Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to a new address

Options
  • 19-07-2015 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

So, how does it work if I want to move my Electric Ireland account to a new address?

Who validates the meter reading on the day I move in to ensure I'm only being billed for my usage from the day I moved in?

What if I put in 1 reading, and the previous tenant puts in another, who resolves this? Which reading is used by you guys?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi patricksmyth,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We would always ask that the customer takes the reading themselves as the meter is read four out of five times a year.

If we have already been supplied with a reading already by the outgoing occupant or landlord or agent, we are required to use the reading we already have on file unless it is an estimation. If there is an estimation, we would be able to use the reading provided by the incoming tenant if the move out is not completed or if no reading was given for the move out. We may also require a picture of the meter in cases where there is a big difference in the readings. If there is any confusion over what the correct reading is, we would recommend discussing this with the previous occupant, landlord or letting agent.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭patricksmyth

hi aoife.

thanks for your reply.

can i ask as well - if im not sure how long the new place has been vacant, how would i ensure that i have a new account setup and ready to go from the day i take over? i dont want to be hit with any disconnection or reconnection charges from the previous tenant and i want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭patricksmyth

And another question too please...

Ive been told the new place has a day/night meter. Will this limit options available to me?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi patricksmyth,

The property owner, landlord or letting agent normally would take responsibility when the property is vacant. As long as there is a supply to a property, a standing charge applies even if there is little or no usage. If nobody takes responsibility for the property, it will be disconnected. Have you checked if the supply is currently connected? If the supply has been disconnected a €79.45 reconnection fee applies in the case of electricity and €72.54 in the case of gas.

We can check if we are the current supplier if you confirm the following details for us via private message:

- Your full name
    - The MPRN and/or the GPRN number for the property
    - The full address

We can then look into your query for you.

Thanks,
    Aoife

Advertisement