it.

Sorry I do have a foto on my fone but don't know how to put it on here. I know what ye are saying I don't want to interfere too much. but I couldn't leave her there for the cat. At the minute she is in a straw type storage box over on its side outside the back door where I can watch for cats with a few breadcrumbs in the box

Does it look like this?
    366040.jpg

or like this

Littlerobin.jpg

First is a sparrow, second a robin. I probably should have asked the size of the fledgling, I only assumed small! I wouldn't leave it breadcrumbs, it's not great for birds. Any sort of meat or seeds, although it wouldn't know yet how to feed itself.

Kovu thanks for taking the time to post those pics. Its a swallow fledgling. Makes sense lots of them here around and I googled for a pic. I have her out in front drive where I found her now she has ventured out of the box and is calling which is good I think. Ive wild bird seed put out. I just got himself to run up to supervalu.Im watching for cats from the house but leaving her alone so her mam can find her.

• Advertisement

If it's a swallow fledgling it won't eat seed! The parents won't land on the ground (I don't think, could be wrong there) but will swoop over the chick trying to encourage her to join them. This may sound weird.....but is there any way you could put her on the roof? The first 'dive' from the nest is important for the swallow chick and it probably needs height to take off again.

Thank ye all so much. Its a happy ending! Im not sure how its happened but its back up in the nest with its mammy. Its nest apparently is on the highest part of next doors angled roof (knocked in to ask them if I could snoop around their garden after she disappeared)
    I sat at the window to scare away any cats (lots of them around snooping) and the minute I got up to get my fone she was gone.
    So happy. You are right Kovu no wild bird seed or dog food ( I put a spoon of it out too) touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Good news. This time last year I remember looking out the window watching swallow flight school as they swooped from the utility room roof to the fence and back again rather ungracefully under the watchful eye of their parents.

Well done bertsmom! :)

For future reference, swallows don't do seed at all. They eat flies, moths etc.

Delighted to hear the little mite is safe, fair play to you for minding him/her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It must have been the weekend for abandoned fledglings. Here's one I found

19783194536_036781dd21_z.jpg

Aw shes gorgeous! Is the nest nearby? Do you think she can get back to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

bertsmom wrote: »
    Aw shes gorgeous! Is the nest nearby? Do you think she can get back to them?

No hope of me getting her back into the nest as she is most likely a House Martin and the nest is under the eaves of some house nearby. I'd do more damage disturbing a nest by trying to get her back into one, even if I guessed the correct nest.

Advertisement