Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyperthyroidism in cat

• 19-07-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

So our cat that's 10 years old has hyperthyroidism. He was on medication for it but he got an allergic reaction so he is now on a low iodine food diet.
    The problem is theres not much choice of flavours for him so he gets bored.
    Has anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

With the Y/D food it has to be absolutely the only thing they eat. Even a sneaky bite of another cat or dogs food will interfere with it working. You could speak with your vet about referral to have the thyroid glands removed or radioactive iodine therapy at UCD if the meds and food don't work for you. Still a young cat at 10yo. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nightingale

I am having the exact same issue with my hyperthyroid cat, except she has the complication of having high blood pressure and kidney problems and only a few teeth. She can only eat wet food and really hates the prescribed k/d food so I am really struggling to get her to the optimum health she can be at. UCD suggested to my vet that she have the the radioactive iodine treatment but my vet says she is too weak for it. Her average weight is about 1.3-1.5kg (she is a small cat anyway but she is tiny now really).

If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know.

I forgot to mention that my girl is on 2x2.5mg Felimazole and 1/8th Istin per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I am having the exact same issue with my hyperthyroid cat, except she has the complication of having high blood pressure and kidney problems and only a few teeth. She can only eat wet food and really hates the prescribed k/d food so I am really struggling to get her to the optimum health she can be at. UCD suggested to my vet that she have the the radioactive iodine treatment but my vet says she is too weak for it. Her average weight is about 1.3-1.5kg (she is a small cat anyway but she is tiny now really).

If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know.

I forgot to mention that my girl is on 2x2.5mg Felimazole and 1/8th Istin per day.

If your cat is taking Felimazole then you should be feeding her whatever food she likes to increase her weight. The dose of felimazole might need to be increased maybe speak to your vet. The idea of the low iodine food is so they don't have to take medication. Our cat was on the medication but he has come off that, now that hes on the low iodine diet.
    The radioactive iodine treatment is not really an option for our cat. He's an indoors cat with a heart murmur so 10weeks or whatever it is away in UCD would be torture for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP could you maybe try a home prepared diet?

tk123 wrote: »
    OP could you maybe try a home prepared diet?

We have been looking but cant find anything. Don't want to mess it up for him.
    He eats the dry food, no problem its just the canned food he eats some days & doesn't the next.
    He also gets desperate looking for something different to eat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Help!!!! wrote: »
    We have been looking but cant find anything. Don't want to mess it up for him.
    He eats the dry food, no problem its just the canned food he eats some days & doesn't the next.
    He also gets desperate looking for something different to eat

I found this from a quick google - http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/posts/list/30/314365.page

My dog is hypo and has really come on since starting him on medication and changing his diet a little - he was already raw fed when he started on the medicine though. His levels are stable which is brilliant - he just needs bloods every 6 months. When I was hyperthyroid I was in the GP every other week for bloods when it was at it's worst!

I sent his first blood results to http://www.hemopet.org/ for analysis but I'm not sure if they just do consultations for dogs? Jean Dodds is the world authority on pet thyroid issues and will give you better advise than any vet you'll see here.

So is it ok to give raw meat? Is there much iodine in raw meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Help!!!! wrote: »
    If your cat is taking Felimazole then you should be feeding her whatever food she likes to increase her weight. The dose of felimazole might need to be increased maybe speak to your vet. The idea of the low iodine food is so they don't have to take medication. Our cat was on the medication but he has come off that, now that hes on the low iodine diet.
    The radioactive iodine treatment is not really an option for our cat. He's an indoors cat with a heart murmur so 10weeks or whatever it is away in UCD would be torture for him.

The other poster is talking about a cat with hyperthyroid AND kidney disease hence the need for K/D. She should stick to vets advice on diet as multiple issues going on in that cat.

If using the Y/D you cannot feed home prepared food and especially not raw meat. Y/D is a prescription iodine deficient diet. They have to clean the entire factory before they make it in a few batches a year to ensure no traces of iodine from previous diets. You cannot use this diet in combination with any other diet. If you cannot use the Y/D then consider one of the other three options, meds, surgical removal of the thyroid glands or radioactive iodine therapy. As far as I know it is far less than 10 weeks to be hospitalised after radioactive Iodine therapy. I would be thinking more like 1-2 weeks at referral centres near where I am.

Hope that helps

Advertisement